Author Topic: Episode 92: I Can't Believe It's Not Beta  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Episode 92: I Can't Believe It's Not Beta
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:24:07 AM »

Zach Miller returns to Radio Trivia! Is paleontology somehow involved? Probably, but we make no promises.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/radiotrivia/26251

Did you like the third and fourth games? Let your fellow listeners know in TalkBack! Think you've got a better choice? Then send it my way and your request might be on the next episode of Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition!  Heck, throw in a question and specific songs if you want.  Just remember, it has to be a game found on a Nintendo system in North America (unless we say otherwise)!

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Episode 92: I Can't Believe It's Not Beta
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:25:13 AM »
Games featured in this episode:

Star Fox Adventures (GC)
Pokémon Red and Blue (GB)
Chameleon Twist (N64)
No More Heroes (Wii)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Wii)

(Highlight the text above with your cursor to view it.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:19:29 PM by TheYoungerPlumber »
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Scatt-Man

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 04:11:20 AM »
Lookin' forward to listening to this in bed. *Shyface.jpeg*

Just have to say that that's an awesome article tagline.  ::)

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:38:49 PM »
I went 4 for 5 this time, perhaps a personal best.  :D

Game 1 - First I thought it was Endless Ocean until I heard the hint question. Didn't play this one all the way through, but what I played was pretty engaging. Not the best game on the platform or genre, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

Game 2 - Wow, I'm surprised that this one hasn't been used before. Really did enjoy this title as well as the most recent ones.

Game 4 - Very nice picks here, all sound different and can certainly throw some people off. Despite the limited gameplay, I found it engaging enough to play through several times as I did.

Game 5 - Music sounds pretty distinct as was noted and the game is a very good one.

Overall, a great episode.  ;D
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »
1 for 5, you can probably guess the 1.

So now that we got the '08s out of the way, what's the earliest listener request in the queue?

Also, counting specials/listener shorts this is actually the 100th episode. Congrats, TYP!
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
TYP, did you go to school to learn Japanese?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »
Yes you guys heard right, indeed I was supposed to be in this episode, but TYP's computer derped on him badly and we lost everything. It was still fun recording what we had, and look forward to doing a FULL episode soon.

But if you guys are interested in what I had to say about these games...

Game 1: Back in the day people made it out to be THE WORST GAME EVAH. I disagree. It wasn't the best, in fact at times it was pretty par, but it was far from the worst game either. I can mention games that are far worse that this one. I remember liking it back in the day, though I agree with Zach, it had a lot of problems.

Game 2: What can I say, I was addicted to this game. Regarding the music, though, I said that it was impressive what they did with it back in the day. Considering that this was an 8-bit Game Boy game, the soundtrack was surprisingly dynamic and very catchy. The song TYP mentions being weird (and was included) is actually the star of many urban legends floating around the internet. One of them says that kids and teenagers committed suicide listening to it because, apparently, it has a sound that only they can hear, and it instructs them to kill themselves. Creepy, no? :p

Game 3: I had never heard of the game before, and it all sounded like an SNES game until TYP pointed to me it was from another system. Never played it so I can't comment on it.

Game 4: Oh man, I could have talked so much about this one. OH...SO...MUCH. I LOVE this game and too bad Zach didn't play much of it in order to offer a counterpoint to TYP. Without spoiling much, this is the sort of game whose presentation, story and characters are so over the top that you almost forgive any flaws present. Again, I could have said a lot about it since it is unique and one of my favorites.

Game 5: Really enjoyed the music you picked for this! However, during the conversation, you had the wrong music playing. You were playing music from game 2 instead of game 5.

Anyways, you and Zach did a great job and it was a lot of fun, especially at the end with the bonus audio XD
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
TYP, did you go to school to learn Japanese?
Yes, but I wouldn't say I actually learned Japanese. I took away some grammatical tips, how to read/write kana, and some very limited vocabulary. I most certainly cannot hold even the most basic of conversations, even after living in Japan for almost a year. I wouldn't recommend trying to learn conversational Japanese through school. Getting the basics there is all well and good, but finding a Japanese speaking partner you're comfortable attempting to hold a conversation with is vital, and something I never really found.

Game 5: Really enjoyed the music you picked for this! However, during the conversation, you had the wrong music playing. You were playing music from game 2 instead of game 5.
For Game 5, I always play a few songs from that game in the background, then reprise songs from other games from the episode. That's just the way I do it :)
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 10:55:34 PM »
For Game 5, I always play a few songs from that game in the background, then reprise songs from other games from the episode. That's just the way I do it :)

Oooh I see. That was neat, but it confused me a bit since the conversation did not match the music in the background.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
I was able to identify Game 1 and 2 only.

Game 1 - I love that game, and when that tribal music hit, I knew what game it was. SFA was a great mix of Fox and Zelda with that Rare polish.

Game 2 - Wow, this game hadn't been used before? I LOVE that Game Boy sound of the original.

Game 3 - Never played the game, and the music wasn't too great.

Game 4 - When that full lyric song hit, I was like WTF? Zach and I both guessed wrong with Silent Hill: Shatter Memories. Oh, I love No More Heroes.

Game 5 - Awesome music! I bought the game but haven't opened it yet.
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 11:11:14 PM »
So now that we got the '08s out of the way, what's the earliest listener request in the queue?

Also, counting specials/listener shorts this is actually the 100th episode. Congrats, TYP!
I think there are a few more from 2008. I don't pick requests chornologically. To be clear, I have no formal process for how I select requests. I pick those I like more or that I feel compliment the lineup of a given episode.

And thanks for the congrats! I should plan something special for the real Episode 100....
Nintendo World Report

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
This is the first one I got most of them.  Good to hear Zach on again.  Wish the first recording didn't get lost.  Pedro is always the very enthusiastic in the discussions.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »
I would have guessed correctly on #1. Was thinking a spin-off for #2 because how has that game not already been used? And I definitely knew #4.

Wasn't there a much improved sequel to #3? I never played either.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
I would have guessed correctly on #1. Was thinking a spin-off for #2 because how has that game not already been used? And I definitely knew #4.

Wasn't there a much improved sequel to #3? I never played either.

There was indeed a sequel to game #3. I never played either as well.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer