Author Topic: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100  (Read 32428 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Classic launching in December 2018 for $100
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
$100 jeez

Buying the real deal doesn't cost that much.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »
It outputs in 720p but it doesn't render at 720p so who cares? It only outputs at 720p because that's typically the minimum supported resolution via any TV's HDMI port these days, same with the NES and SNES Classic.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 08:38:39 AM »
Do the Nintendo classics have all those extra functions which aren't on this one? I saw a couple neat touches, like using the disc tray button at 'swap the disc' moments, and it emulates internal memory cards including the game logos.

That said, no PS1 start-up sound, no buy.

Nintendo classics out of the box have the reset button take you out of the game and back into the main menu.  There are also (i think 4?) save slots for each game on the NES/SNES classics. 

If you don't have qualms with modifying the software, you can pretty easily assign the reset input to the controller.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 08:45:32 AM »
$100 jeez

Buying the real deal doesn't cost that much.

Depends on what you mean. 

For a PS1 console and two controllers?  Sure, I easily can find that around for $25.

For the same list of games on top of that?  no.

You can argue and question the value compared to several other ways to play PS1 games (including the PS1, PS2, and PS3 consoles all accepting PS1 discs, and PS3 having digital offerings), but when comparing to other plug-and-play consoles, I don't think it's completely out of bounds at that price range.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
..., but when comparing to other plug-and-play consoles, I don't think it's completely out of bounds at that price range.

I agree that it's not completely out of bounds... but it's also not great value from what I'm seeing.

Feature set is ok, but pretty bare-bones.
Emulation quality is reported to be only ok, not great.
Game selection generally makes sense when appealing to people nostalgic for big sellers, although has a bunch of obvious omissions and clearly could have been better.

Even without getting into the fact that most of these games are playable elsewhere without too much trouble, and that pricing is a bit higher than what you see from competing systems (maybe because Sony has less first-party content?), the PlayStation Classic seems like a pretty mediocre system.

Obviously people who have strong nostalgia for the PS era, or who don't have affordable access to these games elsewhere, might feel differently...
NNID: ejamer

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
I generally agree with your points.

I think Sony's intentions is like what Nintendo originally though with the NES/SNES classic though - people who maybe aren't as up to speed on current gaming but had/enjoyed/had nostalgia for the Playstation 1, don't want the hastle of a current console, want something plug-and-play.

But then we get right back to the problem of the games included.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 02:19:50 PM »
Sony doesn't have as many consoles they can feasibly do this with as Nintendo does. You could probably do a PS2 classic although I don't know how easy it is to get a PS2 emulator running on the cheap these days but beyond that it's hard to say.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2018, 03:22:57 AM »
I think the classic consoles pretty much jumped the shark with this. The originals were $39.99 and then Nintendo upped it to $79.99, but it was better. Sony upping it to $100 is too far.  Many beloved Playstation games are mostly on Android now. I guess you're getting a box. I don't get real nostalgic for playstation. I could for n64,  but then again I have a big collection. The advantage to an n64 classic is I don't necessarily have to get up to change games. Also, I'd be pretty jazzed if they improved the joysticks build quality. Like make it out of metal instead.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
The more I hear about this thing, the worse it gets. The price is expensive, the games list is poor and lacking most of the titles people actually cared about, the emulation is apparently substandard, and the controllers aren't Dualshocks.

Why, again, should anyone buy this PoS? All the games on it are widely available on previous devices and are better played there. I have my issues with Nintendo's mini-consoles, but at least they seem to care about these things when they put them out. Sure, I've hacked them to add personal favorites, but the existing games on them were generally great selections.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
The PSX Classic is also just running the open source PCSX Reloaded emulator. I've lost all interest.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »
Remember when Somy tried to sue PS1 emulators out of existence? Those were the days.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
Just to add to this pile, Sony has confirmed that some of the games are represented by PAL versions, even for the North American product.  That means they run at a lower framerate.  This includes Tekken 3 which is one of the few true classics on this thing, now buggered up for really no good reason at all.  In what universe is a PAL version of ANY console game worth digging up now that TV signals are standardized through all regions?  As long as the system outputs HDMI then it will work in all regions so it should be using the framerate the game was originally designed for.

So for those counting it's $100 for FFVII, MGS, and a lot of questionable bullshit.  I am in shock at how flubbed this has been, particularly since the reaction to the original reveal was quite positive.  I feel like a complete sucker for ever suspecting this was worthy of the same discussion as Nintendo's Classic systems.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »
It's garbage. IGN gave it a 5.5, idk what they were thinking with this thing. They should have enabled 3D hardware acceleration at the very least - they used an open source emulator that already has this option.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
Did they give a reason for using PAL versions?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »
It's garbage. IGN gave it a 5.5, idk what they were thinking with this thing. They should have enabled 3D hardware acceleration at the very least - they used an open source emulator that already has this option.

5.5 is pretty damn terrible in an era where reviewers are afraid to give bad games a score lower than 7.  Yet it's still higher than Rainbow Six's GameRanking score! lol

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »
I haven't seen one...maybe licensing or something? That's a bizarre choice though, who wants to play games at full speed, right?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
So if I were to guess, it's because the hardware sucks and it was easier to get some games running at 50fps than 60fps...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-emulation-first-look

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2018, 11:50:50 PM »
The suspected reasoning I've heard about PAL versions is because of the multiple languages those games have allowing them to release the same unit in various regions. Nintendo, on the other hand, created different Classics for the various regions they released them in.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
So weird and disappointing.

PS Classic could have been pretty awesome. Game selection was always going to be tricky with so much third-party reliance, but it's not like they were lacking for options. I really expected Sony would do a better job on the hardware side. Having expandable Micro SD storage and access to the PSN store might have always been a pipe dream for this micro system... but the reality is very underwhelming.

Yet the whole thing seems like a colossal flop in execution. Questionable games, PAL ROMs, weak hardware, unfortunate controller choice... At least the power/reset/open buttons are all functional and awesome, and they didn't use any proprietary connectors.

Distribution woes aside, it seems like Nintendo is still the only company to get one of these retro mini-consoles right?  (The Commodore 64 one seems really close though; maybe I'm giving it short shrift.)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:30 AM »
The best PSX Classic experience remains a modded PS3 or PSP.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »
So if I were to guess, it's because the hardware sucks and it was easier to get some games running at 50fps than 60fps...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-emulation-first-look

If you can't match 1995 hardware in 2018 you're doing something really wrong.  That would be like flubbing an Atari emulator in 2000.  But the Japanese version is all NTSC and presumably it can run those games fine.

I wonder if the PAL thing was due to handing off the ROM gathering duties to some intern you doesn't know better and he just grabbed English language ROMs not knowing that PAL and NTSC are things and no one spotted this until production was already under way.  Dedicated retro game enthusiasts know the difference but I know tons of people that owned a PlayStation back in the day and have good familiarity with it but have no clue that Europe and North America have different video standards and that that affects games.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »
PSP Go (synced with a DualShock controller, and connected via Component cables) is so much better than PlayStation Classic. Not easier to find these days, nor cheaper unless you bought in a long time ago when the system was getting cleared out. But still better, not to mention more flexible. It's been fun to run through a bunch of old PS1 Classics at home using one.

That said, it appears the PS Classic has been hacked quite efficiently by now. At least that prevents game selection from being the main blocking issue (assuming you don't mind the hacking/piracy required). I'm still a bummed about the old-style controllers though. Original PlayStation controllers are literally my least favorite of any gaming controllers I've used.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
The price is way down on Playstation Classic now. Now it's worth its price.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »
The best PSX Classic experience remains a modded PS3 or PSP.
Nah, the Vita has that crown if you can get past the memory cards.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
The price is way down on Playstation Classic now. Now it's worth its price.

Despite this being marked down online everywhere I see, when I go into Walmart it still lists the full price, which in CAD is like $120 or $130 (can't remember the exact amount).

Because of the PAL thing I just don't feel any desire to buy it at any price.  It sounds like the specs are junk so even hacking it probably isn't worthwhile if the games don't run well.  Most of the games I would actually be interested in I either already have them or some variation of them on another system (ie: Twin Snakes on Gamecube; Super Puzzle Fighter on PS3) or they're cheap titles if I want to get them.  I have a PS1, PS2 and PS3 and all of those can play PS1 discs so I have no lack of options there.  The SNES Classic had tons of games that are quite expensive to get old carts of these days which made it a tremendous value if you wanted to just play the games.  The PS Classic doesn't have that.  If you want Toshinden, for some reason, you can find it for under 10 bucks.  Persona is an exception as it is really expensive but you can get for the PSP and as far as I can tell that's the better version.

So what would I ever want this for?  It sucks at doing what it's supposed to do and the game library it comes with is so hit or miss that I might as well cherry pick the titles I do want for other platforms or a real PS1.