Author Topic: Madden Skipping 3DS in 2012?  (Read 3976 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Madden Skipping 3DS in 2012?
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »

While Madden is coming to Wii, the football franchise might be bypassing the 3DS this year.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/29262

Madden might not be coming to 3DS in 2012 if retailer listings are to be believed.

The GameStop listing, which led to a confirmation of the Wii version's existence by the Wii developer's official Twitter account, only mentions the Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Vita versions of the game. The 3DS is not mentioned at all.

Madden NFL Football, developed by EA's North Carolina studio, was a launch title for the system in March 2011. The game was notable for being the first time Madden was on a Nintendo handheld since Madden NFL 09. 

In 2009, we reported that EA wasn't putting out a DS version of the game because, according to EA Sports' Rob Semsey, "[They] set extremely high standards for quality at EA SPORTS and [they] are constantly striving to deliver the best sports experiences to our consumers."

We have reached out to EA Sports for further comment.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Madden Skipping 3DS in 2012?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »
I hope the Vita version is a failure.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
I hope the Vita version turns into a 3DS version.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »
More reason for the existence of Mario Night Football.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:12 AM »
Not all that concerned. I do wish they got he baseball license though. MLB 2k on the DS has been horrid. Glad I picked up a PS3 for The Show, but I'd like a good portable MLB game as well and I'm not just buying a Vita for that. Come one 3DS developers, step up your game!

I'd take Mario baseball for 3DS. Hint Hint Nintendo!
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:01:42 AM »
Not all that concerned. I do wish they got he baseball license though. MLB 2k on the DS has been horrid. Glad I picked up a PS3 for The Show, but I'd like a good portable MLB game as well and I'm not just buying a Vita for that. Come one 3DS developers, step up your game!

I'd take Mario baseball for 3DS. Hint Hint Nintendo!

Nicktoons MLB, which I gave an 8 for the DS, is getting a 3DS version. It's by no means a sim, but if you enjoy Mario Baseball I'm pretty sure you'd like it. EA may get the MLB license soon, as 2K's exclusivity expires after this year and based on what they've said it doesn't seem likely they'll want to extend it. Of course, if they won't do Madden for 3DS I doubt they'd do MLB, being considerably less popular of a sport.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:12 AM »
There's two ways to look at this:

1.) EA notice that DS titles didn't sell all that well, the first Madden on the 3DS only sold 150K units for example so maybe they are just cutting the fat

2.) it might have to do with the fact that it might get it's own Madden just like last time.  Since the game has to be built up from scratch compared to porting for other versions than maybe it's being released under a unique name like they did with all-play madden on the WII. 
-----------------------------------------------------

How many people here even play Football games on an handheld?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:12:04 AM »
The first 3DS probably only sold 150k because it had out of date rosters and basically no modes. Other than that it was pretty good, and I'd definitely buy a new one if they added franchise and be a pro modes like they did with FIFA 12 for 3DS. As for the second point, you could probably port the Wii version to 3DS, or at least the PS2 version.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 10:17:27 AM »
They already built an engine from the ground up on 3DS with the launch title.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
All EA needs is one Madden game developed for each platform, and then from there on out its just yearly roster changes.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 12:46:40 PM »
Except that's not true in this case, as the initial version had basically no modes, so there's a ton they could have and should have done with another version. Also, every version of Madden is more than just roster changes, so you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:03 PM »
Also, every version of Madden is more than just roster changes,

A few tweaks here and there. I know its more than just roster changes, just not much more than that. Anything that changes could have been handled perfect by a patch or DLC. IMHO it doesn't justify spending $50-$60 to buy it over and over again every year.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
The age-old debate of "I don't play many sports games, so it's just a bunch of roster update bullshit."

To me, Call of Duty and 90% of FPS games just feel like a roster update, but I don't go talk out of my ass about it.

For me and, I don't know, EVERY ONE OF THE MILLIONS WHO BUY MADDEN EVERY YEAR, $50-60 is worth it for "just a roster update."

I echo what JP says, and I also raise the point that in most people's eyes, genres they don't care for usually seem like nothing more than roster updates.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
To me, Call of Duty and 90% of FPS games just feel like a roster update,

The multiplayer aspect of it pretty much is, yeah. That is especially true with the Modern Warfare series. They are the FPS equivalent of Madden.
is your sanity...