Author Topic: Metroid Prime 4  (Read 15443 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Metroid Prime 4
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »
Honestly, WTF is Retro working on?  What could possibly be so amazing that keeping everyone in the dark for this long wouldn't disappoint?  F-Zero? DK64 Returns?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:23 AM »
So, I got a boner when that teaser was shown, and it hasn't ceased yet.

Please contact your doctor.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »
Phazonback Friday. An old nugget that may or may not tell us a little bit about MP4:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Next proper Metroid Prime "would likely now be on NX"
6/17/2015

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," he said.

My guess is that it's 1.5-2yrs away, unfortunately.

Speaking with Tanabe, it was clear he had plenty of ideas for the game, including a focus on a single planet that has a time-shifting mechanic, similar to Metroid Prime 2: Echoes' single planet with dark and light variants.

"Instead of broadening it to more planets I would have one and would focus on the timeline, and being able to change that. That's one interesting idea I have in mind... but I understand many people thought that [Echoes] was too difficult."

Yamma hamma! Young Samus confirmed!  :-*
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
How do you get Young Samus out of that?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »

How do you get Young Samus out of that?

time-shifting mechanic

See her with THE BABY, then time shift backwards to learn about her phazon-induced infertility issues.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
Like Ocarina of Time, but Metroid.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »
I always thought Young Samus would be a super interesting character. Basically Newt from Aliens raised by the bird people from Dark Crystal. The space pirates, they mostly come out at night, mostly.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
I always thought Young Samus would be a super interesting character. Basically Newt from Aliens raised by the bird people from Dark Crystal. The space pirates, they mostly come out at night, mostly.

That sounds just bonkers enough to work! Skeksis Chozo.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Welp, another 4th of July, another Retro tweet wishing everyone a happy 4th with an extremely pixelated gif of someone cutting ribs. *shrug*

https://twitter.com/RetroStudios/status/1014920006809870341

Their Twitter kicked off January 2015 and...

Honestly, WTF is Retro working on?  What could possibly be so amazing that keeping everyone in the dark for this long wouldn't disappoint?  F-Zero? DK64 Returns?

...^that^ was posted one year ago, yet still the mystery continues...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
Lol best reply to that tweet is "Meatroid Prime Rib!"
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 03:36:49 AM »
Well, in an odd bit of coincidence, (and to create a crossover with my Smash Bros. thread thereby creating the Khushrenada/Linkle Link shared and united thread/topic universe) there was a posting on 4Chan claiming that there are 11 characters that will be unveiled and added to Smash Ultimate still to be shown. They've all got codenames however so it could be anything and nothing. But one of the codenames is Prime Ribs. What does that have to do with Nintendo franchise or characters or even other third party series? No one knows but the guesses are focused on a Metroid Prime character as some likely meaning if even real. However, with the continued focus of BBQ on Retro's twitter account, perhaps it has something to do with the mysterious game they may or may not actually be working on. Although, it seems to be a stretch that this meat and character are related since those are more likely spare ribs or pork ribs and not prime ribs in the Retro Twitter gif.

So, what I'm saying is.... I got nothing.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »
So, what I'm saying is.... I got nothing.

Ditto. I was thinking Adam (from Other: M)... ribs... or maybe Retro is in Texas where they eat lots of ribs.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »
Retro always posts barbecue things on twitter. Whoever is closest to their HQ needs to go down a sift through their garbage.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »
Texas is more of a Brisket State. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2018, 06:27:18 PM »
Could someone dig up my speculation id software should develop Metroid from 2-3 years ago? It might become prophetic soon.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 02:05:01 AM »
6 months after their last tweet looking for a MP4 art director, they tweeted out happy new year then returned to their eternal slumber:

https://twitter.com/RetroStudios/status/1212261305815576576

Again... their entire 2019 list of tweets are--

Reggie retires (Feb)
looking to hire developers (Apr)
art director (June)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »
Worth noting perhaps that Stephen Dupree (lead designer on DKC: Tropical Freeze) has been back at Retro, possibly for a while already. Dupree was previously involved with New Super Lucky's Tale which launched recently.

Metroid Primate 4: Jungle Juice confirmed?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »
We're probably getting a new 2d Metroid. Which still sounds pretty good.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2020, 04:38:54 PM »
Metroid Prime Returns: Tropical Freeze confirmed.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2020, 05:48:08 PM »
As much as I enjoyed the Metroid Prime trilogy.  I think I would rather have a Donkey Kong Country Returns quality world and level design for Super Metroid.  And I think a Western Team could get that true Super Metroid feel of dread and storytelling from each screen, that has really been lacking in the 2D Metroid games, since Super Metroid.

Don't get me wrong, the games were great and Super Metroid Zero Mission is possibly my second favorite Super Metroid Game, but none of them properly had the level of environmental storytelling the SNES game had. 

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
As much as I enjoyed the Metroid Prime trilogy.  I think I would rather have a Donkey Kong Country Returns quality world and level design for Super Metroid.  And I think a Western Team could get that true Super Metroid feel of dread and storytelling from each screen, that has really been lacking in the 2D Metroid games, since Super Metroid.

Don't get me wrong, the games were great and Super Metroid Zero Mission is possibly my second favorite Super Metroid Game, but none of them properly had the level of environmental storytelling the SNES game had.

I'd definitely like them to take a whack at this (and certainly much more so than Mercury Steam), but I think there's a bit of an issue with massive oversaturation of the 2D genre at this point. (The video game version of "everything's too derivative of Pavement".)

I'd like to see a foray into a 2.5D Metroid, with "3D" maps but sidescrolling navigation (with interactivity with foreground and background elements). I'm imagining a bit of Lone Survivor's DNA in there. However, this would NOT be like Other M or those diorama-style PS2 Castlevania games. It would be very hard to pull off (probably why no one's really tried it), but I'd bet Retro could manage something formally innovative like that.