Gaming Forums > General Gaming

How do you feel about $69.99 MSRP for standard, non-special edition games?

<< < (3/4) > >>

broodwars:
Well, after having had a PS5 since February and having purchased a couple of games at the new inflated $70 price, I honestly can't say my position on pricing has changed since last generation. The games that have all the passion & bells and whistles will be worth the full price. The ones that don't, won't, and I'll do everything in my power to either wait for a sale or to mitigate the cost. *shrug*

So long as I feel like I'm getting my money's worth, the $70 price tag is regrettable but tolerable. I already tend to buy special editions or collector's editions of games I really want that have those $10-$20 price hikes built-in. And as previously pointed out, Nintendo charges that flat $60 on all their games, and it's not like they universally justify those prices on every game they put out.

I feel like the companies who are truly worthy of derision in all this are those that are cutting features AND flooding their games with microtransactions and loot boxes while STILL insisting on that $70 price tag. Yeah, I'm largely referring to everyone's favorite scumbags: EA & Activision, the former of which is selling its new Battlefield game at the full $70 despite gutting the single-player experience altogether and the latter of which is just The Worst. I'm sure we can throw 2K in there somewhere as well, given what they do with their sports games.

M.K.Ultra:
Well I finally did it. I was just charged by Target for about $70 for Horizon Forbidden West on PS5. That is a decent chunk of change and I will probably be waiting for price drops on almost every PS5 game.

Stratos:
Another thing I didn't think of are the subscription services. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft (as well as some 3rd parties) offer a variety of games for play through a subscription. This is quite different from the singular purchase model and depending on how you use it could be a cheaper experience or more pricey if you only made a few purchases a year.

Mop it up:
I've never spent $60 on a single video game, not even Nintendo's, so of course there's no way I'd ever pay $70 either. It's been over a year now and I've noticed that these titles still drop in price just as quickly as previous systems and many of them are routinely in the $20-30 range right now if not permanently. With an ever-growing myriad of games available both new and old, I haven't really cared about getting new releases and can easily wait for sales and price drops on anything I want.

Of course, since I ended up with Xbox over PlayStation, Game Pass means I don't have to buy games anyway. Since getting an Xbone I haven't bought a single game for Xbox.

ThePerm:
In the n64 era that was the price of games, but in the Gamecube era they were only $39-$49. I don't buy the idea that AAA resources are so large that is the reason game prices are up. Build better development tools. Use stock engines.

I make incomplete indy games all by myself, but if I had 30 people then we'd be rivaling any AAA studio. You read the credits for some games and there are 100s of people. You guys didn't manage your time and resources well.

I've been making games for a long time now, one thing that hasn't taken off that should is VR development. Not the development of VR games, but the development of tools using VR. I think one thing that is going to happen this generations is game development gets significantly easier. Even programming I've seen represented as visual instead of your typical text IDE.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version