Author Topic: Spyro Reignited Trilogy brings the Nintendo Switch experience to the PS4/Xbone  (Read 13092 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile

Blu-ray discs are expensive. :(
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:50:57 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I was wondering when I’d see a post about this. Releasing a physical edition of a compilation in which most of it is a download is typical Activision next-level douchebaggery. It just published Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy without this nonsense. Ultimately, unsurprising granted Activision’s track record yet no less aggravating.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I have a suspicion of what this is about, because otherwise this move makes no sense. A double-layered BluRay disc can hold just about anything a modern game could put out, and I doubt even that would be needed to hold these remasters.

My suspicion is that Spyros 2 & 3 are download codes on a slip of paper in the case, not patches. Why? To destroy the 2nd hand market by forcing Gamestop, etc. to purchase new download codes from them whenever they want to sell a used copy of the Spyro Collection. Because otherwise they're selling 1 game advertised as 3.

It's just a theory, but it's evil enough to be Activision.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
LOLOLOLOLOL

It's a brave new world.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
An idea I've heard is that the other two games could have been unfinished when the disc needed to be printed, so they're just patching them in afterward.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
An idea I've heard is that the other two games could have been unfinished when the disc needed to be printed, so they're just patching them in afterward.
Even if that’s true, the immediate response is don’t do that. If 2/3 of a compilation are unfinished, that product has no business going gold. It wouldn’t be Toys for Bob patching something small. Activision would have approved two broken games in a three game package for release while Toys for Bob rushes to make them playable. Hard pass. It’s like Activision invented a new way to be evil.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:58:11 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
That's why I wonder if this even is a patch. The box could very easily say "Requires online update" or something to that effect. Instead, it outright states that only 1 game is on the disc & the other 2 have to be downloaded. It's really strange wording if this is just a mandatory patch.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Well even if it ends up that way, I still hope it goes to Switch. I don't own and never played the games, so they'd still be worth playing to me even with this ridiculousness.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
As Shigeru Miyamoto once said: a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game gets fixed by day one patches.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
As Shigeru Miyamoto once said: a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game gets fixed by day one patches.
Unless you're Star Fox 0 or Duke Nukem Forever, in which case you'll always be bad.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Well even if it ends up that way, I still hope it goes to Switch. I don't own and never played the games, so they'd still be worth playing to me even with this ridiculousness.
I thought Spyro Reignited Trilogy was already announced for Switch. Well, maybe by the time it does get announced, Activision will change its mind on this nonsense. I bought Crash N. Sane Trilogy because I never played them on PlayStation. I’d be interested in Spyro Reignited Trilogy barring the download thing.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
Nope. You're probably thinking of how, when the game was announced, the Nintendo UK site briefly and mistakenly had the game listed, but it was quickly removed. More recently, the game's website once again in the UK mistakenly listed the Switch (and PC) as one of the game's platform, but was again quickly removed.

Some people have taken this as confirmation that a Switch version is in the works to be released at a later date, but not me. It's possible these two instances are nothing but a comedy of errors from website maintenance interns or whoever.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
You need 50GB of free space for the download LOL.

https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1026921971622150144
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
How do they make these installs so big?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
1080p assets and uncompressed WAV, I would think.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Word also going around is that the original Spyro assets either don't exist anymore or Activision was unable to acquire them from Insomniac, so Activision basically had to remake all 3 games from scratch. When you consider that modern games are typically 20-30 GB a pop (for reference, the 2016 remake of Ratchet & Clank was 28 GB), it's not that surprising for it to be 50 GB for 2 games.

That said, this strengthens my theory that these will be download codes, not a patch.

Oh, and if you think that install is huge, try looking up how large Doom or Battlefront 2's current install sizes are. They're both near 100 GB.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:17:03 PM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
That would explain why we don't have a switch version announced yet. They can get away with a 50gb install on the PS4/Xbone but they have to try and actually deal with the file size problem on Switch. That said they currently have a PS4 and Xbone version ready in time for the holidays so off they go.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Hey, they shrunk down Doom for the Switch. I think it's on a 16gb cartridge plus the multiplayer download.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
From what I checked, the Crash trilogy is 23 GB on PS4 and 5.2 GB on Switch. I dunno if that sort of equation holds true for all games, but it seems likely that the Spyro collection would be 16 GB or less on Switch, which is acceptable.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
If they're completely rebuilding these I'm really curious how much gets changed. Having replayed Spyro 3 a couple years back and being thoroughly dissapointed with my own nostalgia, I would vouch for a giant makeover of these games to make 'em less... Well... bad?

But then again nostalgia is precisely why people would buy this, and also it's more expensive to invest time and energy into radically redesigning many stages, rather than just copy what already existed... I have a feeling people will be down on these once they actually play them again, hope I'm wrong for the fans though.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
From what I checked, the Crash trilogy is 23 GB on PS4 and 5.2 GB on Switch. I dunno if that sort of equation holds true for all games, but it seems likely that the Spyro collection would be 16 GB or less on Switch, which is acceptable.
Part of that is that the PS4 version of Crash can run in 4K

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
The Spyro Collection has been officially delayed till 11/13/18.

Unofficially, the reason for the delay is that Spyros 2 & 3 needed more time for the devs to finish them, and this delay also allows them to put all 3 games on the disc, thus resolving the entire reason for this thread.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Maybe we will get the Switch version day and date with this delay. ;)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I don’t know whether to praise or condemn Activision because delaying the game to fix this is the absolute correct choice. Then again, it shouldn’t have gotten to this point to begin with. The whole situation comes off as “We’re as shitty as you allow us to be.â€

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I guess that means that bit of listener mail I sent into RFN won't get read.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
I don’t know whether to praise or condemn Activision because delaying the game to fix this is the absolute correct choice. Then again, it shouldn’t have gotten to this point to begin with. The whole situation comes off as “We’re as shitty as you allow us to be.â€

No kidding. The unofficial word is that Activision was rushing this Collection severely to get out ahead of the coming Black Hole that is Red Dead. You have a team that had to remake 3 entire games from scratch in what can't be more than 2 years when you consider that the Crash Collection is likely the reason this exists. The dev team right now only has Spyro 1 ready and 2 mostly done. 3 is still an active fire, allegedly. And Activision wanted to kick this thing out the door a month from now and fix it later? Sheesh. Master Chief Collection all over again.

Thankfully, the outrage over the games now being all on the disc helped give the devs ammo to push back against the larger problem of the games just flat out not being ready.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Actually they still won't all be on the disc.

link

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
So the filesize for the Switch version is 15 gigs so theoretically Activision should be able to go for a 16gb cartridge and fit the game in. Unfortunately it's Activision so that's probably not happening.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
So the filesize for the Switch version is 15 gigs so theoretically Activision should be able to go for a 16gb cartridge and fit the game in. Unfortunately it's Activision so that's probably not happening.

Dimes to dollars you have to download Spyros 2 & 3 on Switch via patch just like you had to on PS4.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Okay, seriously, I have a news article going up on the site whenever someone edits it that will go into detail on this but holy **** this is a fucking rabbit hole.