Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755344 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #1175 on: February 08, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »
Getting the wife on board is the hardest part. ;)

If I could get over that hump (and the cost...), I'd have one of these in my house...

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 08, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
Dude. Sweet.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
That looks amazing! How much does that run?

It was actually my wife that proposed the idea to me to get an arcade cabinet. I was already thiinking of doing it down the road but she brought it up when we went out to dinner and the lobby had a Neo-Geo system with Galaga and Ms Pac-Man. She said it would be fun to get one for our future entertainment room.

She can be quite supportive at times even though she is a very casual gamer herself. It all depends on our financial situation which is only improving by the week. I'm hoping that once we are both done with college and in good careers we can look into picking a cabinet up.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:16 PM »
Wii LAN Adapter:
People often talk **** about Nintendo's poor wireless connections, and i agree somewhat, but i also have even more choice words about Xbox's wireless network features.

Not one weekend morning was spent by me trying to figure out why the damn thing won't connect. It just keeps saying something about MTU values and here i go into router settings and keep rebooting modem to no avail.

So i decided to fix both problems at once, got wii lan adapter and two cables and connected them both directly to my router.

As to adapter itself... Well, it works. I don't think there is any increase in speed but i expect connection will be more stable from now on.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:59 AM »
I find that with the WiiU its faster for me to start the WiiU with the LAN adapter then the Wireless.  I'm also trying to have everything hardwired in my house as possible to Gigabit no less so I can save Wireless Bandwidth and cut down interference.

Also @Stratos if you end up anything like I did after college with my wife it will take a good 10+ years to pay off your student loans and have that Monkey off your back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:22:02 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 10, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »
We're actually cash-flowing college right now. I think you were one of the folks to congratulate me when I announced I was debt free in this thread last summer. My wife and I made a commitment to not live with those 'monkeys on our back' ever again. It's one of the reasons I disappeared and reappeared so often. I worked my ass off and still am to make sure we can get through college without any debt. I still can't believe how well things are working out for us. I did the college debt thing, the car debt thing, I freaking owed my parents money! Never. Again. It ruined my life and I nearly lost everything, including my wife. Debt is a false sense of security and a lie that has been told to people for so long that we know no other way through life.

I thought that slavery had been abolished in America, but I was wrong. I was one of them. But no more. I only wish I could better help others out of that dark place.
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »
Really?  Let me help you help me... I'll forward all my bills to you. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 10, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
We're actually cash-flowing college right now. I think you were one of the folks to congratulate me when I announced I was debt free in this thread last summer. My wife and I made a commitment to not live with those 'monkeys on our back' ever again. It's one of the reasons I disappeared and reappeared so often. I worked my ass off and still am to make sure we can get through college without any debt. I still can't believe how well things are working out for us. I did the college debt thing, the car debt thing, I freaking owed my parents money! Never. Again. It ruined my life and I nearly lost everything, including my wife. Debt is a false sense of security and a lie that has been told to people for so long that we know no other way through life.

I thought that slavery had been abolished in America, but I was wrong. I was one of them. But no more. I only wish I could better help others out of that dark place.

Hey, I'm with you. I have no debt either. I was thinking of buying a nice and large condo last year and then decided to pass. I just didn't want all my money tied up into the property and having to pay off a mortgage for 20 years. I'll put up with renting. I'm in a pretty new building and so far everything's been pretty great about it. If, in time, a change is needed, then I'll move and rent in a newer building again.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 10, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
Exactly. My wife and I almost moved from our cheap apartment to a nice rental house. But the costs would have more than doubled for rent alone, not to mention the costs of utilities and such. Now, thanks to certain laws taking affect in the US, other costs of ours went up and we would have been in dire straights if we had gotten the rental.

People make a very big mistake with regards to money and big purchases: they ask "Can I afford the payments? Can I afford the down payment?". You really need to ask "How much it is total and what are the hidden costs?"

People buy a house with a mortgage of $500 and think they can afford it because their rent is $500. But there are other costs like property taxes, utilities, maintenance and repairs. If you are a renter, the landlord has to spend money to fix your water heater or broken oven. If you own the house, that is your bill and before you know it the costs can quickly get out of your league.
My Game Collection

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 10, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »
Debt is like most other things in our world.  It is a tool.  When used appropriately, it can be a very useful.

Anyway, I picked up Bravely Default off the eShop and played a couple of hours.  I really like the game so far, the visual style is very pleasing, and the sound is great.  I'm having some issues with the 3D where if I look away from the screen and look back, it takes my eyes a while longer to readjust.  Surprisingly, I enjoy the V.O in the game, despite how horribly cheesy it sounds at times.  I think this is SE's real comfort zone, where they have a bit more artistic license to ham it up a bit compared to games like FFXIII.  It feels like the game takes itself a little bit less seriously, so some of the bad lines are easier to forgive.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 12, 2014, 03:59:03 AM »
Danganronpa for the Vita, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 for my PS3, and a preorder for Thief for my PS4 later this month (using the money I was planning on spending on my now-canceled Bravely Default preorder).  I also picked up the Limited Edition guide for Lightning Returns, which is just as fantastically well-made as the other 2 Piggyback FF 13 guides.  Say what you will about the FF 13 games themselves, but the guides have been amazing.

I also picked up TxK on my Vita, which is kind of an amazing vector-driven Tempest game.

And this month's only gotten started. <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:02:28 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »
Cat6 patch cables, Speaker Wire, and a longer RCA cable for the Subwoofer.  Take that Ping.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 12, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
Danganronpa for the Vita, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 for my PS3, and a preorder for Thief for my PS4 later this month (using the money I was planning on spending on my now-canceled Bravely Default preorder).  I also picked up the Limited Edition guide for Lightning Returns, which is just as fantastically well-made as the other 2 Piggyback FF 13 guides.  Say what you will about the FF 13 games themselves, but the guides have been amazing.

I also picked up TxK on my Vita, which is kind of an amazing vector-driven Tempest game.

And this month's only gotten started. <$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

I was commending your cancellation of BD, but why buy Lightning Returns?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 12, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
I was commending your cancellation of BD, but why buy Lightning Returns?

Because I've liked the previous 2 FF 13 games and, unlike Bravely Default, I actually liked Lightning Returns' demo. My favorite Zelda is Majora's Mask, and Lightning Returns looks like a Majora's Mask-style FF 13 game w/ a lot of the typical B.S. cut out. So yeah, it seems to be right up my alley.  ;D

Yeah, I know the reviews have been mixed (as I always knew they would be), but I have a tendency to enjoy "interesting messes" so long as they show me something I haven't seen before and don't waste my time.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 25, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »
Today I picked up...

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3)
Thief (PS4)
Tales of Symphonia HD + extras (PS3)

Sadly, the physical version of Symphonia HD is tethered to this shitty Wii fanfic that no one bought and no one should ever speak of again. Let PSN be the magic that turns dreams into reality and buy the digital-only standalone Symphonia HD if you can.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 26, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
I bought a $50 eshop card at Best Buy yesterday for $40. I'm pretty close to getting $5 from the Digital Deluxe Promotion. I plan on buying Child of Light because it looks bangarang (will still probably wait for a sale). If I just need a game to push me over at the end of the year, there's always Earthbound. I'll also have plenty left over for Shantae and The Pirate's Curse whenever Wayforward Technologies wants to be a pal and release it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:56 AM »
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Four Swords

I got these in a Buy One Get One Free sale for $15 plus tax. I always wanted to play Baten Kaitos, but I never got around to it. Not sure if I'll actually play it now (it's on a long RPG backlog), but I picked it up because it's one of the few games missing from my GameCube collection. I bought another version of A Link to the Past for the same reason. I just got the Virtual Console version which doesn't have the added yells so that's the one I'll be playing.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1192 on: March 05, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii). Planning on patching in Classic Controller Pro support via Homebrew Channel, too.

Now if I could only tear myself away from FFXIV...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 08, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »
Finally found a copy of Contra 4 (DS) at a price that I liked. Awesome game. So glad my 3DS has full backwards compatibility, because the DS library is littered with gems like this.

Also recently grabbed a copy of Advance Wars Dual Strike (DS) for $3. Less enthused about that than Contra, but it's still a nice grab.
NNID: ejamer

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 09, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii). Planning on patching in Classic Controller Pro support via Homebrew Channel, too.

When ARR first released, I was enamored with it.  Once I hit level-cap and realized that this MMO community was just like every other MMO at cap, I dropped it and only once looked back(for the Goddess-Lightning event, of course).  Definitely got my money's worth out of that month, though.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1195 on: March 09, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »

When ARR first released, I was enamored with it.  Once I hit level-cap and realized that this MMO community was just like every other MMO at cap, I dropped it and only once looked back(for the Goddess-Lightning event, of course).  Definitely got my money's worth out of that month, though.
Please come back then! Updates 2.1-2.16 have unloaded a bunch of new content - such as the Crystal Tower and the Binding Coil of Bahamut. Then there's the new dungeons Pharos Sirius, Haukke Manor (Hard Mode), and Copperbell Mines (HM). 2.2 (coming later this month) is going to release two new dungeons along with two new Hard Mode dungeon runs as well. And the main scenario storyline has been continued, too. But yeah, Crystal Tower and the BCoB are incredible! Come back! :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1196 on: March 09, 2014, 11:34:02 PM »
I got Toy Story 3 for the PS3 in the mail. I've heard some great things about it.

I also purchased Tales of Symphonia Collection, also on PS3. Though I have no idea when I'll be able to set aside the time to play such a lengthy duo of games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 14, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »
I bought the Xbox One Titanfall bundle a few days ago, and I downloaded the free version of Killer Instinct. I can't wait till the system finally gets external hard drive support...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:00:58 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 14, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
I've been putting this off for a few years now, but I finally picked up a 1 Terabyte HDD for my PS3 (the same model I have in my PS4, actually). It arrived yesterday, and I'm currently in the process of installing every game I currently own and downloading every digital game and DLC I've ever purchased. My goal is to eliminate the biggest annoyance that comes with trying to clear out my PS3 backlog: dealing with installing game data and downloading DLC. I have no faith the PS3 PSN will be kept up longer than maybe another year or two, so I'm just working on making my PS3 as prepared for that eventuality as possible. Oddly enough, it's the goddamn trophy syncing that's proving to be the biggest hassle, as PSN just will not let me sync my thousands of trophies onto my new HDD without crashing the connection.

On a sidenote, anyone want to take a guess at how much space I'll have left once all this installing/downloading is complete and how long it will take? Just FYI, I have 1670 items in my PS3 download history (which won't all be downloaded since a lot of that are demos, trailers, or PS+ games, but most of it would be).  :P:

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 14, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
I've been putting this off for a few years now, but I finally picked up a 1 Terabyte HDD for my PS3 (the same model I have in my PS4, actually). It arrived yesterday, and I'm currently in the process of installing every game I currently own and downloading every digital game and DLC I've ever purchased. My goal is to eliminate the biggest annoyance that comes with trying to clear out my PS3 backlog: dealing with installing game data and downloading DLC. I have no faith the PS3 PSN will be kept up longer than maybe another year or two, so I'm just working on making my PS3 as prepared for that eventuality as possible. Oddly enough, it's the goddamn trophy syncing that's proving to be the biggest hassle, as PSN just will not let me sync my thousands of trophies onto my new HDD without crashing the connection.

On a sidenote, anyone want to take a guess at how much space I'll have left once all this installing/downloading is complete and how long it will take? Just FYI, I have 1670 items in my PS3 download history (which won't all be downloaded since a lot of that are demos, trailers, or PS+ games, but most of it would be).  :P:
Are you going to go ahead and do all the installs for your Disc Based games as well and get them Patched?

If so I say 200GB Left for the low number.