Author Topic: Difficulty levels on Nintendo games  (Read 14627 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE:Difficulty levels on Nintendo games
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2007, 07:36:03 AM »
Originally posted by: Kairon

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Twilight Princess was like "I am Chuck Norris!". Oh, right, Aonuma said he has zero reflexes but yet he's heading development of a game that heavily uses reflexes for combat... Guess his solution was to make the player invincible.

So you agree with me? Aonouma's bad for Zelda?

Miyamoto's focus on "accessibility" after the N64 was bad for Zelda.  Then Aonuma took that the wrong way and made Link invincible.

Majora's is like "veteran mode" while Ocarina was "normal mode."  The game was magnificent to the veterans, those who were well-versed in the established mechanics.  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE: Difficulty levels on Nintendo games
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 07:38:46 AM »
Hell ya!

To this day Majora's Mask is one of the most underrated Zelda games! No matter how much Kairon hates it. (well because the games that kairon loves are overrated!)
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 07:46:01 AM »
I love Metroid Prime 3... didn't you get that Samus Aran postcard I sent you?

What is this "focus on accessibility" that you attribute to Miyamoto after OoT? Please explain.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 07:50:47 AM »

I love Metroid Prime 3... didn't you get that Samus Aran postcard I sent you?
I did; it left me speechless.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »
Well expect more.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »

Well that shouldn't be hard...........

Because it wasn't.......... If the hardest part of a whole is itself easy, that suggests that the whole is easy.

At least they don't physically drive faster than players are allowed. Maybe you just haven't figured out the the game's item system favors the underdogs? Last place is the biggest threat to first place, afterall. *how on earth did i ever get past All-Star Cup?*

I'm not stupid. I know how the item system is supposed to work. Of course, it's supposed to favor underdogs, but sometimes it doesn't which honestly, should never happen because that defeats the purpose of a system that favors underdogs and ultimately makes the game cheap on harder difficulties. I've gotten a banana at 7th place while 4th gets a lighting bolt. It happens and it shouldn't.  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:29 AM »
So you're suggesting that Nintendo takes the randomness out of Mario Kart?  Does that mean that the person in first place will get nothing but single banana peels and the person in last place will get nothing but blue shells?  That makes no sense at all.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »

Well expect more.

as long as it doesnt have spoilers i'd like to recieve more
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2007, 09:44:36 AM »
In a game like Zelda, the amount of damage you take is more or less irrelevant because if you die, nothing happens.  You just go back to the beginning of the dungeon (at worst; in a lot of cases you don't even go back that far) and have to trudge back through to the point where you were, which is more of an annoyance than any kind of genuine challenge.  Increasing the difficulty of fighting enemies just means increasing the likelihood that you'll have to play through the same small segment of the game over and over again -- how would that make the game more fun?  I guess the idea is supposed to be that you're raising the stakes, but that's an illusion since you can never get a real, non-continue-able "game over" anyway.  The real challenge comes from the puzzles.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:58 AM »
"Why require the player to spoil the whole game for himself before 'properly' playing the game? Oh right, because you couldn't think of anything better for the end game unlocks..."

I'd argue that end game unlockables should be optional.  Isn't seeing the ending and having the satisfaction of beating the game reward enough?  I don't mind unlockables but it shouldn't be an expected feature.  And some really dumb stuff gets locked.  Difficulty levels and multiplayer should never be locked.  What logic is there in having multiplayer features get unlocked by SINGLE PLAYER progress?  If the single player is good people will play it anyway and if some people don't who cares?  You already made the sale, right?  So some guy buys a FPS with a great single player but spends his whole time playing deathmatch with his buddies.  His loss.  Those who want to play it still can.  Does it really make any sense to force a player to play all modes?  What does the developer care?  One can beat Super Mario World without playing even close to all the levels.  Most people will try to find and play every level because they want to get the most from their game but if someone didn't want to do that they weren't punished.  They still saw the ending.  They still had access to all the content.  These days it's not uncommon to be forced to beat a training mode just to get the game going.  Why the hell can't I skip it if I want to?  If I suck because I'm a dumbass and didn't bother to learn the fundamentals before jumping in well tough sh!t for me.  Warcraft III did it right.  The Orc tutorial level is completely optional.  I beat it anyway because it was fun but if I want to go back and beat the game over I don't have to play it.

"Increasing the difficulty of fighting enemies just means increasing the likelihood that you'll have to play through the same small segment of the game over and over again -- how would that make the game more fun?"

Having to repeat areas is something you the player fear so it makes the enemy battle more intense.  It's part of the emotion one should feel when playing a Zelda game.  You're in charge of saving the world.  You should feel afraid to fail.  You're supposed to be a great hero so you should be heroic.  If the dangers of the world are a push-over what hero are you?  Also note that prior to Wind Waker's severely low difficulty Zelda games did have enemies that could kick your ass and make you have to repeat areas.  Failure isn't fun but not being able to fail brings no satisfaction.  In Ocarina of Time the first time I fought an Iron Knuckle my heart was beating like a jackhammer afterwards.  It was a cool moment and it was fun.  That moment would never have happened if I didn't feel threatened by the Iron Knuckle.

Losing sucks but if everyone wins it's dull.  You know why it's such a great moment to see a team you cheer for win the championship?  It's because they could have lost and not won it.  They earned it and there was great risk in them losing so the event is more special.  I'm bored when my team has already made the playoffs and the remaining games don't matter.  I'm bored when they've been eliminated and the remaining games don't matter.  I'm bored during exibition games because they don't matter.  A game is better if success matters even if you can only be delayed from succeeding, like in a videogame.  There is a balance though again.  If a person can learn from their defeat and do better each time to go through a difficult part it doesn't become tiresome.  But if you have to do it 100 times and still get no farther and sheer luck is required to win then it sucks.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:31 AM »

So you're suggesting that Nintendo takes the randomness out of Mario Kart? Does that mean that the person in first place will get nothing but single banana peels and the person in last place will get nothing but blue shells? That makes no sense at all.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Exactly. Take randomness completely out of Mario Kart. Yes, do that. What? Are you kidding me?

I never suggested absolutes (i.e. 1st should only get banana peels etc.). Rather, I'm suggesting a faulty item system in Double Dash (possibly due to reckless programming) especially when compared to other Mario Kart titles.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2007, 10:00:27 AM »

I've gotten a banana at 7th place while 4th gets a lighting bolt. It happens and it shouldn't.

I never suggested absolutes (i.e. 1st should only get banana peels etc.).
Christ; make up your mind.  If items are random then you're going to wind up getting crappy items when you're losing and good items when you're not; learn to live with it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure

Well expect more.

Can I assume that people have at least seen the screenshots from the first boss and hour of gameplay?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »
All games should be like Kameo.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2007, 11:37:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
All games should be like Kameo.

Mediocre with horrible character designs?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »
"I've gotten a banana at 7th place while 4th gets a lighting bolt. It happens and it shouldn't"

Face it, winners use Daisy.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2007, 01:37:32 PM »

Christ; make up your mind. If items are random then you're going to wind up getting crappy items when you're losing and good items when you're not; learn to live with it.

Christ, calm down. You're on a videogame forum. Stop acting like I slapped your mother.

An item system that favors underdogs doesn't work as it's meant to if the underdog isn't actually favored. Double Dash is the only Mario Kart I've played in which bad items can consistently be picked up when losing. There's a difference between randomness and cheapness. I've lost races when a mushroom is picked up right before the end of the race by another played. Alternatively, I've played numerous Double Dash races where I'm winning then get barraged with several items and once I'm losing, I end up getting bananas and green shells, unable to regain my position or even close the gap. Rare occurrences are acceptable as randomness, but that happens far more often than it ever should in Double Dash.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2007, 01:57:18 PM »

Well expect more.

Can I assume that people have at least seen the screenshots from the first boss and hour of gameplay?

:[

this is the first time i've avoided so many spoilers in a game, but oh well... I'll take the damn card
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2007, 02:23:57 PM »
i think the problem is not the difficulty level, but that the bosses become to formulaic. Usually its basically, every boss has a weak spot, if that weak spot is not visible then find a way to expose it, or wait for it to get into the position where it exposes it, it usually takes 3 hits on this weakspot, and for some bosses they have 3 stages. Thats pretty much how boss fights go in zelda or mario...if they could just find another way of doing the boss fight to change it up then maybe difficulty would become different.

as far as difficulty settings goes i will use viewtiful joe for an example. in the demo the game felt like it had a perfect  balance, but when i bought the retail version this changed as there were now difficulty levels. Kid was too easy and not fun, and adult was too hard and not fun. The demo had the balance not the game, and i never beat the game because i just found it either too challenging or too easy to keep by interest. There was a lack of balance that i didn't like.

I think the Metroid series is a little better in regard to bosses than either Zelda or Mario. I havnt played corruption yet, i hope i get it for christmas. Also on anotehr not i cant find 5 of my damn games, i think possibly some of my former roomates stole them while i was packing. Im missing sfa, mkdd, zeldatp, and re0.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2007, 04:51:24 PM »

Well expect more.

:[

this is the first time i've avoided so many spoilers in a game, but oh well... I'll take the damn card

Hmm... I'll find a way! Never fear!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
Nobody mentioned F-Zero GX and the insane ultra difficulty that not even all the princesses in the land hyped up on sugar could beat!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
Why does everybody say F-Zero GX was hard? My bro made it look pretty easy... then again, he IS a real Nintendo fan...

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2007, 09:10:20 PM »
In some of the levels (like the one with the people you had to destroy before the time limit) was plain frustrating.

Super Monkey Ball 1/2 in the Master stages were just plain impossible, sometimes even with an Action Replay..

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2007, 01:57:04 AM »
"Tell me, when was the last time you really played a difficult Mario platformer? Nintendo game's difficulty level has always been easier than most. "

Just to clarify, I was talking about boss difficulty, and lack of a feeling of danger from damage in regular locales. There's a certain sense of drama and thrill from struggle. Mario Sunshine for example had pretty difficult stages and levels (especially when you had fludd taken away) which were amazing, but quite a few of the bosses fights would have benefitted greatly if they didn't have the 3-hit rule.

Another thing, there are different types of boss fights that make them difficult. One requires precision and timing. Another requires strategy/logic/etc. (and of course, most bosses require both)

The 3 hit rule works for bosses that take a while to figure out what you have to do and therein lies the difficulty, but when you're talking about bosses that require timing and precision, it'd add a lot more to the fight if you had to inflict damage multiple times.

The early Megaman games are a good indication of this. Even knowing the bosses' attack pattern and what is required of yourself to win, it was difficult to execute it and execute it multiple times. (Personally, I think that the Megaman games were a bit TOO hard in this respect btw.) If it took just 3 hits, 4, or 5, a lot of the struggle and essentially a lot of the fun factor would be taken out. It just ends too quickly and easily. Making the amount of hits more is not at all a shallow way of increasing difficulty.

me: "Nintendo should, for the kids and newcomers, make things easier. I'm all for that. For the industry to survive, kids need to be able to break in."
Ian: "I don't get this. We were kids once with no previous game experience and yet we were tossed in to the deep end and didn't drown. When I was a kid games were probably the hardest they've even been. I sucked at games then and I suck now and I actually benefit from lower difficulties but lowering the standards for the next generation doesn't make any sense to me. What disadvantage do they have that we didn't?"

I meant compared to adults and hardcore gamers. You were comparing Kid Ian vs. kids of today. Maybe you were better, we can't really go back in time and empirically discover that. However, I think its safe to say you are a better gamer now, then when you were younger. In other words, Adult Ian>Kid Ian. Your reflexes are more refined, you're smarter, you have more experience, etc. (well maybe you used to play a lot more when you were younger and in that case, maybe younger you was better).

For all players of any age, for a traditional game (not Nintendogs) to have maximum enjoyment, it needs to be a step or two ahead of the player. There's needs to be a challenge that seems within reach, but takes some work to get there. If it seems out of the player's grasp, they will give up. What you ideally want is for there to be a progression, so that the skill level of the player goes up. Let's not lose sight that games are meant to be fun. Difficulty itself doesn't make a game fun. It's just a single, miniscule part of it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2007, 06:07:23 AM »
"For all players of any age, for a traditional game (not Nintendogs) to have maximum enjoyment, it needs to be a step or two ahead of the player. There's needs to be a challenge that seems within reach, but takes some work to get there. If it seems out of the player's grasp, they will give up."

I agree with that.  But I don't think the games today are difficult enough for a kid to give up on.  I STILL find older games harder when I play them with my better reflexes and higher intelligence then I find current games.  The standard today is still lower than it was regardless of my age or experience.  So why does this generation need that?  Why can't they handle what we could?  I'm not even asking for games to be that hard.  Hell I'd be content with games just not getting any easier than they are now (though I'd prefer about five or six years ago).  There is no reason I can see why kids today require easier games than we did.  Hell they all live in a world that is much more complex than we did.  There was no internet or cellphones when I was a kid.  Few people even had PCs.  Yet we could figure out the games at the time that for some reason are now too complex for kids that live in a more complex world.  Huh?

And even if games today were harder than they were when I was a kid wouldn't that be normal?  Look at sports.  Most pros from the 20's would be f*cked playing in today's major leagues.  New strategies are constantly introduced and the skill level has gone up.  And kids playing baseball and hockey and football are all being raised in a different era than the players before them with a higher level of play required.  And no one really cares there.  So a 12 year old basketball player has to be better now than a 12 year old basketball player had to be 20 years ago.  No one cares because it's a natural progression.  Even in day-to-day life we have to be "smarter" than people before us.  I need to know how to drive and how to use a computer and how to read.  Go back in time and you'll find that these skills become optional and eventually you'll reach a point where the skill didn't exist.  My job pretty much didn't even exist when my dad was my age.  But no one cares because that's just natural progress.

So if videogames just didn't get easier that would be a huge deal compared to what kids have to deal with in the rest of the world.  Logically they should get harder but they're getting easier.  And all I ask for is that they don't get easier.  Seems like a fair compromise and is still a better deal than everything else gives you.