Author Topic: 1UP reviews the conferences . . .  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
1UP reviews the conferences . . .
« on: July 12, 2007, 01:24:47 AM »
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/13070

Wow talk about blatant Nintendo bashing.

At around 11 minutes in when the girl says "I think MS is really bridging the gap between casual gamers and hardcore moreso than any other system" I nearly lost it. Thankfully the guy next to her said "Uh are you kidding me? More than Nintendo?" and then she replies "Yeah I mean Xbox has pac man".

PAC MAN!? Are you freaking kidding me!? You bash WiiFit and then say MS is leading the way with bridging the hardcore gamer and casual gamer gap with PAC MAN!? *head explodes*

The girl was clearly a MS fanatic so I guess I shouldn't have expected anything different. She almost killed her co-host person guy when he said the Halo 3 trailer didn't look that good.

Also they made fun of Nintendo for not having a lot of applause for the Smash Bros announcement of its release date. Hey how about how MS had no freaking applause for it's two new crappy Xbox models? How about the fact that the Halo 3 trailer received little to no applause? Yeah exactly. Very balanced reporting there guys and single insane MS fangirl.

So the moral of the story is: Don't be surprised if 1UP doesn't put out a lot of good Nintendo stories.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:1UP reviews the conferences . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:00:22 AM »
They must be mixing up names or something, because MS has always been more focused on the "hardcore" gamer. I think at E3 they helped solidify that market approach with their games.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE: 1UP reviews the conferences . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 05:42:11 AM »
I've always heard that 1Up always bashed Nintendo games in their reviews, but whatever, it's not like I even read 1Up at all. I will watch that video though, just to see who she is and what they say.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 05:43:23 AM »
The gaming media in general sucks. The only sites I can even stand to visit are specialized sites like NWR and blog sites like Kotaku. All these bigger publications are so biased, and they let that bias skew their entire site. Though I am primarily a Nintendo fan, I can recognize when a different company does a good job. So many of these publications can't give credit where credit is due because their biases get in the way (I'm looking at you Gamespot, and you too 1UP).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 06:24:43 AM »
A lot of the 1up crew seem to have a thing against Nintendo. The 1upYours podcast descends into drunken tirades against Nintendo all too often. But if you look at certain segments of the "hardcore" crowd this seems to be the norm. Heck, NeoGaf is full of meltdowns because Nintendo is popular.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:27:49 AM »
"They must be mixing up names or something, because MS has always been more focused on the 'hardcore' gamer."

Bullsh!t.  Xbox is the most casual focused, or was until the Wii came along.  MS offers "faux hardcore".  People spend a lot of money and the graphics are really nice and there's a lot of support for an expensive home theatre setup so they feel like they're hardcore.  A true hardcore gamer knows that Halo is a run-of-the-mill FPS.  The Xbox is fashionable and cool and all of that is because it was specifically marketed as such.  It's like how Starbucks makes people think they're all sophisticated when it's really a big corporate fast food chain designed to target people who feel they're above McDonalds.

True hardcore gamer consoles no longer exist.  Everyone is targeting the mainstream.  MS does it by making people think they're hardcore gamers.  Nintendo does it by making people think they really aren't gaming at all.  Sony... well Sony used to make people think they were gamers without being nerds but now doesn't seem to have a very good plan at all.

MS is just sort of becoming the de facto hardcore gamer system because Sony sucks now and Nintendo is too non-gamer focused.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:00:21 AM »
I definitely agree with Ian, the only thing I would have to say about Microsoft is that they are targeting casual consumers with the prospect of the Home Theater setup and media in your living room whereas Nintendo is targeting the casual consumer with simple fun products that make sense.

If you aren't trying to target new consumers, whoever they may be, you are insane. Growing your brand should be top priority from a business standpoint whether you are talking gaming or making shower heads. Nintendo has (perhaps at the expense of the true gamer) stated their intentions in plain English, and this is garnering media attention from non-gaming establishments, which has poised Nintendo as THE solution to gaming for the average Joe and the family.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 07:31:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"They must be mixing up names or something, because MS has always been more focused on the 'hardcore' gamer."

Bullsh!t.  Xbox is the most casual focused, or was until the Wii came along.  MS offers "faux hardcore".  People spend a lot of money and the graphics are really nice and there's a lot of support for an expensive home theatre setup so they feel like they're hardcore.  A true hardcore gamer knows that Halo is a run-of-the-mill FPS.  The Xbox is fashionable and cool and all of that is because it was specifically marketed as such.  It's like how Starbucks makes people think they're all sophisticated when it's really a big corporate fast food chain designed to target people who feel they're above McDonalds.

True hardcore gamer consoles no longer exist.  Everyone is targeting the mainstream.  MS does it by making people think they're hardcore gamers.  Nintendo does it by making people think they really aren't gaming at all.  Sony... well Sony used to make people think they were gamers without being nerds but now doesn't seem to have a very good plan at all.

MS is just sort of becoming the de facto hardcore gamer system because Sony sucks now and Nintendo is too non-gamer focused.

Which is why hardcore is a stupid descision, but at the moment most of the games on 360 are "hardcore" games at least by today's standards, they are for gamers, or at least appear that way.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:53:54 AM »
*shrug* I watched the video...I've seen that B!tch in other 1Up videos before, she needs to get laid or go mainstream. Anyway, yeah that group sucked, I would say the only guy with some sense is the one that counter-attacked the b!tch.

One thing I don't get is all this non-hardcore-gamer-unmanly bashing, we need that financial support for the hardcore-gamer-manly games, they just don't get it that since they are so cheap to produce and sell in the millions they can support those games that are expensive to develop and that we so clearly love but don't sell as much as they used to, we are a dying breed afterall. Without that financial support we could have very well seen an extreme decadence in the gaming industry and therefore no more hardcore-gamer-manly games, no more games...ok, I'm being a little extremist, but my point stands: it's pointless to bash on the non-hardcore-gamer-unmanly games.  

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:54:01 PM »
"rue hardcore gamer consoles no longer exist. Everyone is targeting the mainstream. MS does it by making people think they're hardcore gamers. Nintendo does it by making people think they really aren't gaming at all. Sony... well Sony used to make people think they were gamers without being nerds but now doesn't seem to have a very good plan at all."

That's got to be one of the truest things I've ever heard Ian say.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 06:05:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

... that's... true... wow.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 06:59:38 AM »
The best part of the video is that they declared Sony the winner after forcing us to watch a two minute trailer for a PS3 game that should have been named Generic FPS #213.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!