Author Topic: TMNT (GBA, because every other version is junk)  (Read 6848 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
TMNT (GBA, because every other version is junk)
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »
I'm just copying and pasting this from another forum but still, NWR's dead, needs ACTION. =)

Picked this up today, it's GREAT-O. Yeah yeah, there's new TMNT games based on the upcoming movie for basically every system under the sun and even those that aren't, like GameCube. But the GBA version goes in a completely different direction to the other stink fests! This one's a true blue old school, side scrolling beat 'em up. I don't know which developer Ubisoft passed this onto it, but they're legends.

Choose your turtle and awaaay you go. It's obviously based on the movie, but there's very little story bullshit to bog you down between levels. It has an extremely entertaining combat system, allowing you to juggle enemies in the air, kick them back to knock down others and stuff. All sorts of background elements can be broken to get weapons if you're not satisfied with using the trademark one you already have, like say knocking down a street sign to swing around, or ripping newspaper box.. things out of the ground and chucking them about. The game also breaks out of the common old 'two enemies will attack at once while a third will shuffle back and forth' thing. Sometimes there's like five or six on screen, and you'll get messed up reeeeaal goood.

Enemies will drop coins, that bounce happily. You can also walk around the shops after each level. It's very River City-ish. Actually there seems to be a fair bit of extra stuff to do between each level, mini games and stuff. But you don't have to fart around with all that, you can just leap straight into the next level. Experience points are also earned, you get more depending on how stylish you are when killing people. I guess they do something eventually, I haven't put that much time into the game yet. The graphics are amazing for a GBA movie licensed game, the sprite animation is ultra SUPER MEGA fluid. It really looks awesome in motion.

Music is uuuh.. It's no classic Konami TMNT, that's for sure. I mean, it's technically pretty good (sort of cheese rawk with bits of muffled techno I guess) but forgettable. The only buuuupboooow is that there's no multiplayer. At all. You can call in a second CPU turtle to drop off health, but that's about it. Basically, if you're a fan of beat 'em ups, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! It dumps barrels of turtle soup all over Konami's horrible GBA efforts. A really fun game. And needs all the lovin' it can get because nobody gives a crap about GBA anymore!

THE LAST GREAT GBA GAME? Probably.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: TMNT (GBA, because every other version is junk)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:00:17 AM »
No multiplayer makes me frown...This isn't Teenage Mutant Ninja TURTLE! ;_;

(I might check it out if I have money after Super Paper Mario!)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:08:44 AM »
And it isn't Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoise either so most of the game would have to be underwater.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 03:22:35 AM »
And...and....and...

I love lamp.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
RE:TMNT (GBA, because every other version is junk)
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
And it isn't Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortoise either so most of the game would have to be underwater.

I don't know how it is in Europe, but here in the U.S. we have terrestrial turtles... =)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »
Those are called tortoises.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:57:12 AM »
No, they are TURTLES... =|

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:53:34 PM »
Terrapene carolina carolina. That means it's a Terrapin

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
No, they are TURTLES... =|
no, in English they're called TORTOISES
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »
I really don't see what you are trying to prove with that, because while terrapins are indeed water-dwelling, Box Turtles are a terrestrial off-shoot...

(Athrun failed at reading the link I provided... =3)

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 06:09:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
(Athrun failed at reading the link I provided... =3)
indeed xD

I blame that on the fact that it's 3:12 AM >_> .....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
But it's not Teenage Mutant Ninja Terrapins, either.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 07:43:50 AM »
What really upsets me is the obvious facts that developers don't listen to, or even have a pulse on what gamers want.

When all the new TMNT games were being created all I heard were hopes that they would create a game similar to the original arcade game.  Gamers weren't crying for a 3D platformer or brawler to be created.  They just wanted a simple and fun mindless 2D brawler that you can play with 4 friends.  

But that game was never created.  I guess people were afraid they couldn't of kept it interesting and that it would become repetitive.  But the truth is simply, we should be able to create a classic designed brawler with enough variety in move sets, and advanced enemy AI to keep the game clever and exciting.  

Unfortunately, we weren't given the game we all wanted...instead we were given what the developers wanted to create.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
But it's not Teenage Mutant Ninja Terrapins, either.

Gentlemen, the point is not the nomenclature of the animal in question but the fact that it lacks plurality.

I agree perfectly with Spak: I believe that developers gave up on 2D brawlers because they lack the skill to make one properly.

Remember Streets of Rage on the Genesis? Remember the arcade game DND: Shadows over Mystara? These games were able to take the classic button mashing formula and build upon it a solid game design which lent depth to the gameplay. Even TMNT: Turtles in Time had a great deal more depth in the number of moves you could perform and such.

But my guess is that devs shy away from these types of games because they don't understand their potential to evolve, because no one wants to risk an attempt at reinventing the genre because, like my statement implies, it involves risk.

3D platform fighters have been done many times before and the ones we see these days are typically only made when they're attached to an established franchise, like TMNT.

It's a shame we'll probably never see it, but I believe the proper developer could reinvent the 2D brawler genre for a whole new generation if they did it right and put some heart into it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 06:01:24 PM »
The problem with arcade-style games is that they take maybe 30 minutes to finish if you're good enough and loads of deaths if you aren't. Neither is desirable for today's "everyone must be able to beat it" design style because deaths are frowned upon (hey, gotta keep up the illusion that any random idiot is a great player!) and without deaths a 30 minute playtime is too short.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:00:53 AM »
Yes, and the problem with platformers is that they require tons of failure to keep them from being only 11 minutes long, but that didn't stop the innovation of the genre to the point we're at today.

Like I said, it could be done but it would require someone to think outside the box and take a risk that the concept would be well-received, two things which devs these days are leery of doing.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 05:27:55 AM »
We will see more games eventually come out with classic or Retro feel.

I actually miss the one screen Retro games of the games...and I believe we can make new games of that Genre with new techniques and overall understanding of games can make them exciting.

It is not wise to never look back once we have advanced in any field, but specially fields of creativity.

Personally, I believe a 4 player Brawler has many levels it can evolve.  How about using advanced AI to actually have enemies work together while they fight, and assess the situation and come up with counter attacks and such.  

How about the Players being forced to work together to overcome enemies, and actually find ways to exploit their fighting style, and not just the enemies patterns.  

How about a more advanced combo system, throw system, blocking system and such so that you feel actually in control of the player instead of doing preset moves.

All of these elements could be implemented better in 2D Brawlers and more...so why haven't they?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 06:25:38 AM »
A 15 hour brawler would get quite repetitive...

Offline Dryden

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 07:09:06 AM »
Well, if making a good 2-D multiplayer brawler implies risk for developers, then they should be cashing in on established franchises that sell well to minimize risk of poor sales.  I'd pay good money to play a ol' fashioned 2-D brawler with a few friends, if it had a strong cast of unlockable characters, as well as other elements that make TMNT GBA such a good game.

Specifically, I'm thinking about the 6-player X-Men arcade game, and how it could be updated massively.  Or even a Smash Bros. approach, with multiple franchises.  A Capcom-themed side scrolling brawler would be amazing, if only for the character depth.  Bring back Haggar!
Brawl FC: TONX, 2964 - 8248 - 7611  -  PM if you add me.  Calgary, AB!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »
HELLO, IDIOTS

I RECOMMEND READING THE FIRST POST

IT'S A GOOD GAME

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 04:30:55 AM »
Mario we read the first post.  We evolved the discussion.  

The last GREAT Brawler was Capcom's Alien vs. Preditor.  

I wish that an arcade perfect version of that game was available on the VC.

KDR:  No body is asking for a 15 hour Brawler.  I think a good 3-5 hour Brawler that has multi-player capabilities, several unique players to play as.  And a variety of well programmed enemy AI characters would be great.

A short game that pushes great replay value is worth more than 10-15 hour single experience.  

Look at the classic SNES games.  The Mario Platformers can be beaten in less than a few hours...yet it is a classic that deserves to be replayed over and over.

Brawlers are the same.  When you have 4 friends around, they are mindless fun.  If you can design the game to take the mindless out then you would have a great experience.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »

Originally posted by: MarioIT'S A GOOD SINGLE PLAYER GAME

Fixed.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »
YOU GUYS SHOULD GO PLAY THIS INSTEAD OF THE PAST THE PAST IS SO YESTERDAY GIRLFRIEND I also picked up Advance Guardian Heroes real cheap, it's... nothing.. like Guardian Heroes, but it's alright for punchy punchy. Man, three GBA games in a month, that's unheard of considering I hate the GBA!

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »
I actually went back and played Advance Guardian Heroes, I've never played the original on I think Saturn?  Anyways, loved it except for the frame rate drops when too much is happening on screen.

TMNT on GBA is awesome, just wished I could play multiplayer with someone....