Author Topic: PREVIEWS: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
PREVIEWS: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:30:05 PM »
Now you can discriminate against the letter "C" on your Wii!

While many genres seem like a perfect fit for the Wii remote, fighting games are a bit harder to translate, with their dependency on button combos and precise movement. Ed Boon and Midway are looking to dispel any concerns you have with Mortal Kombat Armageddon, however, and if the final product is as good as Boon’s recent presentation, (seen below) Wii owners can count on a faithful rendition.    

First off, if you’re wary of using the Remote + Nunchuck combo, Armageddon will be compatible with GameCube and Classic Controllers. If you’re willing to take the plunge, though, you’ll be in for quite an experience – all of the game’s special moves are now mapped to simple gestures. For example, to perform Scorpion’s signature spear move, you have to flick backwards, and then quickly forwards. Similarly, you’ll only have to flick down, and then up to execute a teleport with various characters.    

You can also expect to use gestures in Armageddon’s Kreate-A-Fatality feature. Boon’s example (once again using Scorpion), was composed mostly of short, intuitive motions – it appears easy enough to remember. Through these actions, you’ll be able to do anything from unsheathe a sword to kicking your opponent in his Nether-realm.    

Unfortunately, online play was not discussed, so there’s still no telling if the Wii version will include the feature. Stay tuned to Nintendo World Report as more on this game is revealed.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PREVIEWS: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
kool.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:37:10 PM »

First off, if you’re wary of using the Remote + Nunchuck combo, Armageddon will be compatible with GameCube and Classic Controllers.

Bolding Obviously mine.

I saw this bit at Gamespot and thought that Ed Boon was mistaken. Gamecube controls on a Wii Game? Didn't Nintendo say that wasn't possible?

Then this got me thinking: Zelda TWP for the Wii could have had traditional controls if they wanted to. But then there would be absolutely no reason to go foward with the 'Cube version. It would have been the end-all version  (sans left-handedness).  Might as well double dip, right? The upcoming Fire Emblem could easily use 'Cube controls instead of using an unintuitive Wiimote tethered to the classic controller. So either:

A)Nintendo's own internal teams are stupid.
B)The people at Midway are effing geniuses.
C)Typical Nintendo oversight. They could have easily made a wireless classic controller with the same style, just use the GCN ports.

I'd rather stick with my Wavebird where I only change batteries twice a year as opposed to changing batteries on my Wiimote bi-weekly. (None of this 'Your're cheap, buy rechargeable batteries crap'. Nintendo says on their warning labels not to use NiMH batteries to avoid leakage. Excuse me for actually heeding this.)

Unfortunately, online play was not discussed, so there’s still no telling if the Wii version will include the feature.

This goes back to my question in NWR podcast 33. Why don't the big 3rd parties get started going on-line, let Nintendo play-catch up? The user-base is there. Virtua Fighter 5, Tekken 6, and most likely Soul Calibur IV aren't going to grace the Wii, with online to boot. But as the NWR hosts graciously answered, the 3rd parties need to look to Nintendo to see how its done.

I'm not the biggest MK fan in the world, but I'd snap this without hesitation if online play was added. Midway wouldn't have any worries about competition from real other fighting games. Its a shame an opportunity will be missed because Nintendo wasn't ready. Plus if Midway could get this online (3d fighter), SSB Brawl (2d fighter?) shouldn't be too much of problem.

*Cue Nintendo apologists*  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown

I saw this bit at Gamespot and thought that Ed Boon was mistaken. Gamecube controls on a Wii Game? Didn't Nintendo say that wasn't possible?

I'm pretty sure Smash Bros. Brawl will be using the Gamecube controller as an option, so I doubt that was the reason for the Wii TP.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
RE: PREVIEWS: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »
You're definitely right about 3rd parties needing to push online.  The question is, is Nintendo going to let a third-party go online first?  We don't know what is going on with online right now, it could be Nintendo wants to go first to set a standard, but really, standards for online gaming have already been reached, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

BTW, ever since E3, the un-official report on GC controllers used on Wii games has been bright.  This was answered by SSB:B, when they said that it would be made for use by a Gamecube controller.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 02:16:48 PM »
Uh, doesn't the fact that 'Cube controllers can be used in the VC make it pretty obvious that Wii software can use them?

Anyway, the Wii controls actually looked pretty good in that video.  It'll be interesting to see how well it works in actual, fast-paced combat, though it's nice to know classic controls will be available as a failsafe.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 02:37:42 PM »
I would figure Nintendo would frown on its internal teams using last gens controller.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 02:40:28 PM »
Dragonball Z: Budokai whatever has the GC controller option too.  

Djunknown, the battery leakage concern is completely antiquated.  If you buy disposables, you're just creating a lot of unnecessary waste.  I won't be surprised whenever someone decides to outright ban single-use batteries.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »
Both SSB Brawl and Fire Emblem have the option to use a GameCube controller.  Sakurai said so for the former, and there are Wii screenshots of the latter showing GameCube button icons at the bottom.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:47:13 PM »
Ok, I guess I'll eat some crow concerning the use of 'Cube controllers. No doubt I overlooked this small fact until this announcement with MK.

On topic, the controls look promising. Though I wonder how they will handle the rest of cast...

Double checked the interview they did here.. No online.

Still worth a rent though.

Bloodworth: That allays my paranoia of battery acid trickling on my hands. But I'm still a cheapass
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »

Bloodworth: That allays my paranoia of battery acid trickling on my hands. But I'm still a cheapass

How is buying two rechargable AAs once per remote more expensive than two normal AAs every other week per remote?
GOREGASM!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »
He's a manger, he doesn't like thinking beyond the fiscal quarter.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:46:12 AM »
I think the Wii controls for this game look pretty interesting. It is comforting to know that it supports the GC controller just in case it is too difficult to use the Wiimote all the time. I am slightly disappointed that we have another game on our hands that won't be online compatible. Nintendo needs to get into gear and make sure this network is ready to go sooner than later.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 02:11:05 AM »

I'd rather stick with my Wavebird where I only change batteries twice a year as opposed to changing batteries on my Wiimote bi-weekly. (None of this 'Your're cheap, buy rechargeable batteries crap'. Nintendo says on their warning labels not to use NiMH batteries to avoid leakage. Excuse me for actually heeding this.)

I used to wonder about the warnings not to use rechargeable batteries, too, but Nintendo's support site contradicts the manual's warning:

If you would like to use rechargeable batteries, the only type of battery recommended are Nickel Metal Hydride batteries. When it comes to using rechargeable batteries, you must follow manufacturer guidelines for safety and proper usage. Failure to do so could cause damage to the Wii Remote and void the warranty.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 02:43:37 AM »
Hell, these days EVERYTHING is labelled "do not use rechargeables". Probably just to avoid liability when someone uses his 20 year old rechargeables.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 01:30:09 PM »
Getting back on topic...

I wonder if they will use motion controls for the Fatalities...

EDIT: Just saw the fatalities.

Has anyone realized by watching the videos that the Wii might make fighters VERY easy to learn and play!

I mean, one of SB's complains about Street fighter 2 is that the game forces you to memorize lots of button patters and motions. In my case, I've always had problems trying to do the Fatalities since I could never remember the combination.

The Wii, however, turns long and annoying button combinations into simple movements.

I hope the controls are good on MK Armageddon and other developers learn from it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
Apparently Dragon Ball Z turned out really well, and it was a PS2 port.. this was one genre I was worried about, but it looks like it'll be just fine..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Apparently Dragon Ball Z turned out really well, and it was a PS2 port.. this was one genre I was worried about, but it looks like it'll be just fine..

I've heard from some of my friends that the controls take a while to get used to, but are quite good and makes it so that it feels like you ARE the character performing the moves.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 10:52:45 PM »
Metal Slug also uses the GameCube controller~
I'm not a fan of Midway's ultra lazy dumping ground attitude towards the Wii. It's not really much of a step up from them totally ignoring GC and now DS. I can see this selling like rubbish, and it'll deserve it.  

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »
I'm playing through Budokai Tenkaichi 2 now for review. It's solid, but it's got issues. Wait for the article, but I *will* say that I no longer fear the *concept* of fighting games on Wii.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 07:47:05 AM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
I'm playing through Budokai Tenkaichi 2 now for review.
I don't believe you; I'm still waiting for the Battle for New York review.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!