Author Topic: Wiimote battery life?  (Read 6988 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Wiimote battery life?
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:38:45 AM »
I've seen claims of 30+ hours of battery life for the Wiimote but mine is closer to 5, especially transporting the Wii somewhere seems to drain the batteries.

What gives?

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Wiimote battery life?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:43:20 AM »
maybe when you're transporting it, the buttons are being pressed, which also drains the batteries because its trying to detect the Wii.

The remote battery lasts a pretty long time when using only motion sensing (60 hours), continuous use of the pointer, like in a game like trauma center uses up a lot more power (30 hours). But 5 hours? I dunno man. I found the batteries that came with the remote to last a really short time. So I guess it depends on brand too.

EDIT: Another theory. Maybe you need to get Elebits (Or play more of it, if you already have it). Your Remote is trying to tell you something.  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »
I've changed them once in two weeks (with heavy play). I use rechargeables though so it's not a big deal.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:14:06 AM »
I just get done playing until mine where drained.  I can't tell you the exact hour for the whole battery but I can tell you that I played roughly 6+ hours of Zelda on 1 bar of battery life.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
I don't have an exact figure, but the initial batteries that came with my remotes each lasted between 25-35 hours and I had the rumble and the speaker turned all the way up.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:00:03 AM »
i would say in my experience, they should last you a good 20-30 hours
i use 2000 mhp, AA rechargeables
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 08:45:41 AM »
Mine are rechargeable 2700 NiMh and they last for 25-30 hours too.
And since I have 4, I usually have the next pair charged and ready when the first pair dies.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Wiimote battery life?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:14 AM »
The first pair lasted about 24 hours for me.  So far I think I have about trhe same amount of time on the second pair, and it's only gone down one bar.  So between 24 and 30 hours.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »
The first set of batteries that came with my system lasted for 25h and 25m play time (including channels) and does not include idle time.

Technically the controller still had some juice, but the "change your batteries" notice was displayed.

Edit: KDR:  You never know what kind of batteries get packed into these types of electronics... how old they are, storage conditions, etc.  Try a known fresh pair and then report back.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:13:54 PM »
EDIT: Another theory. Maybe you need to get Elebits (Or play more of it, if you already have it). Your Remote is trying to tell you something.

That'd be kinda hard since I'm not aware of a Wii modchip yet and the Wii is region locked.

You never know what kind of batteries get packed into these types of electronics... how old they are, storage conditions, etc. Try a known fresh pair and then report back.

I've already gone through 6 batteries from a battery pack we bought separately. I'm not playing the Wii much so they shouldn't empty that fast.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 02:00:31 AM »
Question, what exact symptom is being displayed that your prompted to change the battery... and what game are you playing during these symptoms?

Offline Vundu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 02:20:02 AM »
I switched NiMH rechargables as normal batteries were only lasting me a week.

I have noticed the Wiimotes speaker to be a bit more crackily with the rechargables.
There are a lot scarier things than you, and I'm one of them!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 03:48:56 AM »
Question, what exact symptom is being displayed that your prompted to change the battery... and what game are you playing during these symptoms?

Wiimote battery showing one bar in the home menu or not reacting at all (only flashing one light when a button is pressed). I once had one going from 4 bars to no reaction within a day that included a 3 hour transport.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 04:12:58 AM »
Also, don't use crap batteries. Name brands really do make a (big) difference.  
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 04:15:37 AM »
Im using NiMH batteries without any problems.
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 12:36:41 PM »
I'm not sure what level of playing time I'm getting out of the batteries I'm using but I don't really care. I have designated two sets of AA Energizer rechargeable batteries to be soley for my Wiimote controller. As soon as one pair goes dead I just pop in the other pair and stick the two dead batteries in the charger. That way as soon as the second set goes flat I have the first set all charged up and ready to go.

I too noticed that the pack-in batteries sort of sucked ass but what else is new in the world of free batteries?

Offline vherub

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 07:41:53 AM »
the panasonic industrial strength batteries that come with the wiimote lasted 20-30 hours
During one failure, I was playing rayman rabbid, the game paused and something came up saying the player was disconnected
battery life depends on the battery, some pretty good rechargeables that pay for themselves to take a look at are hybrio

Offline Dan_Flyhight

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 02:08:27 PM »
I've found that if you keep the batteries out of the controller while your NOT playing with them, the batteries last about 30-40 hours.
That's my solution.
If ever the acid-spitting llamas ever engulf your esophagus out of fear for their own pancreas, you know who to call...

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »
I think that, in my expert opinion, KDR is either:

1) Playing way more than he thinks he is and should try good timekeeping
2) Using batteries that are from a bad lot
3) Has a short in his Wii remote and should try a second one or borrow a friends to try for a bit.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 06:21:47 PM »
Both of my Wiimotes act like that and I'm pretty sure I'm not playing my Wii that much (it does keep track of your time after all, it's about 2 hours on days I even use the thing, usually it just sits there collecting dust). The biggest discharge was during transports, often from full or nearly full to almost empty in an hour or two of transporting.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 06:23:28 PM »
Take out the batteries while you do that - whenever you push the button while the remote is off it uses battery power.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 02:35:08 AM »
After the first time I transported them with the batteries removed. I remember when I had to do that with my wireless mouse and how glad I was when I got one with an on/off switch.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 03:08:19 AM »
I just replaced my batteries yesterday for the second time since launch. Pretty good battery life I would say
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 03:25:14 AM »
The wiimotes eat batteries like no tomorrow.  I turned off rumble in hopes it would help and bought some extra rechargeables.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 04:17:52 AM »
I like how the last two statements are totally contradictory.  It's all relative, I'm personally pretty satisfied.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX