Author Topic: Wii Remote Shortage  (Read 5586 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wii Remote Shortage
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »
How successful has everyone been in getting 4 remotes? I only got one extra one at launch, and now I rue the decision. I didn't expect it to be this high in demand at all. I keep checking stores only to find them still sold out. How has everyone else fared?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Remote Shortage
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:36:31 PM »
Let me put it this way, I've not only never seen a Wii for sale in a store (I still think its a huge joke being played on just me), never seen a Wiimote in its packaging and ready for sale, but I've never seen a nunchuck in person before.

For the first 2 weeks I had never even seen a Wii game. the only thing to ever be on any shelves and clue me in to where the Wii section was, is the stupid Wii stand, the Sling bag, the Gloves, the Wii Points card and those overpriced Wii SD cards. And even then there weren't that many of those left over either. But I have seen a classic controller once, but I didn't buy it..... if that counts for anything.

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
RE: Wii Remote Shortage
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »
I got lucky and got three extra wiimotes and a nunchuck at launch, and there were only about 11 extra Wiimotes and a line with about 40 with me being 4th in line, I'm sure the line was very pissed in seeing me walk away with all the remotes, but hey, every man for himself!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:57:47 PM »
Reserved the extra 3 motes n' chucks. That was the only way I could get em.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »
I actually got myself 3 extra sets less than a week from launch.  Target had just gotten a shipment in when we went by there.  We lucked out.

When I got a Wii for my mother though, no such luck in finding extra remotes.  Luckily, and I say this now, one of my controllers wrist straps broke resulting in a flying controller.  It still works, but the rumble is now audible.  When we called Nintendo about it, they decided to send out another remote for us, as well as a fixed strap.  Since I already have 4 controllers, I am probably just giving my mom the second controller as well.

With that said:  I have seen them around in Portland, Oregon.  It just depends on how much you check, and how diversely you check.  Checking one store doesn't necessarily get you anywhere.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 06:18:53 PM »
i saw them on sale for a while
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 07:03:49 PM »
I still can't find a second one.  I had a Wii reserved but figured remotes would be easy.  However I was out of town the day before, so I didn't get to the GameStop till around 1pm, and they were all gone by that time.

Haven't found one since.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 07:17:44 PM »
I finally got my nunchuk at the other Circuit City. The "Sales dude" (seriously, I think all the retailers hire perma-baked christmas help) said that they just got them in that morning and they have been selling out their Wii stuff on the same day it comes in. They also had some component cables for $60, but I'm not insane

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 07:24:14 PM »
Well now that the eBay prices are officially not batshit crazy, buying component cables for $60 would be beyond silly.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 07:26:08 PM »
No remotes left in this area in Aus but there's a million nunchucks just sitting there. However we did get about as many Wii Plays as systems so that made getting another controller a fair bit easier.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 07:27:11 PM »
I kind of hope Nintendo did something crazy like shipping twice as many nunchucks as they did extra remotes.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline LunaticFringe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 07:53:46 PM »
call me lucky, but where I go to college there is a gamestop and a walmart.  Its a small little town in upstate new york.  I'm normally from maryland.  Anyways when Wii came out, I was back home for thanksgiving break.  I couldnt find a wiimote or nunchuck to save my life.  When I went back to school, there were tons of them at walmart.  I didn't buy four because alltogether they are like 60 bones a pop, and I really only need two for Wii Sports right now.  My dad ended up ordering another one off the internet for chistmas.  I'm sure I'll pick up another one by the time SSB:B is released, but obviously there is no rush.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 01:32:37 AM »
I just preordered Wii Play to make sure I get a fourth, because I sold my fourth to a friend.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 02:32:11 AM »
I got three extra controllers on launch day - the priviledge of camping out overnight.  I owe it all to Unclebob who said that it looked like they'd be hard to get from what he was seeing at his Wal-Mart.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 02:38:23 AM »
Besides Target on November 19th (launch day), where there had enough Wii-motes, Nunchuks and Classic Controllers for all 69 people buying a Wii to get at least 2 of each if they wanted to, I've only ever seen 1 Wii-mote and that was about a week after launch at a Best Buy. No Nunchuks or Classic Controllers.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 02:38:43 AM »
TRU at Times Square had truckloads of everything...had I known, I would have bought controllers for anyone who asked
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 03:27:00 AM »
I have a second Wii Remote only because I (or rather, my mom) pre-ordered that.  When she asked about Nunchuks, EBGames said they couldn't reserve one, or at least not one for us, and I still haven't been able to get one.

Hence, I missed out on multiplayer Red Steel when I rented it and I still haven't tried two-player Wii Sports: Boxing.  >_<

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 03:34:02 AM »

Originally posted by: MattVDB
Luckily, and I say this now, one of my controllers wrist straps broke resulting in a flying controller.  It still works, but the rumble is now audible.  When we called Nintendo about it, they decided to send out another remote for us, as well as a fixed strap.

What did it sound like?  Mine has buzzed during intense rumbling since I got it, and if it's not supposed to do that, I may be able to get it replaced.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 03:38:12 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I got three extra controllers on launch day - the priviledge of camping out overnight.  I owe it all to Unclebob who said that it looked like they'd be hard to get from what he was seeing at his Wal-Mart.

Glad I could help!

With that said, to (almost) everyone else, I say "HAHA!  I told you so!"

Also, store.nintendo.com usually has controllers and nunchucks for sale at retail + shipping.  It's not a bad deal, if you really want more.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 03:44:55 AM »
I got an extra Wiimote and nunchuck at launch.  I've requested another combo for Christmas, and my mother tends to be very resourceful, so we'll see how that goes.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 05:55:25 AM »
At launch I got one Wiimote and Nunchuku I couldn't justify the Classic controller but I wish I had now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 06:29:57 AM »
I do have two Classic Controllers and 2000 Wii Points.  I opened the Points but haven't used any and the controllers are still in their packaging.  My brother insists that the first game we download should be Super Mario Bros., which isn't available yet.  >_<

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 06:32:53 AM »
I bought a classic controller at launch with the preconceived notion that I wouldn't use it all that much. I basically got it just to have it, especially should a developer decide to port over a game without Wii-specific controls and zero support for a GameCube controller (meaning "Classic Controller-Only").
PEACE--->Rhoq