Author Topic: Problem: Shakey pointer  (Read 7380 times)

Offline LunaticFringe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Problem: Shakey pointer
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »
Okay so I picked up a Wii this morning from Gamestop (showed up an hour early and was 8th for 9 consoles).

Anyways I got home and started playing at 7:30.  It was awesome, everything was working perfectly.  Controllers are sold out everywhere, so my cousins who also got one today come over and bring their controller.  Try out some multiplayer Wii spots, lovin' it.

Okay so around 4:00pm my remote starts acting funny.  I am having hard time holding it in one place without it shaking all over the place.  Its still functioning but it shakes, not a lot but its noticible.  Its easily possible to miss the bars/buttons you want to click on.

When i read the manual, it said to be wary of setting up your sensor bar in places that get glare or light reflection.  My TV has a window on either side of it and a painting with glass over it behind it.  Not to mention behind it my kitchen window usually lets in a lot of light directly on to the TV.

My question is:  Is that enought to completely screw up the sensor bar?  Also, why wasn't it screwing up before unless maybe sunset was causing more glare than usual?   I'll wait till after sunset and try and again.  If its fixed i'll post back.  Anyways, if anyone has any similar experiences let me know.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Problem: Shakey pointer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »
Yeah, my main guess would be that the lighting in your room changed, otherwise why would it work fine only to screw up later.  Good luck!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline LunaticFringe

• View Profile
RE:Problem: Shakey pointer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 09:42:02 AM »
i duno maybe someone dropped it when i was taking a nap

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 10:04:26 AM »
If it's a permenant malfunction ( as in even at night the Wiimote is shakey ), it's a sure guess that the Wiimote/Sensor bar is to blame.  Try some troubleshooting with your cousins and see if your Sensor bar works fine with their Wiimotes, and if your Wiimote works well with their sensor bar.

Offline PoopyLoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
Mine started doing the SAME THING but only in the Wii Channels area, the pointer in Zelda is normal...
This is my signature.

Offline LunaticFringe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 10:23:46 AM »
was yours permanently like that?

Offline PoopyLoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »
Nope, it's really weird but it's nothing major.

My bigger problem is that I'll never get my Wii to go online where I live
This is my signature.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 12:18:30 PM »
YOu can change the sensitivty of the sensor bar which could fix issues like this.

Offline SeaBass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:23:41 PM »
sometimes its because you are positioned slightly to the left or right of the sensor bar. you have to be pretty much centered with the sensor bar for best results. i have a huge window in front of my TV and it works fine =)
Wii# 4310-0130-1625-6299

Offline LunaticFringe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
my dad is watching TV right now

I tried it before i went shopping for a phone when it was dark.  The glare and the windows were not the problem.

I was laying on my couch which is to the left of my TV a little, so I'll try and move closer to the middle and see if that fixes it.

I don't think it is a sensitivity thing because it was working fine before.

It usually acts up when it is rotated to the side.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 01:45:35 PM »
I've noticed a "shaky pointer" under 2 circumstances...the first should be obvious, shaky hands. The second is from being too far away from the sensor bar.

As far as lighting changes - my best friend was playing his Wii yesterday and the Wii-mote kept unsyncing with the console. We noticed that there was a lot of natural light coming in through the blinds. He adjusted the lighting situation in his living room and the problem was fixed.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
If I'm kind of far away, or there's a lot of sunlight, then in the Wii Channels my pointer gets shaky sometimes (more often when it's on the bottom screen). I think it's just overly sensitive on the Wii Channels, I've never had the same experience with any games (played Wii Sports, Zelda, Madden, and COD3 so far).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 05:03:10 PM »
I had this problem too and it was because light from the two windows next to my tv was very bright.  My TV is in a bad spot that gets awful glare if the blinds aren't closed (direct sunlight, tv almost unwatchable).  I was going to close the blinds anyway so I could actually see the tv well but it did cause shakeyness.

Offline LunaticFringe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 08:14:40 PM »
Just an update

When i played Wii sports and Zelda, the problem was non existent

Night time, no glare etc, seemed to help but only  little.   Moving closer and more towards the center of the LED receiver didnt really help.

Slowing down the speed of the pointer seemed to help an incredible ammount.  It still shakes more than when I first got it, but not as bad as before i slowed it down a little.

Anyways, other people please post if you have noticed something similar.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:54:27 AM »
It goes away when you change the sensitivity of your sensor bar. Go to Wii options from the main interface thingy.

Also, if you have your sensor bar above your TV I've noticed that if you point directly at your TV it will be shaky, but then if you point it kind of higher, more towards the bar it will become smoother. Hope that helps.

Offline PoopyLoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:54:34 AM »
Did you notice that it was more in the corners than in the middle of the screen?
This is my signature.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 05:11:47 AM »
The pointer slightly autosnaps to Wii Channels.  It's also doesn't like it when your at angles to the sensor bar.  Finally, I've had better luck below the TV than above it.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 09:01:04 AM »
I'm having the same problem. In the Wii menus, if I point at certian areas of the screen, the pointer will jump around a bit. And movement is kind of choppy, like a Rare game. I'm not having the problem in Zelda, and I don't remember having any problems before I performed a software update... so it may be a software issue.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 03:33:19 PM »
It also does that also when you put something shiny by the sensor bar, or another controller. We had those problems since we store our dogs bowls on the top the TV, the metal was reflecting some of the ir transmission confusing the controller.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 03:33:29 PM »
Sorry double post. Internet is acting slow.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »
I've had this same problem myself.  My first 2 controllers had no problem whatsoever, but when I added a third, it couldn't hold still on the screen.  We thought at first the controller itself was damaged.  What we've come to discover, is that most of the time, it has to do with the angle you are at from the screen, or rather the sensor bar.  There is a sweet spot of about 45 degrees, and anything outside of that can get jumpy or shakey.  Functional, but shakey.  If your position is going to be chaning, consider rotating the bar.

Additionally, try to keep lights or reflective surfaces that can cause glare, away from your TV/sensor bar.  Example: at my parents house, they have a lamp behind the tv.  When that was turned on, it was being read as one of the points on the sensor bar, and was causing interference.  When the light was turned off, play went back to normal.  Make sure you don't have any lights reflecting to the point that they are being read as a primary point.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 12:43:52 PM »
Mine will shake but only when I'm far away, about 9 feet.  The control at that distance really amplifies the natural shakes in my hands.  Especially after playing for a very long successions and being tired in general.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.