Author Topic: GameCube/SSBM Bundle Ships  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
GameCube/SSBM Bundle Ships
« on: August 24, 2005, 08:06:59 PM »
The system's biggest seller is now selling with the system.

Did You Know?  Super Smash Bros. Nintendo GameCube Bundle Released    

The most popular game in the Nintendo GameCube(TM) library is about to become   part of an amazing deal. Starting the last week of August, Nintendo will   release a special Super Smash Bros.(R) Melee Nintendo GameCube bundle, at an   MSRP of only $99.99. Saving $29.99, consumers nationwide get a great game and   the system to play it on - all for one low price.    

Since its debut in late 2001, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Rated T for Teen, has   sold more than 2.9 million copies in the United States alone, spawning   competitive tournaments and clubs, from game shops to college campuses across   the country.    

More than 20 characters, pulled from virtually every hit Nintendo game, meet   up to battle in 30 arenas and nine different game modes. Control Donkey   Kong(R) in a face-off with Princess Zelda(TM), or select Mario(TM) in a four-  player showdown against three of your friends. The array of game-play options   will make your head spin.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: GameCube/SSBM Bundle Ships
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 08:30:43 PM »
Too bad it couldn't be a TP bundle  
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 08:39:44 PM »
I feel like they shoulda done this a loooooooooong time ago. Like to combat the Halo/Xbox bundle (they DID do such a thing didn't they?) But hey, better late than never...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:44:35 PM »
Halo was bundled in Europe. They kept it at full price in the US for awhile (2 years?). This deal womps.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 10:12:22 PM »
Yay, 2 years 2 late.  Just in time to make up for Twilight Princess and to coincide with the hit Nintendogs which happens to be on a different system.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 12:30:26 AM »
I know exactly one person who might buy that. And it's not me.

Offline joeposh

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:GameCube/SSBM Bundle Ships
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 09:19:44 AM »
yeah I feel the same way, this might have done some good 2 years ago but now it's rather pointless. If you were going to buy SSBM, you probably already bought a cube and have it by now. Now if Nintendo had decided to do a Resident Evil 4 bundle at this price point a month or two from now, I think it would have caused a sizeable sales spike because it's attracting a different kind of audience to the console. I'd love to be wrong on this though...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 09:28:08 AM »
They did do it two years ago.

You bought a Gamecube for $150 and got your choice of a free game (one of which was SSBM).  Then Nintendo dropped the free game and lowered the price to $100.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 11:57:15 AM »
I like the RE4 idea.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 05:54:31 PM »
But it's a 3rd party game.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 06:56:24 PM »
So were Sega GT and Jet Set Something on that other system.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 07:26:02 PM »
I think there's some rule against bundling M rated games in the US, but I could be wrong.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 08:05:08 PM »
I don't think it's a rule, I think it's just more of common sense... With the majority of stores denying the sale of M-rated games to minors, why would any company want to risk losing a console sale because of a "free" game?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline joeposh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 08:15:58 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I don't think it's a rule, I think it's just more of common sense... With the majority of stores denying the sale of M-rated games to minors, why would any company want to risk losing a console sale because of a "free" game?

That may be true but at the same time I don't think I've ever been to a store that only stocked the bundled version of the cube... In my experience it's always been the current bundle along with the stand alone console.

And as a previous poster indicated Microsoft bundles their system with third party games all the time... it's just something Nintendo has choosen not to do up to this point.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »
Th e only store that ever asked me about my age was Target, just recently with Geist.  The guy asked me for my birthday, discovered, after much thought, that I was too young, and then proceeded to scan the item and print the receipt.

I've never been stopped from buying mature games (all three of them!), so as long as Nintendo offered another, not mature rated bundle along side of the RE4 bundle, I think it'd be a rad idea.  They should have done it earlier, but perhaps it could be done along side the PS2 release, although I don't think it'd have that great an effect....but it'd be better than nothing.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 09:19:25 PM »
Pfft, they bundled RE4 with the Cube here, they even had to remove the bonus disc they threw in because it was unrated. The game itself is rated 18 and ratings are legally binding here. I don't see a reason they couldn't do it in the US, too.

Offline joeposh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 09:29:13 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
Th e only store that ever asked me about my age was Target, just recently with Geist.  The guy asked me for my birthday, discovered, after much thought, that I was too young, and then proceeded to scan the item and print the receipt.

I've never been stopped from buying mature games (all three of them!), so as long as Nintendo offered another, not mature rated bundle along side of the RE4 bundle, I think it'd be a rad idea.  They should have done it earlier, but perhaps it could be done along side the PS2 release, although I don't think it'd have that great an effect....but it'd be better than nothing.

I think they should target it for the holiday season... next year will be too late. Launch it right around halloween since the thrilling/frightening image of the series will be easiest to sell at that time of year and it allows the system to get a head start on the 360's launch. Of course all of this will never happen because it makes far too much sense...