Author Topic: What is Forum Mafia? (FAQ) (How to Play)  (Read 71613 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
What is Forum Mafia? (FAQ) (How to Play)
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:46:39 AM »
All the info you wanted to know about Mafia but were afraid to ask.

What is Mafia?

(This is a basic description taken from Wikipedia)

Mafia, also known as Werewolf, is a party game created by Dmitry Davidoff in 1986 modelling a conflict between an informed minority, the mafia, and an uninformed majority, the innocents. At the start of the game, each player is secretly assigned a role affiliated with one of these teams. The game has two alternating phases: night, during which the mafia may covertly "murder" an innocent, and day, in which surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated or until the mafia outnumbers the innocents.

How does the game work?

Every day, a new thread will be created for all players to communicate with one another to post whatever they want regarding the game and to vote for which ever player they wish to target. Players are allowed to change their votes at any time until the thread is locked for the end of the day. Some players have special roles giving them an ability to do more besides just vote and post. Most of those abilities are used during what is called the nighttime phase when they will be carried out. Once the daily vote is finalized and all nighttime abilities have been decided on and carried out, a new day's thread will be created. The results of the last day will all be post and the game continues on with the surviving players like this until one side achieves a victory.

How long is a day?

The length of the day can vary depending on the discretion of the host. some games will use a traditional 24 hour day length while others use a majority based rule in which days will last either 48 hours or until a majority vote is reached in the day thread. The host may also have to close or open the day threads at unusual times to accommodate for personal life issues or time zone issues. While it is somewhat customary to make a few jokes at the host's expense in the day threads when this happens it is important to understand that hosting a mafia game isn't the easiest thing to do while we live our day to day lives and these steps may be necessary to allow the host to continue the game while accommodating their day to day lives.

How do I vote?

Simply type in BOLD for whom ever you wish to vote against. Example: Vote Khushrenada.

This can be done by typing the letter "b" in brackets and than typing out your vote and than typing "/b" in brackets. So vote Khushrenada will look like this when you type it out:
Code: [Select]
[b]vote Khushrenada[/b]
You may change your vote as much as you like, but any old votes must remain legible.  Simply edit the post, unbold the vote, and make a new post with the new vote. So, your old vote should look something like this:

un-Vote Khushrenada.

How do I submit my night actions?

Night Actions are submitted by private messaging the host of the game. The easiest way to do this is by clicking the little mail icon below their username. The host may also offer other methods to submit your night actions. See the individual rules thread for the game you are playing for details.

How do I set myself as hidden so other players can't see what I'm doing?

If you go to your forum profile, under account settings, deselect "show others your online status" . That will make you appear as hidden to most users although some of the players are forum moderators who might be able to see through that. It means that people can't just monitor the "who's online" tab to see what you're doing which is a thing that has happened in the past.

This post was created in large part with text "borrowed" from Khushrenada's post on the matter back in the Animal Crossing Mafia game we played in 2014.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: What is Forum Mafia? A FAQ.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »
If you have any other questions please post them below so they can be answered. This is meant to be a quick way to for someone to learn how this game works.