Author Topic: GameCube Controller Adapter Announced for Wii U  (Read 9829 times)

Offline Vandomar

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
GameCube Controller Adapter Announced for Wii U
« on: May 29, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »

Get ready for Smash Bros. by breaking out your old GameCube controllers or possibly buy new ones.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37559/gamecube-controller-adapter-announced-for-wii-u

A GameCube Controller Adapter is coming to Wii U to be used with Super Smash Bros. It also appears that Nintendo will release new GameCube controllers with a Smash Bros. logo on them, too. We have reached out to Nintendo for confirmation.

The controller adapter will allow four GameCube controllers to be plugged into a USB-powered device. The adapter, however, will take up both of the front USB ports on the Wii U.

It is unknown if this device will only work with Super Smash Bros., but it seems likely that the addition of this device could open the way for GameCube controller functionality in Virtual Console games.

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
Re: GameCube Controller Adapter Announced for Wii U
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
Brilliant move!
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline KITT 10K

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
I don't have any of my GameCube controllers anymore so this has no affect on me. But it is still cool to have the option to be able to use a GameCube controller if someone wanted to.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

I really want Smash to move on, but hey what can I say? There is nothing wrong with the controller and people love it. I'm glad the option is there. Most importantly though for tourny goers this is the wired controller they were waiting for.

I still have my white, silver Cube controllers which are in fantastic condition and a Wave Bird that is in good condition. I have 2 classic controller pros as well so I am absolutely covered for Smash. I will be getting one of these new Smash controllers for the heck of it though. Hope they give us a Spice Orange. Oh and hopefully they are made more sensible this time around. Remember all the deflated B buttons and crap at GCN launch?

I'm going to force myself to get used to the diamond layout. Luckily the 3DS version comes out first so it's completely mandatory.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:41:16 PM »
"It also appears that Nintendo will release new GameCube controllers with a Smash Bros. logo on them, too."

What?!  Holy ****!  I'll totally buy at least one of these.  Some of my Gamecube controllers are in rough shape and could use a replacement.  I know at least one of them has a loose analog stick that kind of does whatever it wants.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
So....GameCube Virtual Console?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
I really like the Pro Controller, but I feel like this is one of those occasions where I'm going to veto economical thinking and be a reckless spender.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
All I want from E3 is Gamecube Virtual Console!
Oh wait, no that's #2 on my list, #1 is a 2014 release date for X

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
All I want from E3 is Gamecube Virtual Console!
Oh wait, no that's #2 on my list, #1 is a 2014 release date for X
The Walking Simulator will come out I'm sure next year.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »
The walking simulator? I'm lost.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »
Oh, man. Try as they might by introducing the motion contoller and now the gamepad, Nintendo just can't get Smash Bros. players to move on past the GC controller. That's what happens when you make one of the best controllers the market has ever seen.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »
Oh, man. Try as they might by introducing the motion contoller and now the gamepad, Nintendo just can't get Smash Bros. players to move on past the GC controller. That's what happens when you make one of the best controllers the market has ever seen.
I must disagree with you. "One of the best" not to me. To me it's straight up The Best

Offline TheBigK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »
Kick ass, bro. I still have all my GCN controllers. Most comfortable controller ever. Hopefully they'll include GCN functionality with many games going forward.
Nintendo Network ID: TheBigK

Add me!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
I must disagree with you. "One of the best" not to me. To me it's straight up The Best

You know what? I agree with you.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
If the game was designed for the Gamecube controller it was the bee's knees.  If it wasn't, however, it was the drizzling shits.  Try playing the Cube version of Capcom vs. SNK 2.  Ugh.  I imported Hori GB Player controllers just to have something with a decent d-pad.

The tiny d-pad is so terrible that I could never call that controller the best.  It just plain has a huge flaw.  The early prototypes lacked the d-pad and z button and when Nintendo showed it to third parties they asked for those to be added.  Now clearly "z button" means having a trigger like the N64 did and not throwing just some button with "z" on it haphazardly.  Was Nintendo missing the point or just being defiant?  The d-pad was tiny and borderline useless because it was the same d-pad as the GBA, a decision that was made obviously to cut costs by having to only manufacture one d-pad.  The annoying thing is that GBA SP used a different d-pad so Nintendo ended up having to make two d-pads anyway so there was really no longterm benefit to the GC having such a lousy one.

The Gamecube is a great controller with a couple extra features that Nintendo didn't want to include and seemingly intentionally half-assed.  Their prior controllers lacked such flaws and seemed to be both what Nintendo wanted to make and their customers wanted to use.  And that "**** you - WE decide what you want on a controller" design was in retrospect a telling sign of their future direction with the Wii.

I really like the ergonomics of the Cube controller, though.  It felt tailored to my hands and yet everyone I knew said the same thing.  How did they make it fit perfectly in everyone's hands?  Then on the Wii they became obsessed with making us hold an angular boxy remote sideways like an NES controller.  What the hell happened to their priorities between those consoles?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 08:03:52 PM »
I have...nothing to complain about here, except maybe that it's one more addition to the sea of cords that's already my desk. *insert snarky in the quoted replies here*  :P:

Now if Nintendo can just rediscover their "lost" Wavebird mold, everything will be good all around when it comes to GameCube playing on Wii U.  Now how about some GCN Wii U VC news, Nintendo?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »

He's referring to "X", the game where the vast majority of its trailers have been a character walking around and doing very little.  I'm not sure you can still call it that, though, when they released that combat system trailer, Stephen.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 08:46:31 PM »
I wonder if this will work with the non BC-Compatible Wii (& Wii Minis?  Do they have USB ports?)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
I just wonder if they will work on a PC, I hate having to use PS2 style controllers for everything or Xbox 360 style controllers.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
A thought occurs to me.

As far as Smash Bros. goes, this is a pretty big deal.

If Nintendo was willing to let this slip early... what do they have saving for the main event?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
So let's see, you could potentially need a hard drive if you're crazy enough to download this (which you probably would, for load times), a LAN adapter, this boondoggle, and a bunch of toys to play this thing.

The phrase "mongolian clusterf**k" springs to mind.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
So let's see, you could potentially need a hard drive if you're crazy enough to download this (which you probably would, for load times), a LAN adapter, this boondoggle, and a bunch of toys to play this thing.

The phrase "mongolian clusterf**k" springs to mind.

in other words just another year for Nintendo.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 01:09:15 AM »
The adapter they're gonna use on Invitational is the different one:

I have a suspicion it will only work for Smash on Wii U, because otherwise they'd have to rewire a lot of things inside the OS (UI for one).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 02:01:42 AM »
Their prior controllers lacked such flaws and seemed to be both what Nintendo wanted to make and their customers wanted to use.
What? The N64 controller was garbage! Especially that analog stick that only lasted 1-2 years. I got so tired of buying new controller when they quit springing back.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 02:08:56 AM »

He's referring to "X", the game where the vast majority of its trailers have been a character walking around and doing very little.  I'm not sure you can still call it that, though, when they released that combat system trailer, Stephen.
I will admit, when you out it that way, I would probably have felt the same if I hadn't played Xenoblade, but since I have played Xenoblade I know better