Author Topic: I have computer related questions. Can you help?  (Read 148581 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: I have computer related questions. Can you help?
« Reply #550 on: August 24, 2016, 01:53:04 AM »
You and your dang VPNs!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 24, 2016, 02:14:43 AM »
is that what all those are?

I was worried something took over my computer.
still needs to be cleaned, wiped, scrubbed, etc etc.

gonna finish this eset scan (which won't let me clean, but maybe at least identify the problem), then run the mem test over night, then the drive scan in the morning. and if all that doesn't identify a problem I can fix, then clean slate this weekend.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 26, 2016, 11:19:55 PM »
So I switched to computer B last night... I connected all cables from computer A to computer B, and everything ran fine. The only new addition to computer B was Opera developer edition.

I get home from work today, and computer B has crashed, citing that it is over clocking, but Win10 was immediately trying to upgrade from the moment I plugged in the internet.... It tried to boot after several restarts ave said something about a "boot_bug" but I didn't write it down before it attempted to restart again.

Now I'm lucky if the computer makes it to the bios screen. WTF. What do I do now!!!?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:23:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 27, 2016, 02:27:43 AM »
UPDATE:

I got Computer A up on a fresh Win10 install right now.

hesitant on if Opera was part of the other computers problem, but I didn't want to reset it as Win10 was going to update whether I wanted it to or not. It reset while I was at work.... and now that computer (B) is dead. So I truly want to believe it was Win10 and not Opera.

Guess I better go set up a Restore point right now so I have something to go back too....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 27, 2016, 03:48:42 AM »
Is computer B overclocked?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 27, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »
No. I don't even really know how to overclock, and never mess with the start up bios stuff.

All I know is that at some point while I was at work, Windows 10 restarted, which was what I was avoiding until I could fix Computer A.
it's 2 options would have been "Update and Shutdown", or "Update and restart".

so I imagine it updated and couldn't restart while i at work. Would a windows update **** my computer up like that!?
although I do have to admit that the version of Opera I had on Computer B for all of a single night, started acting like Chrome on Computer A before that crashed, where I would click a link, and it would redirect me to some other site that would never load.
So I have no idea if that computer somehow got infected too, or if Opera was factor in Computer A getting worse (even though it was having those problems long before I put Opera on it)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 28, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
Whoa, I'm on fresh install. Only putting programs back on this computer as I need/use them.

But I just went to a website I've frequented all the time, and when I went to click on a link, an ad redirect pops up in a new tab. It's a blue screen with a phone number, and a man starts talking saying "You computer is infected with a virus and your harddrive will be deleted if you close this window., blah blah blah" on repeat over and over again.

So when I try to close the window, another small window pops up that say [stay] or [leave] and I try not to click either as I'm sure it's some sort of trick... even though I know that a feature of Chrome. I keep trying to close the entire tab, but now the tab keeps replicating itself, and there are 3 of these guys talking now as if they were doing a new version of Row Your Boat....
so I had to start the task manager and shut down all of Chrome to get it to go away.
I restarted Chrome, checked my AdBlock, something was disabled/failed to update (i corrected that)
and am now running a full scan with Win Defender.

Guess I better get Malwayebytes or Super Anti-spyware back on my computer asap too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 28, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »
Are you activating a virus when you restore your data files?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 28, 2016, 08:56:09 PM »
Chrome auto re-populates itself with my extension when I log into it, but it's all extensions I've had forever a day.

the only programs I've re-installed are the same ones I've had on my computer for years. and they've all been scanned for virus dozens of times over.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #559 on: August 29, 2016, 12:07:08 AM »
Get Mal-ware bytes best anti-virus software out their it's a free 30-day trail but you can still use it's scan feature after it's expired, it's what I sue to clean my torrents all the time. Cough I don't try out things first through torrenting and then buy them, what are you talking about?
Made you look ****.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 10, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
So...maybe not directly computer related.  I bought a house and am getting cable/internet installed tomorrow.  That said, just realized with separate rooms and larger spaces, that my modem is going to be a room away from my entertainment center, and opposite ends of the rooms. 

Typically I have had my consoles hard-wired to the internet, and I'd like to avoid having to do wi-fi for the ones which I play a decent amount online.  Does anyone here have any good online resources or personal anecdotes for wiring ethernet cords through a house without causing a bunch of damage?  Basement is unfinished, so it'll be fairly easy to route stuff through the basement.  Thinking I might just need a handful of fairly long ethernet cords to snake between the holes I'll have for both the coaxial cables required for the cable box and modem to be connected to in separate rooms, but I wonder about the mess of cords I might make in doing so.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: October 10, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
Residential is a pain if the walls are already built.

If you basement ceiling is high enough, get some of this: http://www.trenchltd.com/obo-magic-basket-tray/obo-magic-basket-tray/ I like the baskets better than conduit.
Drill a hole and Snake your Cat6 up through the interior walls to a wall box.
fake edit: This guy is doing something similar: http://www.ruffhi.com/Computer-007.html

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 24, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
This latest Windows update, that I repeatedly have tried to stop, as I have for every previous Win10 update... including but not limited to the upgrade to Win10 itself, keeps freezing my damn computer when it fails to install.

I've tried to block all updates with the delay button, but something happened, and now I can no longer select the "delay updates" button, so the update just continually fails to install, and my computer freezes... beyond frustrating, and I do not want to jump through hoops to fix this when my computer was already running good enough before MS had to force push all their updates onto my damn computer in the first place.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 24, 2018, 10:25:07 PM »
It's the meltdown/spector update. It's fucked a lot of people up and down the industry. They rushed the initial patch and are now rushing out hotfixes which are making their own messes.

One way you might be able to bypass your problem would be a reinstall from a "Fresh" ISO direct from MS. They aren't as good as Apples which always contains the most up to date version of everything but if it does include the current patches it will allow you to get out of the broken patch loop you are in.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 24, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »
Guess who has to reapply all the BIOS updates he did over the last two weeks at work...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 25, 2018, 03:16:24 AM »
I went to the MS site and downloaded the update and manually installed it.
once I did the manual download and installed, it cancelled the Win10 automated one, and I was able to restart at my leisure. Been working fine ever since.

There should be a class-action against MS for all this force update BS. I didn't even upgrade my computer to Win10 in the first place..... Windows waited till a day when I left it on, and could cancel the upgrade because I wasn't home. When I came home **SURPRISE** you now are on Win10!!!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 25, 2018, 05:11:56 PM »
I seem to recall a reversion option for windows though. On our old computer half the stuff wasn't working and I rolled it back to 8.1 through the settings. Or did they remove that option?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 25, 2018, 08:20:01 PM »
I seem to recall a reversion option for windows though. On our old computer half the stuff wasn't working and I rolled it back to 8.1 through the settings. Or did they remove that option?

It expired after 30 days I think. Something I was willing to live without weren't there, so I just rode it out. By the time I was fed up and wanted to switch back, it was too late. So I just got used to it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 25, 2018, 10:30:50 PM »
I mean in their defense, it's a free update and aside from the Meltown/Spectre and other security patches, Windows 7 is dead.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 25, 2018, 11:31:26 PM »
As much as I wanted to stay on Windows 7 the writing was on the wall and made the switch with an older code using a loophole saving me $200+ NZD. Windows update 7 included has always been a **** show so I am never surprised. It is "better" on 10 but that is likely because they are hiding errors.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?