Author Topic: Nintendo France Rep: Smash Bros. Wii U Uses NFC  (Read 8219 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo France Rep: Smash Bros. Wii U Uses NFC
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
This didn't affect me.  Now it's infecting games I do like so it does affect me.
Nope! Stop. I'm pushing the shenanigans broom on this nonsense. Super Smash Bros. is currently the only game announced that is using the NFC figures and you, sir, have already admitted to be not interested in the new games.
Even if I had a Wii U I probably wouldn't get Mario Kart 8 and it actually isn't specifically because of anything wrong with that game specifically.  I'm bored of Mario Kart.  You can only do so much with a racing game and the formula is just played out.  I have a Wii and 3DS but don't own those Mario Karts either.  I also realize that after Brawl I'm SSB'ed out.  I don't see myself really being that interested in the new games. Multiplayer franchises get boring quicker.
This, by your own admission, does not affect you at all. Therefore...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
This didn't affect me.  Now it's infecting games I do like so it does affect me.
Nope! Stop. I'm pushing the shenanigans broom on this nonsense. Super Smash Bros. is currently the only game announced that is using the NFC figures and you, sir, have already admitted to be not interested in the new games.
Even if I had a Wii U I probably wouldn't get Mario Kart 8 and it actually isn't specifically because of anything wrong with that game specifically.  I'm bored of Mario Kart.  You can only do so much with a racing game and the formula is just played out.  I have a Wii and 3DS but don't own those Mario Karts either.  I also realize that after Brawl I'm SSB'ed out.  I don't see myself really being that interested in the new games. Multiplayer franchises get boring quicker.
This, by your own admission, does not affect you at all. Therefore...

It's Nintendo using the concept that affects me.  It's pretty damn naive to assume that SSB will be the only game that uses this.  If it takes off it there it will work it's way into their other games.  Pokemon is probably a lock to have it.  In comparison, Activision interests me so little that I could end up never buying any game of their's again.  They pretty much never have anything on my radar.

Anyway "hasn't been confirmed" probably means "our stupid rep ran his gums before he was supposed to."  Since the Wii U supports NFC you know Nintendo plans on using it and SSB seems as likely as a title for it as any.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »
Besides the fact that you continually grouse about Nintendo not making games you want, you said the NFC figures are affecting games you like which it is not, at least not currently since the only game that's been named is Super Smash Bros., games you admitted do not interest you. Right now, at this very moment, the NFC figures do not affect you. With no other titles announced, there is nothing that even can affect you. Therefore, you're complaining about things that aren't even real yet. Where do you draw the line? What is and what may be in the future are two entirely different things so you need to slow your roll, sir.

And I didn't say or assume Super Smash Bros. will be the only game to use the NFC figures. In fact, I've already addressed what these figures could mean for multiple games a couple times in this thread. Claiming that the concept itself affects you is ridiculous when none of us have the slightest clue what Nintendo is planning.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
If you read between the lines on both these arguments the message is "I don't want to participate in this nonsense."  The whole concept seems entirely to the benefit of Nintendo.  Skylanders is a scam.

I don't think that's what was said at all.

That's like a couple trying to decide what they want for dinner.

Husband: "I don't want Italian."
Wife: "I don't want Chinese."
Ian: "Well, obviously, this means no one anywhere wants to eat and opening a restaurant anywhere is a bad idea."
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »
Therefore, you're complaining about things that aren't even real yet. Where do you draw the line? What is and what may be in the future are two entirely different things so you need to slow your roll, sir.

I think you are being a little hypersensitive to Nintendo criticism.  Nothing has been announced with how they will use this yet, this entire thread is speculation.  Should the thread just announce that SSB will have it and then they lock the thread until the game is out.  Then we can talk about it? 

I don't think that's what was said at all.

That's like a couple trying to decide what they want for dinner.

Husband: "I don't want Italian."
Wife: "I don't want Chinese."
Ian: "Well, obviously, this means no one anywhere wants to eat and opening a restaurant anywhere is a bad idea."

I'm not sure I agree with your logic either.  I see this more as the following:

Husband: "I don't want to go out to eat because it costs too much."
Wife: "Well if I'm paying to go out to eat, I want to go to a real restaurant and get the service, not fast food."
Reality: "This is going to increase the costs and make gamers pay for things that either used to be included as unlockables in the game or could be included through cheaper DLC."

This will definitely increase the cost of getting the full gaming experience out of a game.  The question is whether they will make the included content worth it or not.  Ian doubts it will be worth it based on comparable products in the market.  We'll see I guess.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
We're all thinking trophies, but Nintendo may give us a figurine for free as a means to transfer your custom-move characters.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »
I think you are being a little hypersensitive to Nintendo criticism.  Nothing has been announced with how they will use this yet, this entire thread is speculation.  Should the thread just announce that SSB will have it and then they lock the thread until the game is out.  Then we can talk about it?
Yeah, sure, let's go wth that extreme. Exactly.

There are ways to talk about this without claiming this has a negative affect on games that have and have not been announced yet. This has nothing to do with Nintendo criticism. Rather, people have graduated from complaining about everything to inventing things to complain about. Any criticism of this type is ridiculous. That's like if I start complaining about what my cat might **** up tomorrow. Who does that? Why? Can we step back just a little and be patient before we break out the pitchforks and torches? E3 is in less than two weeks. Would these NFC figures really be such a burden if one can safely ignore them entirely?

I'm cautious yet intrigued by the concept. This could be used to unlock cool bonuses outside of what I buy a certain game for. I wonder how many people bought Sonic and Knucles specifically to play as Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3, rather than, you know, Sonic and Knuckles. It isn't a 1:1 comparison, but I think bonuses like that could be cool. It could be that or something as severe as "Lulz, we locked the ending and true final boss behind this Ganon figure. $15 plz." Since we don't know, why complain about it? I'm all for trashing this if it sucks, BUT at least give it a chance then pass judgement once we know what's what. That, to me, makes way more sense than getting a head start on complaining about things that aren't even a thing yet.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »
We're all thinking trophies, but Nintendo may give us a figurine for free as a means to transfer your custom-move characters.
Which again the wii remote can do with it's 16kb storage.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
I wonder how many people bought Sonic and Knucles specifically to play as Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3, rather than, you know, Sonic and Knuckles. It isn't a 1:1 comparison, but I think bonuses like that could be cool.

This.

Take a look at Skylanders.  They could have made the original game, only used the Spyro character and released it as the next Spyro platformer and it probably would have gotten reviews similar to just about any of the previous Spyro games.

Instead, you buy the game and three characters.  Not too unusual for a 3D platformer to allow you to play with three totally different characters out of the box - but nice.  Look at Mario 3D World... sure, you can play with four different characters - but they're all practically the same.  Spyro's Adventure?  All three included character have completely unique movesets and upgrades.  More than enough out of almost any platformer.

Then... the extra figures.  $10 is a little pricey for a character - but a totally new character with a completely new moveset and a completely new set of upgrades.

If Smash Bros. on-disc offers a complete and full experience equal to or better than the previous outings, then that's spectacular.  If the figures unlock something totally awesome and unique *in addition* to what's already in the complete game, I'm great with that!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
@Adrock, that's a valid understanding.  Your initial post to Ian came off as, "Your opinion is different than mine!  Rage and Find STFU video because I don't like opposite opinions."  Your re-post is, I believe, a more adequate response which addresses your desire for some optimism. 

I don't like my own analogy so I'm going to try again. 
You go to a steakhouse (Nintendo) and get a $60 steak (Dinner).  The steakhouse is raising the price to $100 and including a few service extras like secluded seating, live music, romantic view etc.

Husband: "I like my $60 steak, I don't want to pay $100 ($60 game, 2x$20 Figurine) for the same steak, especially when I can get a competitors steak for $20 (Rayman Legends). 
Wife: "Some of those options sound nice and could be romantic.  Let's give it a chance, it could be worth $100.
Reality: Neither wants to pay $100 for the steak, but if the execution is good, they could still enjoy getting the $100 steak.  So it is all about execution for Nintendo. 

I actually think this would have been a much better idea to pull off with the Wii when they had a huge userbase.  Then if the figurines would work on Wii U games, it may give people a reason to get a Wii U because they have all these figurines laying around and would like to get more value out of them.  As it is, I don't think this will convince people to buy Wii Us. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 11:00:47 PM »
If Smash Bros. on-disc offers a complete and full experience equal to or better than the previous outings, then that's spectacular.  If the figures unlock something totally awesome and unique *in addition* to what's already in the complete game, I'm great with that!
I fully expect the new Super Smash Bros. games to include more stages and characters than we've seen previously in the series and all on-disc. We've discussed things like DLC and Season Passes before which would be my preferred method for anything beyond the initial package since I don't know what I'd do with all of those figures. If this comes to pass, I'd like to see DLC and the NFC figures unlock the same stuff. For the people who don't want the figures, they have access to that content. The people who buy the figures are paying more and will probably continually buy figures in the future so I think it's pretty fair that they get to use them in multiple games to unlock bonuses.
@Adrock, that's a valid understanding.  Your initial post to Ian came off as, "Your opinion is different than mine!  Rage and Find STFU video because I don't like opposite opinions."  Your re-post is, I believe, a more adequate response which addresses your desire for some optimism.
Oh, please. I posted a George Carlin clip. Would you lighten up? I wasn't disagreeing with his opinion so much as I was pointing out that it's based on faulty reasoning. He claims the figures are affecting games he likes when the only game that was announced (which Nintendo apparently un-announced) was one he already admitted to not being interested in. Come on. That's classic Ian. While he's certainly entitled to have that opinion, I reserve the right to tell him how ridiculous that is.

Far more importantly, I'm calling for neutrality rather than either pessimism or optimism. I understand and acknowledge the implications these figures may have on future Nintendo games, but let's cool our jets. We're going to find out really soon whether to praise or condemn them.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »
I'd like to see DLC and the NFC figures unlock the same stuff. For the people who don't want the figures, they have access to that content.

I would be okay with this.  Like, DLC for $5 or DLC & Figure for $10.