Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 3DS Game Hinted in Iwata Asks  (Read 11194 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Super Mario Bros. 3DS Game Hinted in Iwata Asks
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »

Miyamoto mentions that he is working on a new Mario game for the system.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25001

The latest Iwata Asks column gathers the original Super Mario Bros. development team: Shigeru Miyamoto, Koji Kondo, Takashi Tezuka, and Toshihiko Nakago to talk about the development of the original Super Mario Bros. game in honor of the series' 25th anniversary. Near the end of the column, Miyamoto mentions that his team is working on a new Super Mario Bros. game for the 3DS as a means of adopting new technology for the Super Mario Bros. tradition.

The comments go as follow:

Miyamoto: Yes. So, in the interests of adopting new technology for the Super Mario Bros. tradition, I am now making a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Nintendo 3DS system.

Iwata: The next stage for the Super Mario Bros. Preservation Society’s activities is the Nintendo 3DS.

Miyamoto: Yes. (laughs) I want to show everyone as soon as possible what the new Super Mario Bros. will be like on the Nintendo 3DS.

Whether the game will play similarly to the recent New Super Mario Bros. side-scrolling games on the DS and Wii or will be a 3D platforming game like Super Mario Galaxy wasn't discussed.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ryan Cannon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 3DS Game Hinted in Iwata Asks
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
It'll probably be 2D side scrolling, being that they are calling it "New Super Mario Bros."
Normal people don't affect me...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
New Super Mario Bros. 3DS

p.s. That is also much more than a hint. I would even go as far as to call it an announcement.
edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if this is the big Holiday 2011 3DS Title
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:43:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »
It'll probably be 2D side scrolling, being that they are calling it "New Super Mario Bros."
Subtle, but he called it "a new Super Mario Bros. game" not "New Super Mario Bros."
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
Subtle, but he called it "a new Super Mario Bros. game" not "New Super Mario Bros."

True, the "new" wasn't capitalized... But keep in mind this is a transcript, so how it was typed out was merely just the transcriber's personal interpretation. There's no way to know for sure what Miyamoto had in mind when he said it based on the quote. Though I personally think the fact that he said "Super Mario Bros." and not just "Super Mario", makes it almost certain that he was implying a 2D side-scroller.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
I think it's worth noting that they keep saying "Super Mario Bros."  Not "Mario" or "Super Mario" but specifically "Super Mario Bros."  I figure it's tied with NSMB in some way because of that.  No one really calls Mario games by that kind of naming convention anymore.  Nintendo has been all retro crazy the last few years (and like NES-level retro crazy what with their love of NES-style controls in Wii games).  I not only expect this to be more in the NSMB vein but I wouldn't be surprised if this was specifically related to the first Super Mario Bros. game.

I wish Nintendo would get on a SNES fix for a change.  The 16-bit era had many of the same types of games as the 8-bit era but with more refinement.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
i would love to see them use Super Mario 2 as the template. I think subcon is a rich universe that hasn't been tapped

Offline Deezer

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • TheMushroomKingdom.net
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »
But keep in mind this is a transcript, so how it was typed out was merely just the transcriber's personal interpretation. There's no way to know for sure what Miyamoto had in mind when he said it based on the quote.
Does anyone have a link to the Japanese interview? I was looking for NCL's Super Mario 25th site earlier but couldn't find it. (Used to be at http://www.nintendo.co.jp/mario25th/index.html)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
i would love to see them use Super Mario 2 as the template. I think subcon is a rich universe that hasn't been tapped
Super Mario Bros. 2: A Game by Christopher Nolan

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the Japanese interview? I was looking for NCL's Super Mario 25th site earlier but couldn't find it. (Used to be at http://www.nintendo.co.jp/mario25th/index.html)
Sure, it's http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/interview/mario25th/vol5/index.html (linked from the Iwata Asks section on the corporate page).
I think it's worth noting that they keep saying "Super Mario Bros."  Not "Mario" or "Super Mario" but specifically "Super Mario Bros."
But keep in mind this is a transcript, so how it was typed out was merely just the transcriber's personal interpretation. There's no way to know for sure what Miyamoto had in mind when he said it based on the quote. Though I personally think the fact that he said "Super Mario Bros." and not just "Super Mario", makes it almost certain that he was implying a 2D side-scroller.
In Japanese, he says "new 'Mario'" - "Super" is only mentioned the first time and "Bros." is not part of the text at all, confirming my assertion. These things are tightly controlled by Nintendo, so whatever they meant is what gets posted (in Japanese).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:10:14 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
I think the first Mario game on 3DS will feature 3D gameplay, because confining it to a 2D plane really limits what you can do to show off the stereoscopic 3D capabilities of the hardware. Not saying you couldn't still do some cool things that way, but you'd have a lot more options with a 3D world
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
It would be cool if they took some of the concepts from Super Paper Mario, but made a full-out platformer.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
It would be cool if they took some of the concepts from Super Paper Mario, but made a full-out platformer.

This is a fantastic idea.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »
I think the "NEW" tech he wants to adapt would be more in the vein of the motion control and the spot/street pass stuff and dare I say trade user created levels/enemies/Mii's in the game via those methods. I'm feeling side scrooling as well WITH a little of the "Legend of the Seven Stars" 3D action.....edit: dough I don't type fast enough!!

But of course you loose the sweet "3D" spot with all that movin' around and who wants to play Mario with the thing sittin on a desk or table oh and since the 3D is not required.....blah blah blah.........
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
Since the 2D side-scrolling Mario games sell much better than 3D Mario games, it seems safe to say if there's a Mario game planned for 3DS, it won't feature 3D gameplay.

Though as was mentioned, it would be nice if they took some of the gameplay mechanics from Super Paper Mario. That game was so plain and didn't use the flip mechanic for anything worthwhile, so I'd like to see it revisited, there is a lot of potential there.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
This really isn't any surprise, consideringly how stupidly well the Wii and DS New Super Mario Bros. games have sold.  Given Nintendo's love of silly game names, I have a feeling it'll be called "NEW New Super Mario Bros." or "New Super Mario Bros. 3D".
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
Since the 2D side-scrolling Mario games sell much better than 3D Mario games, it seems safe to say if there's a Mario game planned for 3DS, it won't feature 3D gameplay.

Though as was mentioned, it would be nice if they took some of the gameplay mechanics from Super Paper Mario. That game was so plain and didn't use the flip mechanic for anything worthwhile, so I'd like to see it revisited, there is a lot of potential there.

I don't have a link for this at the moment, but Miyamoto has already said they intend to do both 2D and 3D Mario on the 3DS, so there will definitely be 3D Mario; the question is which one will they start with. 3D Mario seems to be more likely to sell well when it doesn't have to compete with a 2D Mario, and like I said, it offers more opportunities to show off the hardware, which is more useful early in the system's life than later on. 3D Mario is also a novel concept on a handheld; there has never been a 3D Mario native to a handheld, and thus such a game would be a fresher concept than yet another New Super Mario Bros. In my opinion, there are more reasons to start with the 3D game and then move on to the 2D one than the other way around.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
What evidence is there that 3D Mario sells worse if it follows a 2D Mario game? Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out after New Super Mario Brothers Wii but it still sold just fine. I also think they'll start with a 2D game because they're typically cheaper and faster to create.

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
MegaByte is exactly right about the translation, but I'd thought I'd point out one more thing:
In Japan New Super Mario Bros is called exactly that..New Super Mario Bros (just say it with Japanese Katakana-style English)

So when Miyamoto said "new Mario" he meant new, because the word for new (ATARASHII) in Japanese would never be confused for anything else.

Of course this all gets confusing when it's translated to English where "a New Mario" and "a new Mario" can easily be misunderstood, but in Japanese it's clear.... :D

Also, my 2 cents...I want a Super Mario Galaxy 3D. Imagine the spin move being on a button!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »

I think that's a great idea.  I'm not even a big fan of SMB 2 but it would just be a breath of fresh air.  Same with Zelda II.  Here is a template you guys have not used in over 20 years and it becomes harder and harder to make new sequels stand out.  It just seems like a no-brainer to give those templates a go.

I've also thought of the idea of a Mario game that combines both designs.  So some enemies get crushed when you jump on them but some are unaffected and let you walk on top so you can throw them.  Why not have a game that plays like traditional Mario but also allows the throwing mechanics from Super Mario 2?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
They did have that kind of stuff in the Super Mario Advance 4 e-levels, but that was a really limited release, and it's still ripe for exploration.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline circasurviver

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »
Also, my 2 cents...I want a Super Mario Galaxy 3D. Imagine the spin move being on a button!/quote]

you'll have to shake the 3DS
Kelso: 0001-3810-6499
Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
  They did have that kind of stuff in the Super Mario Advance 4 e-levels, but that was a really limited release, and it's still ripe for exploration.

I wish Nintendo would re-release those levels together as a WiiWare title or something.  These were the first new 2D Mario levels in years and I can't think of a more annoying and inconvenient way to have released them to their fans.  So to obtain these levels I had to buy Super Mario Bros. 3, which I already own, and have an e-Reader and access to TWO GBAs and I have to buy these packs of cards and to truly get all the cards I would have to have bought the game at Wal-Mart which I don't think was common knowledge until AFTER the game had been released so I could very well have already bought it somewhere else and then to top it off Nintendo discontinues the e-Reader very shortly afterwards giving me this small period of time to accomplish all this.  WHAT THE ****?!!

A Super Mario Bros 3 e-Reader collection for WiiWare or DSiWare would be such a must-buy.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
Capcom integrated e-Reader cards into Mega Man Zero Collection, so there is precedent.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
I'd just like to point out that I checked out the interview myself after it was linked.
While the interview does mention a "new Super Mario" on 3DS, it's not specifically mentioned with "Bros" at all, and the "new" itself, were it a "New Super Mario Bros" would have been listed as the title and put in English using katakana - "Nyuu" as is listed in plain English on the Japanese box art for both New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros Wii.
Instead, they use the Japanese adjective for "new", as a "new Super Mario game". The non-capitalized new in the translation was correct.

So, "transcriber's interpretation" be buggered. Just the fact that there's gonna be a new Mario game is enough info, and we knew this was gonna happen anyway.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent