Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572325 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #4800 on: November 08, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »
Sigh,
This is a "themed" attractions = hense why they went with multiple IP's instead of just using Mario for everything.
Two, Nintendoland is aimed for a tech demo for the casual gamer, where Fzero is more of an hardcore cult game.  Making the F-zero theme mini-game easier means more people are going be able to enjoy it. 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: November 08, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »
Making the...game easier means more people are going be able to enjoy it. 

Oh jeez. You shouldn't have said that.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: November 08, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
Sigh,
This is a "themed" attractions = hense why they went with multiple IP's instead of just using Mario for everything.
Two, Nintendoland is aimed for a tech demo for the casual gamer, where Fzero is more of an hardcore cult game.  Making the F-zero theme mini-game easier means more people are going be able to enjoy it.

Someone actually using logic?

He's a witch, burn him!!!!
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: November 08, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
Honestly, I wish Nintendo treated Bowser like much more of a threat in the main games.  You just can't take him seriously as a villain anymore (in the side games he's treated as a total joke, and in the main games he goes down extremely easily), and at least the 3D Mario games still seem to think you should.  I think the last time I thought Nintendo actually had a villain as a credible threat in one of their Mario games was probably the final boss of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: November 08, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »
The final battles in Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. Wii were pretty intense.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: November 08, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
Leave the real villains to Metroid. Let the villains that I can murder by butt stomping them to death stay in Mario.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
Bowser isn't supposed to be taken seriously as a villain. The entire series is not to be taken seriously.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: November 08, 2012, 11:24:55 PM »
Geez people. Leave Bowser alone. He's fine.

And he's been comedic since at least the Valiant Mario Comics in the early 90's. Did you know that Koopa means thing of beauty in Lizard?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: November 08, 2012, 11:32:15 PM »
Bowser isn't supposed to be taken seriously as a villain. The entire series is not to be taken seriously.

Thank you, gamers are too obsessed with wanting ALL games to be this very specific definition of "epic" that they fail to have fun - just trick themselves into thinking their having it because of "cool cutscenes" and "great voice acting" and "epic stories". Bull ****, not every game has to fit into this. Mario being the prime example.

The sole point for Mario games is to be fun, whether it's an original style throwback like the NSMB series of games or the 3D platforming series that have been evolution's of Mario 64.

The only reason those games have a story is because is because they're no longer side-scrolling and a story is a way to tell the player "this is your goal". I don't remember there being any story in NSMBW but anyone from age 5 to 105 can pick up the controller and realize "I can't go left, so I must have to go to the right" at the start of any given level. Whereas in something like Mario Sunshine or Galaxy (which is a GREAT game and how dare you not play it!) have open worlds and the story is basically telling you "hey, do this so you can go and do that eventually" Take that away and you're still having fun, aren't you?

If you're playing Mario Galaxy because you really felt the universe was going to be destroyed and you were it's last hope, you're doing it wrong.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U < 8.95 more days
« Reply #4809 on: November 09, 2012, 02:06:25 AM »
it would be great if Bowser did something really screwed up in a future Mario game. They ned to introduce a character...just to kill them off. Maybe torture peach with some bloopers.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: November 09, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »

Thank you, gamers are too obsessed with wanting ALL games to be this very specific definition of "epic" that they fail to have fun - just trick themselves into thinking their having it because of "cool cutscenes" and "great voice acting" and "epic stories". Bull ****, not every game has to fit into this. Mario being the prime example.

The sole point for Mario games is to be fun, whether it's an original style throwback like the NSMB series of games or the 3D platforming series that have been evolution's of Mario 64.

The only reason those games have a story is because is because they're no longer side-scrolling and a story is a way to tell the player "this is your goal". I don't remember there being any story in NSMBW but anyone from age 5 to 105 can pick up the controller and realize "I can't go left, so I must have to go to the right" at the start of any given level. Whereas in something like Mario Sunshine or Galaxy (which is a GREAT game and how dare you not play it!) have open worlds and the story is basically telling you "hey, do this so you can go and do that eventually" Take that away and you're still having fun, aren't you?

If you're playing Mario Galaxy because you really felt the universe was going to be destroyed and you were it's last hope, you're doing it wrong.

Who said anything about Epic, and pointing out how great the New Super Mario games is pointless I already said I DO enjoy those, just not the console ones. It has nothing to do with being epic it has everything to do with when I was a kid I used to play nothing but Super Mario Bros. games, I was one who read the instruction manuals where you GOT the story from, I watched the cartoons and I really liked them, when I was a kid. From Mario 64 on they just decided King Koopa doesn't need koopas anymore. For me that is a minor gripe so don't take it the wrong way, the MAJOR gripe is playing a game supposedly set in the same damn Mushroom Kingdom and not finding a SINGLE element that looks or feels right. Mario World was set in an entirely new undiscovered part of the world and yet it did not feel like visiting an alien planet the way Mario Sunshine did.

And saying that the games are just about being fun is silly, the console games were NOT fun to me. I had fun with Mario 64 but it really started to lose me towards the end. With Sunshine I felt like it was just not a Mario game and I hated the water gun aspect entirely. There was very little running and jumping in that game. And don't give me any of that I didn't play it long enough, if Mario Bros. 3 started out like Metroid and turned into Mario latter people would be pissed, Mario has a distinct feel I honestly don't get those people who fail to see that. Yes the games are supposed to be fun but have you ever wondered why if the 3D games are so great why they keep making hot selling 2D ones also? It's not like going 3D means they have to abandon everything that came first look at the Paper Mario games, they keep plenty of Mushroom Kingdom stuff in those, its just Sunshine and what I saw of Galaxies looked like an entirely unrelated universe. Even Mario RPG with all it's new stuff still felt like a traditional Mario to me.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: November 09, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
Sorry to derail the topic at hand but I've got myself a situation now.  In preparing for the coming arrival of the WiiU launch, I've been thinking of how I'll be setting it up when I get it and something just hit me.  Since there is no optical out on the WiiU and my receiver doesn't have an HDMI port (its old, big whoop, want to fight about it lol) how will I get my surround sound fix?

From what I've read, its HDMI or bust to get surround sound.  My only option at the moment is to hook up the WiiU to my HDTV through the HDMI cable and then the TV to my receiver through an optical audio cable.  Everything I have read though states that most TVs wont pass the HDMI audio signal through to the optical, and even if it does, it'll just downgrade it to stereo.  F me hard man.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do outside of buying a whole new receiver (I'll be broke due to the WiiU). 

My current TV is a Samsung 40 HDTV model number LN-40A650 and the receiver is a Pioneer SX-315

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: November 09, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »
Sorry to derail the topic at hand but I've got myself a situation now.  In preparing for the coming arrival of the WiiU launch, I've been thinking of how I'll be setting it up when I get it and something just hit me.  Since there is no optical out on the WiiU and my receiver doesn't have an HDMI port (its old, big whoop, want to fight about it lol) how will I get my surround sound fix?

From what I've read, its HDMI or bust to get surround sound.  My only option at the moment is to hook up the WiiU to my HDTV through the HDMI cable and then the TV to my receiver through an optical audio cable.  Everything I have read though states that most TVs wont pass the HDMI audio signal through to the optical, and even if it does, it'll just downgrade it to stereo.  F me hard man.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do outside of buying a whole new receiver (I'll be broke due to the WiiU). 

My current TV is a Samsung 40 HDTV model number LN-40A650 and the receiver is a Pioneer SX-315
At minimum if you hook your Wii U to the receiver directly you should be able to at least get Pro Logic 2 if their support it.

You could try something like this.  Though the cost would pretty much be a new receiver that can take HDMI Audio.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:39:53 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
At minimum if you hook your Wii U to the receiver directly you should be able to at least get Pro Logic 2 if their support it.

I am in a similar situation to Mannypon and I'll be fine with Pro Logic 2 in the short term. How do I do this? What cables do I use? Will I still get HD picture?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »

I am in a similar situation to Mannypon and I'll be fine with Pro Logic 2 in the short term. How do I do this? What cables do I use? Will I still get HD picture?
The same cables as your Wii.  You'll hook the HDMI to your receiver or TV and the Wii style cable to your Receiver or TV for the same input.  Hopefully the Wii U will let you say to just put it out of those ports (might just put it out of all them by default.)  Tell your receiver or TV that the source of the sound this time is not HDMI but the actual audio ports.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4815 on: November 09, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
I didn't mean to take the thread off topic.

I might be able to get me a WiiU after all but not until after the first of the year, and only if I don't buy me a Windows 8 Tablet.

Right now I am mostly interested in New Super Mario Bros. U, I haven't read up on any other games yet so I have some reading to do.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: November 10, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: November 10, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
That's been there since E3. They also had the Wii U at $600 AUD for ages. Great that you can preorder a game that might not even exist yet.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U < 7 days 2 hours
« Reply #4818 on: November 11, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
So - what's the latest on the Wii U supporting 3D games?

I didn't have a 3D TV and, to be honest, I don't really care *that* much... but now that I have a 3D TV, I'm curious about it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MrPhishfood

• Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: November 11, 2012, 05:10:46 AM »
Nintendo says its capable because it has the latest HDMI standard. They did not say whether Nintendo first party games will be making use of it but third party developers can if they so choose.

Assassins Creed 3 has 3D mode on the PS3 version. I will expect the Wii U version has the same thing.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: November 11, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »
I read somewhere that the Gamepad is capable of 3D if you have the glasses.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: November 11, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
So, I guess Kmart will only be getting the 8GB Wii U, so I'm SOL on a Deluxe Model. I guess if you wanted a 8GB version, you could always wait in line there.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: November 11, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
WII U Chat confirmed to be only 1 on 1 chat with "friends".  No party chat :(.  Headsets are supported through the USB ports.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U < 4 days 19 hours
« Reply #4823 on: November 13, 2012, 02:42:18 PM »
WII U Chat confirmed to be only 1 on 1 chat with "friends".  No party chat :(.  Headsets are supported through the USB ports.

Grrr, just too restricted (though I hardly have used it on the PS3 so I really have no right to complain).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U < 4 days 19 hours
« Reply #4824 on: November 13, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
It's better than the implementation on the PS3. On the PS3 I'm pretty sure you have to be in a game to voice chat.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent