Author Topic: Mafia LVIX: Jurassic Park. The End  (Read 10774 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LVIX: Jurassic Park. The End
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
Guys, what if oblivion voted thatguy instead of me...
Just imagine what kind of game it would be.

Don't be utterly annoying and maybe it won't happen again.
no i'm being serious, if oblivion had voted thatguy he would have died instead of me, thus removing the mafia from the game, but frankly i would not have let a tie happen under any circumstance so perm may have been able to get out some stored hits. Oblivion you may have made the losing vote tbh...

even if perm killed me i think there's a good chance silenced would have been able to rally a few people against him.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 07:53:43 PM »
Ol' Blue Vion?

At least it's better than 'Oblivious'.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
I really think the "day" should go until we have enough votes. Having the day how it is doesn't allow like half the people to actually play.

The reason the hours for voting are what they are is because in the past, that was the best time to give everyone a chance to play or sway the vote. We've had a few people from Australia play and so for them, those late hours are early morning hours. During most of the day, they are asleep so they either get to participate in the early morning hours or late evening hours of the North American time zone. The only people we haven't been able to best accommodate are Europeans. Plugabugz would play but he'd be done by about 6-7pm EST as it was late at night for him then. Since there have been relatively few European players, we've just sort of accepted that this is the best way to work it. This game has worldwide players. Its awesome. Still, it seems that maybe times are changing as people seem to have different working hour jobs than in the past. If people can think of a better deadline, I'm all for it. I'm not sure leaving the thread open until everyone votes is the answer either as the way this game went, we might still be on Day 2.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
Fun facts about the game you probably don't know about:

On Day 2 - Stogi's hit was on ThePerm. The game looked like it was going to be over in record time. Stratos had already identified 2 mafia members and was voting 1 out. The killer and the godfather had targeted each other for their hit that night. And the doctor was now protecting the detective and with Thatguy being a high profile target plus Stratos current strategy of trust but verify for his allies, it seemed like this was going to be a major townie blowout and the dinosaurs would not escape their cages.

And then, the plan changed. Stogi and the mafia instead decided to not send in another hit. Since players were currently targeting those not around on Day 1, it seemed too dangerous for the mafia to suddenly make a hit with thatguy and Stogi now arriving on the scene. Their hope was to throw off people's suspicions about them and maybe target someone like Insanolord who had still not shown up. In the end, it didn't pay off as the killer still took out the godfather.

There are a few things I've wanted to comment about though. I've noticed before that the Aussie players like Rabicle and Dasmos have done non-hits on day 1 before when they were godfather even though they were actively playing. I've never agreed with that strategy as I believe the mafia should be playing fast to eliminate as many townies as soon as possible and try to give the townie roles less time to discover them or blow their cover. After this game, I now can see a great benefit to doing that. You can totally mislead townies in their votes the next couple days targeting inactive players on the hope they were the godfather not showing up. Players just don't look at all the angles sometimes.

Something else is that Stogi was actually around. When I checked in on the game Monday morning, he had sent me a pm stating his excitement for the role and included all his mafia in the message with the goal they would keep replying to all and let me in to the loop as their plans unfolded. I appreciated that and quite a few players were generous enough to do this in the game like Spak-Spang, Stratos and Mop it up. They'd send me the details of what they were up to and their thoughts on things. Of course, I already knew the answers to a lot of things but it was fun to still get a better understanding of why players were taking the actions they were. The point of this all is that Stogi would have had a timestamp at least showing he checked in after the game had started. Considering how other people have jobs with different working hours, for all anyone knew, he could have sent in a hit order that time he checked in since he wouldn't be around later. I don't know why he was considered on the inactive list the next day. Even though people were right to suspect him, it bugged me that it was for the wrong reason.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
I hate that that's even a strategy. Why are so many people not showing up/acting/posting? To me, the game is a lot more interesting when I have to gauge who's hiding something rather than the guessing game out of who isn't participating.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »
Khush:  I am curious about one thing that surprised me.  Why did you give the detective the information for the investigations the day he did them, instead of a night action?  What was your logic behind it?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »
I think it helps the action move faster. Rapid responses allow for things like alliances and genuine bandwagons to start sooner.

I think I will model my game rules after this style of searches from now on.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »
Khush:  I am curious about one thing that surprised me.  Why did you give the detective the information for the investigations the day he did them, instead of a night action?  What was your logic behind it?

Well, you haven't played for awhile but I've been doing that for a long time now. I believe I even outlined that the role would work that way in the rules (which it seems a lot of people skipped over *Reggie shrug*) Honestly, I can't remember how it started or why I did that. I think it was because some other hosts did it. In fact, if I recall, in your Winter Mafia game, you had me with a special role that would join the mafia when investigated. Right away, I got the detective to investigate me, joined the mafia and then was in communication with the detective that day since he thought I was innocent from his investigation. (The detective was Stevey, OF COURSE!, giving him another reason to vendetta me.) You yourself did the same thing and now you are questioning me? Boom! Another legal victory. Unless I'm remembering it wrong. In which case I never brought this example up.

In the end, it is just the way I view that role. If I want to investigate somebody that day, I don't see why I should have to wait until another day to get the result. Since the investigation can be done at any time of the day, making it a fast response forces the detective to think about his choice first and I have the added bonus of not having to remember to send it out later at the start of the next day. Moreover, an investigation is a bit of a different ability compared to most. Most other abilities in a game often revolve around voting power or the night hits. Also, all other abilities or roles happen that day/night. The hits that the mafia, killer, bomber, or vigilante send in will happen that day/night. They don't have to wait until the next night for their hit to take effect. Same with doctor or vote changer or most other types of roles. That ability will get used that day and if it has an effect, it will count for that day/night. You don't normally choose to protect someone and then have that protection given the next day. It happens that day.

Finally, an investigation is a small piece of info given to the person with the role. It could be of big importance, it could be irrelevant for awhile. There's still a ways to go from investigating and knowing one player is a mafia member to getting them voted out/hit and still taking out the rest of the threats or finding trustworthy allies. This game again proved that with two positive mafia identifications given on the first two days, it didn't result in a townie victory by handing out that information same day.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 01:13:23 AM »
No, problems with the role.  I like how it works.  I have just been out of the loop for like 4-5 years. 

I have a new role I will want to try out.  I have to think of a theme to do it in...but it will be interesting.  A very powerful role for the townies, but with limits will make it a fair role.  And this role will basically work like that. 

I don't remember having a role like...but I can not remember all the mafia games I did.  The only game I really remember is my crazy Mafia Crisis on Two Earths, which ran two mafia games at the same time.  That is still one of my favorite memories.  It was alot of work but fun.