Author Topic: Epic uses for the Wii U gamepad! (mockups and concepts)  (Read 16984 times)

Offline ianjh06

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Epic uses for the Wii U gamepad! (mockups and concepts)
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
let's be creative now people, we have already seen examples such as inventory, sniper scope, scanners and radars so what other unique uses could this new controller have?

here's a template you can use to illustrate:

Just cut out the pics and replace them to show off your idea. You can also just cut out the controller and drag it up over the screen to illustrate cameras, scanners etc.

here's mine...

Tank game:
*Full 360 degree panoramic view of inside the cockpit of your tank.
*Touch screen control panel interface allows you to press the actual shiny (and sometimes big and red) buttons instead of buttons on your gamepad.

(This could be huge for flight sims game too.)

Pokemon game:
*Gamepad acts as your inventory.
*Selecting most items for you inventory opens a "mini-game" for you to use the item.
*Item uses include: sliding pokeballs along the screen towards the tv to catch/release pokemon and having a pokedex that you can use to identify on-screen pokemon.

my example of a where's wally game:

you'd have to find him amongst a crowd and take photo's of him It could have high scores where accuracy (how close to the center of the image he is) and how fast you found him increase your score. heck you could play with 2 players each using a different Wii U gamepad you could have player constantly moving around in the crowd sort of like an active hide and seek game.

Metal gear solid Wii U:

have your communication device in your hands while playing the game.

Features:
*Rumble function while volume is on mute.
*Call in-game characters.
*Call monitoring, don't like a certain character? then don't answer.
*Text messaging for the socially awkward.
*3 built-in mini-games: Snake, Snake-man and Snake invaders.

Super smash bros. Universe:

X-ray device!:

Wii U card/trading card games:

Watch Dogs on Wii U vs other consoles:

Butterfly effect concept:

Starcraft Wii U:

Submarine Wii U game:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:48:02 AM by ianjh06 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Epic uses for the Wii U gamepad! (mockups and concepts)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
Epic post.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
i will be doing a ton of these later
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
I was reading this thread last night and really wanted to come up with some ideas, I was just too lazy to try to implement the pictures. Thanks for providing them though!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
kudos man, best post ever !!
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 05:25:15 AM »
When i saw this thread bumped i thought CliffyB got hired at Nintendo or something...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 06:03:42 AM »
1. Don't really feel like making a picture but it would be kinda fun to be a police sketch artist. People describe to you what the person looks like on the TV while you try and make a drawing that resembles them on your gamepad. The better you do, the quicker the suspect is caught, and the more money you make for upgrades. This might be better as a mini-game in a bigger detective game.

2. This could be very zen or very hippy but it could be neat too. You start out as a seed trying to grow into a tree and bud other trees. The TV screen is the outside world. It shows things such as your growth as well as the weather, competition from other plants, animals, humans and the soil around you. The gamepad is the view inside your plant where play as cute little cells trying to continue to exist. I don't really have the gameplay in mind, but fighting a horde of fungus from infecting you should be just as much fun as allocating resources to grow your roots in a certain direction or bud new leaves.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 09:00:18 AM »

Depending on who runs the show, I'd expect the touchscreen to be used a little differently, like.. casting your spells in real time by selecting your glyphs on the fly, and due to the positive reception of Zomi U I'm sure it would be done to add tension to the game by forcing your eyes off the TV.

2. This could be very zen or very hippy but it could be neat too. You start out as a seed trying to grow into a tree and bud other trees. The TV screen is the outside world. It shows things such as your growth as well as the weather, competition from other plants, animals, humans and the soil around you. The gamepad is the view inside your plant where play as cute little cells trying to continue to exist. I don't really have the gameplay in mind, but fighting a horde of fungus from infecting you should be just as much fun as allocating resources to grow your roots in a certain direction or bud new leaves.

Sounds very zen but also has the possibility for more gameplay ideas then something like My Aquarium.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ianjh06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »
a fps/rts hybrid

tv screen is your fps veiw and you act as a field commander, the game pad is the rts veiw with an overhead veiw, you're able to issue orders and research from there.

and in multiplayer, all your teammates are actual players with one commander (but squad leaders get to issue orders limited to their squad)

^
although, come to think of it, this would be perfect for battalion wars wiiU

Offline EJtheK

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
I just want to say that I really love this thread.

Thanks.
That is all.

Offline Spenczar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
I think using the gamepad as your "Hand" for card games is a fantastic idea.  It's so simple but I feel like it would very effective fro really replicated an actual card experience.
3DS friend code: 1418-6713-1779
Message me if you've added me. :]

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
Real-time Pokemon online card battle.

Battle Arena up on the screen, card deck on the gamepad.

or alternatively

Nintendo releases a new series of cards with NFC chips in them.
(or an NFC peripheral that has an eReader attached for reading the cards)

You place (or scan) your card using the NFC on the gamepad, and then the pokemon ball on the gamepad screen opens to reveal your pokemon, who you can then send into battle up on the big screen. All your micromanagement happens on the gamepad PvP action up on the TV.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 06:58:43 PM »
Still too lazy to make a picture but I'm throwing my hat into this ring:

Simple idea, not epic, but could be fun in the right game...

1 player, either via wiimote or classic/pro controller can pilot a vehicle, but a a 2nd player acts as co-pilot/gunner/maintenance crew. This idea will work better as a co-up/bonus mode rather than part of the main game, just keep that in mind.

(Just for sake of explanation, let's do an amalgamation of something like Mario Kart and F-Zero)

So yeah, the main pilot does all your standard maneuvering about the course, doesn't take his/her eyes off the screen. Meanwhile the second player who uses the gamepad can switch between two separate views. The first view matches the main player as s/he goes around the track, BUT, they can maneuver the camera a full 360 degrees without the main player being affected. This is so that the second player can assist in using weapons or items (a la Mario Kart) more effectively; either tap another racer to fire or use the c-sticks, depending on the exact type of game (c-sticks for more "core" games, touch for "casual").

This alone wouldn't be very much fun, because what happens when the main player doesn't have an item? Logical conclusion: mini games! Say your vehicle takes damage from taking or performing sideswipes from other vehicles, or just crashing. The 2nd player would be responsible for fixing while the race is still on. Again, depending on the type of game this mini-games could play very differently. In something like Mario Kart, I picture something like tapping the screen to do repairs, or say your vehicle can catch fire - that player would blow into the microphone to put it out, etc.

For a more advanced game, like F-Zero, things could be more complex. Say you take too much physical damage and blow out your g-diffuser (yes, like in Star Fox), the second players mini-game would consist of something like rewiring or repairing circuitry.To give the 2nd player more of a challenge, the screen would appear to shake and move along with the drivers actions, so having to draw a straight line on the gamepad wouldn't be as easy as it sounds on paper.

Lets say the 2nd player in this example takes on the roll of some sort of robot attached to the ship, kind of like R2-D2, but have to physically move to the damaged part of the vehicle (as opposed to just waiting for these mini-games to pop up on screen. This would open up ever greater gameplay scenarios. While your bot is fixing the left side of your craft, the main player/pilot better be sure not to hit a wall or let another racer hit 'em on that side, or else your bot is gone.. maybe 3 lives or so for the 2nd player, or can only be activated after a lap..? Take this game on-line and include that mode as co-op and now me as a pilot can see that an a nearby opponent and purposefully try to destroy that bot to gain an advantage. The bot would have to try to dodge to the other side of the vehicle in order to remain intact, but even if they do avoid my attack, I'm just causing more damage to that other racer. That means that other person will have MORE work once the coast is clear. Hell, lets say two vehicles come side by side, those bots could decide to try to knock EACHOTHER off in another mini-game, something that causes both vehicles to be locked together for the duration of it, so make it something quick like a random button combination (up up, down down, left right left right b a start?) and whoever completes it first wins that mini duel.. just imagine how tense it would be when you're the pilot, your buddy went and got you locked with another vehicle as you're approaching a split in the track or some other sort of hazard, fighting to pull away from one another but you're just dragging the other guy along with you until your wins that toss up and disengages from that other vehicles bot..

I haven't tried NSMBWU's boost mode, but my idea sounds 10x better. It's the kind of co-op mode that you might have you fighting over who gets to be "player 2" and that's the beauty of it...

Take a "core" game where your average gamer would say "I'd rather play that on the pro controller" but add a feature that makes the GamePad more appealing without actually taking away from the main part of the game. Now those same gamer's might realize that when they play using the pro controller, all they're doing is holding down the accelerator and moving left and right, but the mode with the gamepad is actually more fun. Might just open their eyes...

Offline ianjh06

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 01:11:03 AM »
Some Mock-ups I found on the internet, all credit goes to original poster/artist:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:13:10 AM by ianjh06 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 02:11:37 AM »
So Nintendo now owns Fatal Frame, and Eternal Darkness? If Nintendo doesn't own Eternal Darkness I would be happy to make a game called Dark Infinity.

edit:hey looked it up. Nintendo owns the trademark for Eternal Darkness. That settles that. Actually, even more interesting...They re-filed it in 2010.

Rumors are SK only has 5 staff members at the moment, that doesnt mean Nintendo can't have another team work on it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:27:17 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 06:38:23 AM »
Well there was that rumour that Nintendo cancelled Eternal Darkness 2 around E3.

ED will probably find a home with Mach Rider,Ice climbers and Star Tropics in Nintendo's vault.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 07:15:25 AM »
This was something I posted before E3 2011. Many of the concepts now seem unlikely given that the Wii U might not even be able to support multiple gamepads, but I still think the ideas themselves had some potential.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Mario -  Some of the best moments in Super Mario Galaxy 2 were those sections  where you dropped down one of those infamous mushroom kingdom pipes and  found yourself on the other end playing a classic 2-D Mario level. What  made these sections so cool was that one minute you could be flying in  3D space around a spherical planet and the next you would be jumping and  hopping on a 2D plain as if the last 20 years of video game  developement had never happened. It was great. So why not build upon and  emphasise this concept by having those 2D portions put on the Cafe  controller screen? You could even have simultaneous play on both screens  ala Bower's Inside Story. It's true that this style of game play was  seen on the DS and is likely to be seen on the 3DS, but if Project Cafe  is (as is reported) more powerful than any of the home consoles  currently on the market then the scope afforded to this sort of game  would be significantly expanded.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

Metroid - Metroid: Other M may not be the most loved in the series, but it  definitely had some cool and interesting ideas. One such idea was the  concept of shifting between the third and first person perspective.  Unfortunately this concept was hindered somewhat by Director Yoshiro  Sakamoto's decision to cram all of the required gameplay mechanics onto a  single Wii Remote (even refusing to utilise the nunchuck to provide an  optional alternative control scheme for those who desired it). This  choice had some pretty serious repurcussions for how the game played, as  it effectively meant that the player was forced to continually change  their grip on the Wii remote in order to point it at the screen. Enter  Project Cafe. Third Person action game on the main screen, first person  shooting with the touch screen on the controller. Problem solved.

Knowing what I now know about the controller's built-in gyroscopes I would also add that holding the controller up to the television screen might provide quite an elegant solution for scanning environments. As good as the method for selecting visors was in Metroid Prime 3, this could be even better.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

Pikmin - Pikmin 2 was a fantastic game. It took the original lite strategy  elements of the original and expanded upon them in pretty much every  way. The final level of the original, for instance, required our plucky  protagonist Captain Olimar to move back and forth between several groups  of Pikmin, each of which were performing different tasks which had to  be timed in order to allow the other groups of pikmin to continue.  Pikmin 2 took this idea and ran with it thanks to the inclusion of  Captain Olimar's sidekick Louie. In Pikmin 2, therefore, the player was  tasked with switching between both characters as each led their own band  of Pikmin to perform various goals. Fun though it was, it did on  occasion feel overwhelming as it was often difficult to find your  bearings as the camera switched between the two locations. Having both  groups of Pikmin viewable at any one time, one group on the television  and another on the controller, would do much to mitigate this confusion.

***Bonus Idea - You can grow and tend to your Pikmin crop/farm on the controller  screen without the need to go back to base. Damn it I'm good.***

Television Screen

Controller Screen

Street Fighter - We've all experienced it. You sit down with a buddy to play a  friendly bout of Street Fighter. With each match, however, the  testosterone in the atmosphere builds and both partys begin to take the  virtual fight increasingly more serious. Eventually half your time is  spent waiting for your 'buddy' who has paused the game in order to  review their move list. Throw that stuff to the controller screen.  Problem solved.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

Paper Mario/Yoshi's Island - Nintendo have a history of creating art styles which are patterned  (pun intended) after real world arts & crafts, with games like Paper  Mario, Yoshi's Island, WarioWare and most recently Kirby's Epic Yarn.  When Ubisoft released the uDraw peripheral back in November I remember  thinking how cool it would be if Nintendo were to use something similar  to allow gamers to contribute their own art to a game. Think Mario Paint  meets Okami meets Drawn to Life. I love the idea, for instance, of  drawing some wacky little character only for them to return as an enemy  later in the game. You've all seen that Spongebob episode right? Well,  it would be like that but with Bowser instead of Squidward and Yoshi  instead of Garry.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

Super Smash Bros. - Last but not least, Nintendo's flagship multiplayer mashup, Super  Smash Bros. The best thing about Smash Bros. of course is getting three  friends around the television (either with items on or off, depending on  your preference) and beating the hell out of each other. There is,  however, one thing about the current set-up which can kill some of the  enjoyment, and that's being put out of the brawl at an early stage and  being resigned to a mere spectator. That's where the controller screen  comes in. Rather than making the losers sit there watching the more  experienced players battle it out for the top spot, why not allow them  to drop  down to the controller screen to duke it out for third place?  That way everyone's having fun.

Television Screen

Controller Screen

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:54:40 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »
I don't think the Smash Bros. idea can work. Besides the fact that losing determines 3rd and 4th place, being huddled around the GamePad doesn't seem like a lot of fun and would require some seat shuffling depending on who wasn't still playing on the TV. Pause the game and play musical chairs just so 2 losers can battle it out to see who's less of a loser? Sounds complicated for a game that's anything but.

I think the GamePad would work better in Adventure Mode. The GamePad always follows the action of that player while the TV follows the other player. That would allow you to split up at times and alleviate the issue of player 2 falling behind then warping to player 1's position. Then again, if the 3DS title is the Adventure Mode, that's already not an issue and it would allow for 4-player Adventure Mode which actually sounds like a better option.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
@Pixelated

Wii U does support multiple game pads. Support wasn't added until just before E3 though, so no games launching this year, or likely in the first half of 2013 will support the feature.

I expect Nintendo to push the multi pad games near fall/Xmas next year to combat X720 & PS4

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
@Pixelated

Wii U does support multiple game pads. Support wasn't added until just before E3 though, so no games launching this year, or likely in the first half of 2013 will support the feature.

I expect Nintendo to push the multi pad games near fall/Xmas next year to combat X720 & PS4

Fair enough. I guess some of my multiplayer ideas aren't too far-fetched then. I'll be interested to see how often (if at all) the ability to support multiple gamepads is actually utilised. There are so many unique experiences a feature like that could provide.

I don't think the Smash Bros. idea can work. Besides the fact that losing determines 3rd and 4th place, being huddled around the GamePad doesn't seem like a lot of fun and would require some seat shuffling depending on who wasn't still playing on the TV. Pause the game and play musical chairs just so 2 losers can battle it out to see who's less of a loser? Sounds complicated for a game that's anything but.

You misunderstood me. The point was that each person playing would have a gamepad. The idea being that players who have been knocked out of the match can continue to battle or just generally mess about on a second arena, separate from the one they just got knocked out of. Huddling around a single gamepad would be very dumb.

I guess whether or not you find the idea of two games of Smash running simultaneously complicated will depend on the person. Personally, I think it seems pretty straight forward, but I'm sure some would disagree.
Gouge away.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Only 2 GamePads can work though, so it wouldn't work with your idea of every player having their own GamePad.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »
Only 2 GamePads can work though, so it wouldn't work with your idea of every player having their own GamePad.

As I acknowledge in the post, these concepts might not actually be possible (frankly, at the time I originally posted this the question of whether or not the ideas were feasible was not my focus). I was just trying to have some fun with it. These were ideas I came up with before E3 2011 when little was actually known about the console. I just thought it might be interesting to pre-post it here for comparison purposes.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Their are a lot of good ideas in here but, the day one purchase as a downloaded title would would be Where's Waldo.  $15 for the entire book collection digital where its easy to play with friends and family.  Sold.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.