Author Topic: Will the Wii U be Nintendo's Last console?? Will they go handheld only??  (Read 20691 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Let me preface this by saying that I did not create this thread to bash Nintendo.  I know I have been quite the pessimist over the last few months, but I created this thread in the hope of discussing the topic.

OK, Due to the way the Wii U has been handled, do we think that this will be Nintendo's last foray into the home console arena?  Now I realize that the Wii U is only 6 months old.  But still, those 6 months have been as bad as they could possibly be.

As far as I can tell, every single facet of the Wii U has been a disaster. 
- The console is underpowered.
- The OS is slow and buggy.
- Frequent game crashing.
- Pretty much nothing standout in the way of games.
- Been shunned by 3rd parties.
- Hardly any information pre-launch. (Ordinary PR)
- Missing DLC
- Staple titles absent from the system.

And that is all in the first 6 months when it is still the newest (and presumably the most capable) system on the market.  What do you think will happen when the PS4 and Durango hit the market?

Thinking about this has led me to think that Nintendo will end their production of consoles and stick to handhelds.  In fact, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if Nintendo announce that the Wii U is done and they are proceeding only with handhelds.  Nintendo are good at handhelds.  It seems to be where their passion lies. 

With the way things are going, do we even want Nintendo to continue producing consoles?  I know I personally feel betrayed by them.  Nintendo told us that the Wii U was their means of bringing back the core gamer.  Well right now the Wii U (and Nintendo) are the laughing stock of the gaming community.  They are the laughing stock of the very crowd they were trying to win back.

What do you all think? (again, bearing in mind we are only 6 months in.) 
Do you think things will improve? 
What do you think needs to happen for things to improve?
Do you even want Nintendo to continue console development if things continue the way they have been?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Yes, I want Nintendo to keep making consoles. Fortunately, I doubt they're leaving the console market any time soon. They hit a rough patch, but it's looking to pick up in the second half of the year with some major releases. Sure, they should have been out sooner. Nothing to be done there.

Nintendo is great for the industry. I don't think people have really considered the impact of Nintendo leaving the console. Even though they get some things wrong, they keep Microsoft and Sony from getting complacent, just as they do for Nintendo.

On a personal level, I don't want Nintendo to leave the console market because I merely tolerate handheld gaming for the games I can't get on a console. I'm not bashing people who like handhelds or enjoy the portability. More power to you. I treat my handhelds like home consoles because I generally don't play videogames away from home. My 3DS only comes with me to work and on errands so I can earn play coins while I walk about.

Honestly, I can't see anything positive from Nintendo leaving the console market and going handheld only. They wouldn't go third party; they would just make handheld games. And F that noise. I suppose that means I would have to buy one less piece of hardware, but my TV would be practically pointless since my Nintendo console is what I use most with it.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
I know I personally feel betrayed by them.
Burn Reggie! Hang Iwata! Gun down Miyamoto!

What do you think will happen when the PS4 and Durango hit the market?
Everyone and their dogs will rush to buy both and play all the cross-gen games on them.

This will show s-s-stupid Nintendo.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Do you own a Wii U Pug, have you spent significant time with one? Or do you just repeat other people's opinions?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Do you own a Wii U Pug, have you spent significant time with one?
Why does it matter?

People are pointing fingers. They are laughing at Nintendo.

This is horrible.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Will this be the last Nintendo console?  Absolutely not.  I can't think of any situation where Nintendo would consider bowing-out of consoles, especially considering they're nowhere near serious financial trouble.

A lousy launch lineup isn't outside the norm.  I recall being underwhelmed with the Playstation 2 and 3's games, which prompted me to wait until the first price drop for both.  It wasn't that long ago that people on this website we're praising the launch lineup as being one of the more robust ones they could recall.  Has it been a trickle since the system launch?  Yes, but I think anyone expecting a flood of stellar games in the first 6 months had unrealistic expectations.

3rd parties are staying away from the thing simply because there isn't a large enough install base to warrant the cost of porting their games.  If the system was selling gangbusters, you would see more 3rd party support.  Most businesses aren't this petty, revenge-fuelled thing that most articles portray them as, and if they expected to get a decent Return-on-investment for a Wii U version of their game, then they'd happily support it.  That being said, I don't think it'll be a death knell to Nintendo's console business if they have to carry their console by themselves again.

1,000 times this.  The system has great potential, and some of the issues you cited (slow OS, bugs) can be fixed and improved upon in software updates.  The Playstation 3 is a great example of how much a console can improve via software updates, I have no reason to believe Nintendo can't continually improve the Wii U in a similar manner.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
I want to reiterate, I did not create this thread to bash Nintendo.  I didn't create it to bash the Iwata, Reggie and Miyamoto (though there are few a few things I could say about them, I won't.) I created it purely to discuss the current situation and courses of action for the short term future. 

No, and no. 

The sad part is that I don't need to.  The issues are for the most part not subjective.  They are system or company problems.

The system has great potential,
I have never denied future potential.  What worries me is that it won't be worth examining due to no one caring. 

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Don't get me wrong, shorty, I'm not playing nintendo defense force here, and I certainly think Nintendo **** the bed with how they handled Wii U's launch, but I just disagree with the premise that nintendo would bow out completely from consoles.

I only pray no one compare the Wii u to the Dreamcast.  It makes my blood boil every time I see that terrible, inaccurate analogy on every stupid gaming website comments section.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
but I just disagree with the premise that nintendo would bow out completely from consoles.

That is quite OK sir.  I didn't create this thread to start a fight.  I am genuinely interested in other peoples thoughts about the situation.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
If there's one thing to blame Nintendo on it's for having so many launch window delays that in turn helped create this extreme drought we have. That's why we're having so many threads full of nothing but hyperbole. Nintendo's doomed. Wii U to the bargain bin. No more third party games. Nintendo going third party. Nintendo going handhelds only.

The Wii U's potential will continue to unfold during the fall, winter and spring'14 periods with the 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD and other games. Then third parties will go back to offering lukewarm support for the console instead of the zero support they're showing right now.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Honestly Shorty, you can't even participate in this debate without owning a Wii U and playing with it significantly. Hell, I don't think anyone who hasn't spent more than at least twenty hours on the system shouldn't say anything.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Hell, I don't think anyone who hasn't spent more than at least twenty hours on the system shouldn't say anything.

Is that a double or triple negative, because that sentence makes no sense?  :Q
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Honestly Shorty, you can't even participate in this debate without owning a Wii U and playing with it significantly.

Why not? Now, I'll agree basing your argument on other people's experiences with system specific features (slow OS, game crashing) without you having experienced them firsthand yourself isn't going to be conducent to good discussion, other portions of his argument are totally valid (not owning a Wii U because of delays, lack of 1st or 3rd party games).
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
To answer the thread's question, I think it will be Nintendo's Last Console.  However, I think every company's current or upcoming console will be their last one.  Our society is just moving away from this idea of the dedicated gaming hardware box separate from the PC or mobile device.  So yeah, Nintendo will go handheld-only eventually because that's where our society is going.

As for the Wii U, I barely use mine.  I think the most time I've put into it has either been the 10-12 hrs it took me to finish Disaster: Day of Crisis or the equivalent time in Lego City Undercover.  I just have nothing but pure apathy for the device.  I never play it, and I never want to play it unless I have an occasional craving for an obscure Wii game from my backlog.  It's just not a device I associate with my gaming habits like I do my 3DS, Vita, or PS3.  It has nothing I want to play on it, and it's a pain in the ass to use.  Right now, my Wii U is out on loan to my best friend, who has also largely used it to play Wii & Wii Virtual Console games.  It's not a device I'm eager to have back.

Do I think the Wii U is "doomed", though?  Hard to say, and even harder to say if I actually care.  Nintendo showed with the N64 that they could carry a platform almost entirely by themselves, but they made better software back then so that might not be a good indicator.  For right now, all I can say is that this E3 will make or break the Wii U, so Nintendo had better have one HELL of a phenomenal lineup of games not previously revealed, or the Wii U probably will be doomed.  Either way, it's not going to be my primary gaming device, so all I ask is that Nintendo give me a reason to care about my Wii U for those occasional games.

I do enjoy seeing Nintendo squirming, though. When Nintendo's bleeding and their back is up against the wall is when they're the most interesting, because that is when they are the most desperately creative.  They were FAR too complacent and boring during the Wii years.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:27:41 AM by broodwars »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
Honestly Shorty, you can't even participate in this debate without owning a Wii U and playing with it significantly.

While I understand what you are saying, I disagree. 

If the points in question were purely software (IE variety or lack of in games) then you are completely correct.  However, these are not subjective issues.  These aren't based on peoples opinions.  These are long standing problems that affect everyone.  Granted, some people are more patient than others, and these people may not mind unplugging their system to restart it because it has frozen solid.  However, this does not mean it is not an issue. 

One or two of the issues it would be a whole different ballgame.  I'm sure the vast majority of people could get over that.  It would be an irritation, but it could be forgotten about and the system could be enjoyed.  But there is a whole swag of universal issues which NEED addressing, which is the whole point of this topic.

I ask you, what do you feel Nintendo has done RIGHT with the Wii U?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
No way this is Nintendo's last console and I certainly don't see it's current status as something that will last the whole generation.

What I do believe though is after this Nintendo will leave its bubble almost entirely. I don't think it means however the next console will bleed money with super duper over the top tech, but I think its features will include what many consider the industry standard along with Nintendo's own zaniness. Oh and many 3rd parties will still ignore them. But all that's just based on nothing more than it seems like Nintendo is "coming around."

The hysteria over Wii U is amazing though. It's not like we have any RRODs. Single and stylus touch is much better than multi touch for games(it is, multi touch is used for a lack of buttons and without a stylus drawing well would be near impossible). The CPU is not as good as the Ps360 but OMG the Ps4's CPU isn't as good as the Ps3's either! Look it up. Oh no there is mic built in but we can't use it without a head set?! Shut up and do some real research. You can do full on voice chat within games without a headset as long as the developer wants to. COD may require for me to use headphones, not even a mic, but Monster Hunter lets me just use the gamepad.

Why isn't the 3rd party support more like gamecubes? Really? Anyone who says that needs to go back in time and shut the heck up. We had a few bones thrown at us back then and have a few bones being thrown at us now. It's amazing how people remember the full generation as if they had all those gamecube games at once, as if we never had dry spells. Look at your posts from almost 10 years ago, all we talked about all the time was how we got Capconed and only had Time Splitters for a shooter. I'm exaggerating but its true.

I'm not a smart man by any means, but I can sit back and think rationally for second before I start acting like a typical dumb cluck who reads a headline and nothing else. The latest E3 hooplah is the best example of gaming fans and gaming media being typical dumb clucks. This won't be Nintendo's last console and thinking that the main problem is anything but a steady supply of games is just ignoring history.

I'm completely ok with the U's power because if I get games that will eventually look better than Halo 4, God of War 3, Galaxy etc I am set. I fully expect later Wii U games to get close to and may even surpass what Sony showed at their Ps4 revealing.  Still that doesn't mean I don't want universal voice chat, a messaging system that I can quickly get access to while I'm looking at my friends list, unified account etc. But those things aren't impossible within the U's life span and to top it off the controller just makes gaming life easier.

Another thing, I never felt betrayed with Wii. I got the best Mario and Donkey kong ever, I got a new Sin and Punishment and a Zelda that didn't have a single light the torch with a stick puzzle. I got the best JRPG this gen and a way to control FPSs that doesn't make me pissed at the world. Then when I had friends over who don't normally play games, I had a heck of a time with Wii Sports and Resort. Only draw back for me was to me the games were uglier than GameCube games, aside from Galaxy. Of course my perception was off because of how my first impression of those GameCube games were ingrained in my memory.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
If I got my opinions from whining nerds on the Internet, I'd kill myself.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
I ask you, what do you feel Nintendo has done RIGHT with the Wii U?

Well, I can think of three things:

1.  They seem to have dropped motion control support, more or less, in favor of traditional (and most importantly: functional, which MC never was) controls.

2.  They've made a pretty strong push to get as many Wii U games available both in retail and digital form.  Even if the Wii U's pitiful storage isn't big enough to store such games and the eShop is a cluster**** to navigate right now (though, granted, still better than the abysmal Wii Shop was), at least the content is available however you want it.

3.  They included backwards compatibility right out of the box, allowing Wii U owners to at least have something to play on their console between the 1 Wii U game released every 2-3 months.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Hell, I don't think anyone who hasn't spent more than at least twenty hours on the system shouldn't say anything.

What?

I don't think (easy to understand right?) anyone who hasn't played more than at least twenty hours on the system (so my "i don't think" only includes anyone who hasn't played for more than twenty hours) shouldn't say anything (those who hasn't played for more than twenty hours shouldn't say anything).

I shouldn't have have to break my setence down that much, but I said it correctly. :)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
It is possible that the next Nintendo system is a tablet sized hand-held with a wireless streaming dongle that plugs into HDMI. Like the WiiU in reverse with the processor in the pad. It would be both a console AND a hand held.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile

What?

I don't think (easy to understand right?) anyone who hasn't played more than at least twenty hours on the system (so my "i don't think" only includes anyone who hasn't played for more than twenty hours) shouldn't say anything (those who hasn't played for more than twenty hours shouldn't say anything).

I shouldn't have have to break my setence down that much, but I said it correctly. :)

Well, thanks for the clarification because I was honestly confused trying to read that. Let me reword that in a way that's easier to read:

"I don't think anyone should say anything on this subject if they haven't played their Wii U for at least 20 hours."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
The only way i can see them getting out of the console business is when they have miniaturized super powered graphics chips enough to where you can take it with you. At some point if the trend continues the console is going to be nothing more then an hdmi dongle.

i think we're about 2 generations to that point. In which time they will just have a wii u controller and call it Ultra Gameboy.

I can imagine it being like a combo router tv device. The controller would have enough chipage to operate independantly.

prediction. Nintendo will release a slighly different version of the Wii U controller. It would be about 150 by itself, but would be able to operate independantly of the console, and connect via usb. Why usb? There is only so much wireless video bandwidth.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:59:17 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Less than a year after the 3DS launch, that system was an absolute mess and not worth owning. It was the laughing stock of the gaming community, destined to be destroyed by Vita, and proof that Nintendo didn't know what they were doing anymore when it came to handhelds.

My, how things have changed.  3DS is a great system now with a strong lineup of games (including some meaningful third party support).  It's easy to recommend to most gamers.

That doesn't mean that Wii U will eventually become a "success"... but I really think it's too early to judge fairly, and making comparisons to the expected consumer response for the next PlayStation/XBox is especially silly since nobody yet knows how those consoles will actually fare.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I don't see Nintendo releasing a new version of Wii U that drastically changes the current set-up. People are confused enough by Wii U; doing something like having the GamePad able to operate independently of the console and connect via USB is practically like marketing a new console. The only new version of Wii U I can see involves the storage options. It'll be either the same model with greater internal flash memory (e.g. 64 GB) or a new design with a hard drive bay, maybe with a hard drive included (e.g. 250 GB). Neither are sure things, but I think the former is more likely than the latter.

As for a future console in which the GamePad is the console in a reverse-Wii U set-up, I can't really see that happening either. Such a set-up would force Nintendo to make too many compromises. Do they combine handheld and console into one device? How many screens does this have? How do you carry it around? You simply can't do the same things anymore. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

Do they keep handheld and console separate? A portable home console cannibalizes their handheld. Trying to convince people to buy both becomes far more difficult. I think Nintendo likes keeping them separate. Right now, they're clearly defined devices. Changing industry trends may force Nintendo's hand one way or another, but I see them trying to keep them separate for as long as they can.