Author Topic: Gear.Club Unlimited 2 (Switch) Hands-on Preview  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Gear.Club Unlimited 2 (Switch) Hands-on Preview
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:42:00 AM »

This arcade racing sequel features a number of improvements over its predecessor.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/49048/gearclub-unlimited-2-switch-hands-on-preview

I recently spent an hour with Gear.Club Unlimited 2. The arcade racing sequel from developer Eden Games comes out on December 4. While the game has many similarities to the first title in the series, there's definitely been some major improvements.

First of all, the graphics have seen a major upgrade. Level geometry seems to have been vastly improved and I also witnessed some great looking lighting effects. The improved visual look is thanks to an upgraded version of the unity engine. In docked mode, the game runs at 1080p and in handheld mode it runs at 720p. In addition, the game appeared to run at a smooth 30fps at all times.

The car handling seems very similar to last year's edition. I had a fun time racing around the tracks and think arcade racing fans will feel right at home. There's also a number of driving assists available to help make racing easier if needed (such as braking and steering assistance). Players who wish to use gyro controls can also pretend their Joy-Con or Pro controller is a steering wheel and race that way. The lack of analog triggers on the Switch has also been addressed by the development team. The game uses a software system to help simulate different pressure inputs.  

Car enthusiasts will be happy to learn that the game features 51 real world cars from a number of different manufacturers. These cars can be worked on at the in-game performance shop where you can buy new car parts and give each vehicle a new coating of paint. The development team worked diligently to make sure the digital versions of the cars accurately reflect their real world counterparts.

The most important change in the sequel is likely the inclusion of true online multiplayer this time around. In the first Gear.Club, players could compete against the best track times of their friends, but you couldn't actually have a live online match. Unfortunately, I was unable to try the online multiplayer during my demo, but it's great to know it's included. Players can also participate in up to 4-player local split-screen racing.

My short time with Gear.Club Unlimited 2 was very enjoyable. I've always liked arcade racers and it appears that the development team has put a lot of work into the sequel. It's also worth noting that even though the Gear.Club series started in the mobile world, the brand new entry on Switch was designed from the ground up for the Nintendo console. I look forward to the game's upcoming release and hope the online multiplayer delivers a smooth experience.

Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report