Author Topic: Anyone else try a game buying hiatus like Jonny Metz?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline bdahlquist

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
Anyone else try a game buying hiatus like Jonny Metz?
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
After listening to Jonny talk about not buying a game until Mass Effect 3 I decided to try my own game buying hiatus. I didn't really have a big game in mind to wait for, but I was thinking Rhythm Thief in July. While I intend to stick with not buying any new games for full value, I have broken my non-game buying vows several times in the last few weeks. If I see a game for cheap I just can't pass it up, even if it's not particularly good or something I even plan to play. Just today I bought Centipede Infestation for the 3DS since it was on clearance for $6 at Target. I may actually play that one, but Madden 2010 I bought as well for $5 new for PS3 and I will probably never take the shrink wrap off of that. And Sonic CD on sale for $3 on PSN...well I didn't feel too bad for getting that since I played through it that night.

Has anyone else also tried this and succeeded? Or how about someone else that has also failed so I don't feel so bad?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Anyone else try a game buying hiatus like Jonny Metz?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
By choice? When I was younger and would have to save up for a game. I haven't bough a game in quite some time though because my financial situation won't allow me to spend money on games (I still play the ones I have though).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »
I side step the whole issue by never buying a new game until i beat (or dropped because i didn't like it) the game I'm currently playing. So i guess in a way i am doing that by not buying new games as they come out until i beat what im currently playing but it's not really the same.

Although if it looks like im just about to finish the game i'll order it from amazon so it'll arrive when i finish what im playing.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »
I've tried this before, but the same thing ends up happening: a game I wanted has a sale or price drop and I want to buy it before it's sold out or the sale ends. Right now though I don't have this problem because I don't have as much time (or money) for gaming. Even now I should be writing a paper.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »
I do this more frequently now that I'm in my mid-late 20s, often without thinking about it. If there's nothing I want, I'm content not buying anything. Just last year, I bought Lost in Shadow in July because it was like $15 and I believe that was the first game I bought since Donkey Kong Country Returns in November 2010. If Lost in Shadow hadn't been on sale, I wouldn't have bought anything between DKCR and the 3DS which I got in August and only because it dropped $80 and I got the ambassador titles.

This year, I've already passed on or plan on passing on a couple games I wanted, namely Twisted Metal and Lollipop Chainsaw (that will drop in price in no time). If Xenoblade wasn't a limited release, I could have waited, same will go for The Last Story. I still like gaming but not nearly as much as I used to. There aren't a lot of games I'm eager to get day one. If not for amazing sales or limited availability, I could have gone without any purchases between Resident Evil Revelations and Wii U or Resident Evil 6, whichever comes first.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »
hmmm, i havent purchased a game in a while. I got into minecraft last year, but my friend actually bought that for me. So, since i didn't get anything for Christmas that year, i pretty much haven't bought a game in 2 years. Not a lot appeals to me. I used to always have some game I wanted on the way, and i would obsess and wait for it. This hasn't been the case for a while. My buying of games has waned in the last couple years. I find gaming to be a waste of time for the most part. I would rather be doing something more productive. I think though, there will be more games to want next generation. Its kinda exciting thinking about how ridiculous the next Zelda and Mario will look with full polygon/shader pushing HD graphics.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post