Author Topic: Final Wii U Controller to Use Traditional Analog Sticks?  (Read 40717 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Final Wii U Controller to Use Traditional Analog Sticks?
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »

A tester's Twitter post shows a picture of a Wii U controller with analog sticks.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/30203

The Wii U controller may have traditional analog sticks, as opposed to the Circle Pads from the model shown at E3 2011, according to a photo posted by someone claiming to be a QA Tester at TT Games.

The unit also shows the + and - buttons moved to a more reachable position below the A, B, X, and Y buttons, similar to the layout of the DS Lite and DSi, instead of on the sides of the Home button below the screen. An additional unmarked button is located next to the Power button and an unidentified square resides below the D-pad. The headphone jack and stylus slot have been relocated and the controller appears wider overall.

The controller matches European filings for an alternate Wii U controller design that were filed simultaneously with the design shown at last year's E3. Both designs were filed on May  12, 2011 and published on February 2 of this year. Not visible in the photograph are contoured handles on the reverse of tablet.

TT Games is currently developing Lego City Stories for the Wii U. The tester's Twitter post and photo, which showed the controller connected to debugging hardware, were quickly removed. It is not certain whether the controller represents an intermediate design or one closer to the final version.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Final Wii U Controller to Use Traditional Analog Sticks?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »
the button placement is pretty much exactly what it was on that patent image from a bit ago.

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
I knew 3ds like analog seemed a little too extract. Raised analog looks better to common consumers anyway.
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »
Good.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
I can understand something like the Circle Pad for 3DS, since it has to close flat. Having them on the tablet controller did not feel great at E3 last year, and this is a change I've wanted to see ever since. Exciting!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »
Fair play. I wouldn't have objected to Circle Pads, but this seems like a smart modification.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline LUIGI205

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Do I spy a DSi charger? :O

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:29:08 PM »
Glad to help Insano.

It seems the pic was taken down from Twitter. So I guess that "proves" it's legit. I would like to know if this person get's fired. I can't imagine no one told him that showing anything Wii U related to the public was a big "no no."
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
I hope those sticks click. I photoshoped a design change a while back if you're interested in taking a peek.

One of the biggest changes is a swivel camera.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
Well, it's definitely a step in the right direction for the Wii U, if this design is real and the final version.  Having the 3DS Circle Pads over real analog sticks was my biggest problem with controller design unveiled at last year's E3.  After all my time with my new Vita, having the touch screen be multi-touch would be another good step I'd hope to see.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mii maan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »
Tough decision. Do you go with aesthetics or playability... I'm game for either choice and believe the circle pads for Wii U may work better than its 3DS counterpart; believing the circle pads coupled with the 3DS miniature design led to hand cramps. But don't forget the vitality sensor.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
One of the biggest changes is a swivel camera.
It would probably better to just use two cameras so you don't have to worry about breaking it or moving it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
Looks like the Nintendo gods listened to Jonny on RFN! :-P
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »
Interesting picture there seems to possibly be a button or something below the D-Pad on the left side.  Also, more buttons and switches on the bottom. 

I think there is more to the controller than we first saw.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »
Interesting picture there seems to possibly be a button or something below the D-Pad on the left side.

I think that's probably a button to power-off the controller. It's in just the right place for one.

Hmm...looking at the controller picture again, I still hate that the analog sticks are up at the top of the controller, with the Dpad and buttons underneath them.  I can at least entertain the notion as to why the Dpad "needs" to be where it is, but c'mon having the buttons below the right analog stick is just so counter-intuitive to traditional controller design.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »
Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to get to sleep for the next 15 nights waiting for E3?... I might watch last years presser for the memories...

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
Analog stick seems to be the same one used for the Nunchuck.
Question, did the model in E3 have a mic?

Offline Tizona

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
Is anyone a little sad to the "Wii-u" logo on the bottom of the tablet. If this is indeed the final revision, does this mean we are stuck with the name?

Everything else on it looks pretty good compared to the design shown last year. I just keep hoping for a better name....
"Hear the crashing, see the flames and the sparks! TIZONA!"

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »
I personally think they're keeping the name, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that, were they going to change it, they wouldn't put the new one on anything until they were ready to announce it. It makes sense to give developers hardware that matches what players use, but it doesn't really matter what logo they slap on it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »

Question, did the model in E3 have a mic?
Yes.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ROiDS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »
Hmm...looking at the controller picture again, I still hate that the analog sticks are up at the top of the controller, with the Dpad and buttons underneath them.  I can at least entertain the notion as to why the Dpad "needs" to be where it is, but c'mon having the buttons below the right analog stick is just so counter-intuitive to traditional controller design.

I tried emulating the control scheme of this controller with the the other controllers, and it felt the same to me. In fact, I think it gave me a better control and better comfort with the analogs being on top than on the bottom. I'm sure that the new placements of the buttons and analogs will not complicate of getting used to.
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline Vahne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
If this is true, then nice that the + and - buttons have moved. But analog sticks? I can easily live without them, since I prefer Nintendo's circle pads over any analog stick. Oh well, at least they're using the Classic Controller/Nunchuk sticks, shouldn't have problems with those, though I wonder if using raised sticks will make the tab controller harder to hold.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 09:47:08 PM »
Someone's gonna be in trouble...

Unless, of course, this is yet another in the pre-E3 "leaks" Nintendo has planned.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
well, considering that that twitter account and the twicpic have been wiped off the face of the internet, *cough*nintenjas*cough* I wouldn't be so sure about that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:07:01 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56:17 PM »
Still would't surprise me.  I mean, I still fall in the "in trouble" idea, but using a random Twitter account as a "fall guy" wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Anything to keep the bees buzzing...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.