Author Topic: Super Mario Run  (Read 9629 times)

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Super Mario Run
« on: September 07, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »
Nintendo just announced a Mario game for iOS at their iPhone 7 event today.  I'm kind of excited for it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Run
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »
I wonder if this will release on 3DS or something. If one of the goals of Nintendo's mobile games is to get more people interested in their systems and games, then I don't think also releasing it on 3DS (or NX...?) would affect the mobile sales.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 04:21:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F2UE5AzQ3Q

Vertical layout raises eyebrows at first, but i think this was the gimmick that Nintendo decided will differentiate this from thousands of other runners of phones. It is also places more importance on jumps, wall jumps and tricks over just reaching the goal.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »
looks cool
some vid from an apple twitter account:
https://twitter.com/AppStore/status/773600801746853888
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 11:59:33 PM »
This looks really cool actually.  I like the vertical phone position...it helps emphasis the jumping aspect, and allows for more jumps.  It also looks like you may be able to change directions freely.  It would nice if a tap allows you to jump and double tap is a jump and swipes allow you to change directions.  If that is the case then this game could be much more than a simple runner.  It already seems to have more intricate level design than most runners. 

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 05:29:55 PM »
I think the change of direction is automatic, I don't think you can control it. From videos, it seems Mario changes direction if he runs across a reverse-arrow block (which you could choose to avoid by jumping over) or if his final jump in a wall-jump-climb goes to the left. Other wise, he just continues to run and jump to the right. That's what it looks like to me.
I also read somewhere that for smaller platforms, he auto-jumps up them or climbs them. Tapping makes him jump higher and the length of time you hold your tap affects how high. Also, if you tap again (or hold?) as Mario is descending from a jump, he will descend a little more slowly, so there is a timing element to that too. It all looks surprisingly deep.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:42:26 AM »
So this game just went live on Android today. Anyone else playing?

Wanna be friends? My ID is 8279-9504-8626.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 01:01:18 AM »
I put a bunch of hours into this game, it was a fun time while it lasted (I bought it when it launched on itunes). Sadly once you get 3000ish toads there is little incentive to continue playing. With that said though I do think I got my money's worth out of the game, I just wish Nintendo would add more stages or something.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
I put a bunch of hours into this game, it was a fun time while it lasted (I bought it when it launched on itunes). Sadly once you get 3000ish toads there is little incentive to continue playing. With that said though I do think I got my money's worth out of the game, I just wish Nintendo would add more stages or something.

Yeah, I was done (and happy) with Mario Run after a couple of weeks.  Seems like now would be a good time to add more (real) content.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
I want to try and beat people's high scores. I beat my friends' scores up to level 4. I'm playing this game more casually, but it is nice to have goals when I do fire it up.
My Game Collection

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 04:05:00 AM »
I finished the main mode of the game, I didnt collect all the coins though. I liked it much more than I thought I thought I would.
I played some Toad Rally today too. I thought it was fun, but I prefer playing though the stages normally.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
Collecting the coins are a very fun challenge and I like that there are three sets of coins.
My Game Collection

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »
And as a motivation if the fun of collecting the coins isn't enough, collecting all of a particular color of coin in every level unlocks one of three difficult challenge levels. So collecting all pink coins in the game unlocks one level, and so forth. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 11:51:08 PM »
Those unlockable bonus levels are the best in the game too.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »
I bought the full game because it finally went on sale. $5 was the line in the sand for me.
An endless runner in the style of New Super Mario Bros? Jebus, Nintendo, you finally made a Mario game I give zero fucks about.
I’m willing to eat crow and admit that I actually enjoy Super Mario Run. I’d never choose it over a traditional 2D Mario platformer (except maybe New Super Mario Bros. 2 *rimshot*), but it’s more than competent. I feel like the touch controls have caused some mistakes at first, but the game is generally designed around them. Vaulting over most enemies (spiked and ghost enemies are the main exceptions) solves most of these issues. There are a few occasions when you need precision, but muscle memory helps you use the touch screen for gaming purposes. Texting and crudely drawn penises require different kinds of movements and taps. I’m thoroughly surprised by how well Mario gameplay translates to touch controls. It doesn’t compare to using a traditional controller though if those are your expectations, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

Anyway, Remix 10 is a lot of fun. You play through sets of 10 extremely short random, remixed stages in a row. When you die, you simply revert to small Mario and lose any Rainbow Coins you collected in that stage (all Rainbow Coins collected in the set are retained unless you die on the rare boss fight then you have to redo the entire set which again, are randomized except for special stages). Nintendo put Daisy behind a pretty egregious completion wall. She’s in Area 30. One set costs one Rally Ticket. You’ll need at least 80 to save Daisy.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:36:52 AM by Adrock »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »
Play as Daisy?! I'm probably going to get this game now.....
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »
I really like Remix 10. Its a much better mode than Toad Rally.
I think Im up to the 5th area now, so still a long way to go before unlocking Daisy

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 10:05:41 PM »
I got this when it originally released. Need to get back to it to enjoy the new content.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 10:51:21 PM »
Oh, hey! Forgot about this. Probably missed out on the sale. :(

Welp. Life moves on.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
Will this game ever release on a Nintendo system? Or is that missing the point?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
might be missing the point.  Once you put in on a system with buttons, you might as well adjust the controls.  And once you do that, it's a completely different game.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
I suppose one can still play Super Mario Run on Switch without the Joy-Cons attached. I don’t think it’d be the same as playing on a smartphone though the game is playable on tablets and that seems equally as clumsy to me. The entire point seemed to be that you can play the game holding a device with one hand.

Anyway, I’ve mostly completed Super Mario Run. I have all the Black Coins in the regular tour mode as well as the extra levels upon saving Peach. The special Black Pipe stage is not possible with Daisy because of her double jump. The stage was designed around expert use of Mario’s New Super Mario Bros. mid-air spin move while Daisy’s double jump gives her extra height. I probably won’t revisit that stage. Ultimately, it was a pretty fun game and a great value at $5.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »
It would be a pretty easy thing to add to the Club Nintendo My Nintendo rewards. It would be easy enough to port over and be a nice freebie for Switch owners. You could play the game with the system on its side and no attached joycons.
My Game Collection