Author Topic: Which SINGLE 3DS Title Would You Like To See Sequel To?  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Which SINGLE 3DS Title Would You Like To See Sequel To?
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
Retail or eshop. Please only pick one so we're not just making lists. I'm more interested in why you picked what you picked and what you'd like to see in a sequel.

Seriously, kytim, ONE.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D lately. I didn't put much time in it when I originally bought it then a friend suggested co-op on a whim a few weeks ago. It's hardly my favorite 3DS game, off the top of my head, I think Resident Evil: Revelaitons and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate share the top spot.

I've previously said I liked Raid Mode in Revelaitons better, but I've gained a new appreciation for The Mercenaries 3D. I think both modes are really appropriate for a handheld because most of the stages can be completed in under 20 minutes. Revelaitons split the game into fairly short, more easily consumable chapters with plot recaps because it was on 3DS though I also like not having to pay attention to a story, partly because Resident Evil's overall plot isn't that great though mostly because taking that aspect out allows me to focus on a quick match.

I wouldn't mind a mash-up of Raid and Mercenaries in a sequel where some stages have players working toward a central goal/end point while others have players mowing through waves of enemies, trying to reach a high score. I think that would give a sequel more variety as the original felt light in actual content though there was tons of replay value.

Obviously, I want more content: more characters, enemies, stages, skills, loadouts etc. I think a sequel (like most others) would greatly benefit from the developers' greater understanding of the hardware. The Mercenaries 3D definitely had areas that required more tweaking. If you performed a Melee move while an enemy was getting up, it got cancelled out entirely (I believe the hit detection was handled better in the bonus Mercenaries modes in both Resident Evil 4 and 5). Additionally, melee moves often moved the camera awkwardly. Ideally, I'd like to see a sequel pull from the entire series, not just Resident Evil 4 and 5. That would mean Capcom would, for example, have to create Mercenaries/Raid mansion and Raccoon City stages.

I realize this could be done on a console, but The Mercenaries 3D was a 3DS title so you know, here we are.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Which SINGLE 3DS Title Would You Like To See Sequel To?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
Most of the things on 3DS I'd really want a sequel to have already gotten them, or at least had them announced. I will say, though, while it doesn't really count, that I'd really like to see a sequel to Ocarina of Time 3D in the form of Majora's Mask 3D. I've never played that game but everybody raves about it and I'd want to play it with the enhancements OoT 3D had.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
If i have to choose just one, then Kid Icarus.

If i can choose three, then make sequel to Kid Icarus, then do third game and then yet another, fourth Kid Icarus game.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Weetrick

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
Definitely Attack of the Friday Monsters! I would love to see an expanded sequel with refined game mechanics. The card collecting/battling system had a lot of potential but didn't really go anywhere.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
New Super Mario *gets shot*

Actual answer: HarmoKnight, with bonus XY stages and a fairer difficulty on the boss stages.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:19:45 AM »
I want a traditional 2D Castlevania game. The last one to come out was Order of Ecclesia in 2008. Six years ago.

(I tried the demo for Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate and wasn't impressed.)
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »
I will say, though, while it doesn't really count, that I'd really like to see a sequel to Ocarina of Time 3D in the form of Majora's Mask 3D.

This. If Majora's Mask were given the same technical treatment that OOT was, it would really make that game shine.
Gouge away.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
I will say, though, while it doesn't really count, that I'd really like to see a sequel to Ocarina of Time 3D in the form of Majora's Mask 3D.

This. If Majora's Mask were given the same technical treatment that OOT was, it would really make that game shine.

I want this game even more as I play through Ocarina of Time 3D.

But for original titles, I really want to see a sequel to The World ends With You. Loved the gameplay and there is a lot of potential room to grow the game and the world it created.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:37 AM »
This is a very tough question to answer. There are numerous games that deserve sequels for the 3DS. However, since I can only choose one game it will have to be Retro City Rampage. The game is coming out this month but it diserves a sequel, and one most of all on the 3DS. The first game felt too shor and it practically begged for a sequel.

I agree with Adrock's choice.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »
You know, I was going to berate you for not choosing a 3DS exclusive... until I realized that Adrock had not specified if it had to be an exclusive.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 05:58:23 PM »
He does say 3DS in the title. Though DS and 3DS go hand-in-hand when it comes to sequels.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »
I'd love to see a sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising, but it wouldn't have to be relegated to the 3DS-- it could be on the Wii U even.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »
Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure!

No other game I've played on the 3DS sparked that joy of being a gamer and embracing a title, faults and all as Rhythm Thief.

The story ends with plot threads to be picked up in a sequel. Obviously, the developers are hoping to continue it and make more.

The game reminded me a bit of F-Zero GX with the great fusion of Nintendo and Sega put together. It was the Sega cool mixing in Nintendo ideas of Professor Layton, Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Heaven. Although it wasn't the perfect package like GX with a few faults or ideas that could have been handled better (like most Sega products these days), those didn't deter my enjoyment from the game.

I keep showing this game to other people in the hopes that playing it will get them to buy it and with more sales, hopefully get it to a sequel.

I love the ideas this game had for rhythm challenges like playing the violin, beautiful ballroom dancing, breaking and entering, dog mauling, fist-fights, sword fights and gunfights. (What?! That list went south in a hurry. Yet it's all true.) Even some references to Samba de Amigo and Feel the Magic/Rub Rabbits! My life is so much better for having played this. The majority of songs were fun and jaunty to listen to and play along with.

And, of course, I should mention the great character leads in Phantom R, Fondue, Maria, Charlie and Vergeir. Just a great cast and as silly as it sounds, I thought Phantom R would actually fit in perfect with Smash Bros. and could totally see him working in that game. But alas, I'd probably have to wait for Sega All-Stars Wrestling to ever see that as a partial reality. Hmmm. AiAi beating up Danica Patrick. That would get the internet a buzzing. Still, forget that off-topic point. Characters were great and I loved the 3D animation sequences. That's style!

All said, I do worry about a sequel. In my mind, I could see this as a great series of Phantom R hoping to famous city after famous city. In this game, you explored the streets of Paris and saw all sorts of famous landmarks from the city as well as dealt with the mystery behind an ancient Babylonian artifact and met the lovely Maria and helped solve her crisis at the same time. Next game, he could go to London, for instance, and explore all the landmarks of that city while solving another artifact mystery and maybe meeting a new woman helper while Charlie and Vergier continue the hunt for him. It could become a sort of Rhythm James Bond type series. This in turn may lead to new ideas for Rhythm games by being in a different setting.

As it stands, with the way things are left in the end, it would seem that if another sequel happened, it would be set in Paris still which I think is a mistake. After having explored the locale once, to do it all over again would diminish any freshness a sequel may have and I think make it harder to find new ground. That's my take on the subject.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Dow Jones

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Add Me!

NNID: skyeevans
3DS: 5370-0428-0148
PSN: dowjonesreno
Tumblr: theskyefiles
Twitter: dowjonesreno
XBL: skyeevans

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 12:33:47 PM »
Elite Beat Agents on a technicality.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
Not to be a d***, but if I had to choose one game I really don't want to see a sequel to it would Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I'm still confident that History with prove me correct. That game is terrible.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
I'd like to be able to play Kid Icarus Uprising with Wii pointer controls, because that seems like it might actually work well. Give me a reverse-DKCR.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »
I would like a Luigi's Mansion 3, but on the Wii U.

One of the first ideas I thought about with the Wiimote was a Luigi's Mansion game, and how cool it would be to use the pointer to control the flashlight and shine it on everything. Using it for the vacuum should work out nicely as well. Needless to say I was disappointed in the reveal that Luigi's Mansion 2 was on 3DS, but it still ended up a great game so I was okay with it in the end. I would still like to see one that used the Wiimote though, which would have to be on the Wii U now. The 3DS game felt more action-based, so I'd like to see a return to more exploration and finding hidden items, ghosts, and secrets, and exploring huge mansions.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »
I'd like to be able to play Kid Icarus Uprising with Wii pointer controls, because that seems like it might actually work well. Give me a reverse-DKCR.
Moving wiimote as fast as 9 difficulty requires would be way too taxing for anyone. And ground sections would suffer even more because you need fast and relatively precise camera controls and that's hard to do if you do it with motion control.

Also seeing people who can't get into Kid Icarus fills me with sorrow. For them.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 09:41:14 AM »
Since it's just a one button game you could shoot with the B button on the remote and have some degree of camera control using the d-pad.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
I can see the D-Pad offering an additional degree of control over the camera, but as long as 'z-targeting' and an intelligent camera were combined, additional control of the camera might not even be required. It would of course mean re-designing the whole game, but in my opinion that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
By the way, I like the 3DS version of the game, and I was okay with the controls the way they were, but they still weren't great. I agree that Wii pointer controls wouldn't necessarily work that well, and would go as far as to say that there may not be any control mechanism that could be considered ideal.

J.P. Corbran

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 01:52:41 AM »
Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure!

Hell yeah.   Everything Khush said.   The music, the characters, the insane "I can outdo Layton" story.   Loved the soccer minigame.

And yeah, I will also agree with everyone's sentiments about Uprising.  Definitely ragged on way more than it deserves.   After chapter....oh, 12, maybe, the game really starts firing on all cylinders.   

But I will add that another game deserving of a sequel is Crimson Shroud.   So good.   I've been thinking about it again since I heard the Matsuno episode of Retronauts last week (great episode, btw).
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 05:27:17 PM »
When I started reading this thread, I began to think what would I like to see a sequel to and began thinking through a bunch of the games I've played on 3DS. One of the first things that came to mind was Super Mario 3D Land. Some users have been talking about the game again in the General Gaming section of games you've beat/played recently. I know it got a sequel on the Wii U yet something about the Wii U version just wasn't quite as enjoyable as the 3DS version. Maybe it was the focus on allowing multiple players compared to the 3DS single player focus. Maybe it was the lack of actual 3D that the 3DS can give. Or maybe the original just had a bit more originality to it at the time that the Wii U version felt a bit similar in which case another sequel may not on the 3DS may not be as good either.

But then I remembered Rhythm Thief and knew my answer. And then I saw that I had posted about Rhythm Thief years ago as well and forgot all about it. It's good to know my past self and present self are in agreement. So get it together future self!  >:( Always letting down the team. It is still a game that if a sequel was announced today, I would be super pumped to play.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much hope for Kid Icarus fans at the moment. But it does remind me how I need to dive into that game soon one of these days. Have always been curious to play it. Mop it up is getting a Luigi's Mansion 3 but it is on Switch and I don't think her Wiimote idea is going to be implemented although it could maybe still be done with the joycons but that doesn't seem to be a control method Nintendo is bothering to implement in games these days.

Insanolord, Stratos and Pixpix all went with Majora's Mask which did finally get that remake treatment and was even used for the launch of the NEW 3DS. Did you end up playing it? Did your wishes come true? We may not know the answer from Pixpix who's gone MIA like many past users but Insanolord and Stratos still show up on here once in awhile.

MM3D was basically my first time playing it. I say basically because one time I did start the game on the GameCube Zelda collection and got through the opening prologue of Link's transformation and arrival into Clocktown and the title screen but then I saved and never ended up going back into it. All in all, I did like the game a lot. There are things that hold it back from greatness due to the technical limitations of the day and reuse of so many Ocarina models and assets yet if I'm doing a list in ranking the games then I'd put it ahead of OoT.

Any other sequels come out from the requested games mentioned here? Anyone else want to change their answer or provide one for the first time?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
I did not end up playing Majora's Mask 3D even though I bought it.

Mop it up wanted a Luigi's Mansion 3 on Wii U, and it's happening on Switch, but probably won't include the motion/pointer stuff she mentioned.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:19:51 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran