Community Forums > General Chat

For all the Karens

(1/5) > >>

ejamer:
I have some friends named Karen, and they are all good people.

It's really disappointing to have that name be used in general lexicon to mean a stupid or self-entitled person. We (as a society) have realized this with other labels that could be hurtful, and have stopped using them. Why do we suddenly think it's ok to just misappropriate an actual name this way?

So I beg you all, if someone is being a self-entitled moron then call them a self-entitled moron. Break the cycle of hurt that all innocent Karens are currently suffering from.

Thanks, that's my mini-rant of the day.

BlackNMild2k1:
But San Francisco just names a new law after then.
The CAREN Act, making it a hate crime to file a racially motivated false police report.

Adrock:

--- Quote from: ejamer on July 10, 2020, 12:50:00 PM ---We (as a society) have realized this with other labels that could be hurtful, and have stopped using them.
--- End quote ---
The difference is those problematic labels (such as a certain N-word with a hard-R) were created and used specifically to denigrate and devalue entire groups of people, particularly for things they can't change about themselves. "Karen" as a pejorative targets behavior which a person can absolutely change.

--- Quote ---Why do we suddenly think it's ok to just misappropriate an actual name this way?
--- End quote ---
At least partially because it's aimed up, not down. It's mocking the oppressor rather than the oppressed.

Personally, I don't conflate actual slurs with "Karen" as a pejorative. First, you can say one out loud in public without getting looks of horror in your direction. Second, it's universally understood that "Karen" as a pejorative is shorthand for a specific type of entitled, privileged behavior, not every person named Karen whereas slurs are used as a blanket term to disparage and often unfairly assign negative traits to a group of people.

I have seen someone named Karen modify and repurpose a Mean Girls quote: "I'm not like a regular Karen; I'm a cool Karen."

Ian Sane:
If "Ian" became a slang word to describe somebody in a negative way I would be pretty upset about it.  Think about it with your own name and see how you feel about it.

BlackNMild2k1:
Lol

I wonder how all the Marks out there feel.
Just tell your friend Karen's that they are one of the good ones 😉
(And that the "slang" isn't directed at them personally)

Not gonna gonna say it's right that it's happening, or that I don't know what it feels like to have a name/word used to cast you in a negative light.... it's just that this so microscopic in comparison to the discrimination it's being compared against that I just have too many other things on my plate to be worried about right now.

Those actually named Karen should probably just remind everyone that they are named Karen and are not "a Karen" as there is a difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version