Author Topic: Tingle's crown has been STOLEN! (minor TP spoilers)  (Read 7193 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Tingle's crown has been STOLEN! (minor TP spoilers)
« on: January 04, 2007, 06:04:35 PM »
Gäygamer.net ran a top 20 list of homosexual videogame characters. Topping the list was Tingle and the argument for his ranking was definitely a sound one (WARNING: this link starts music playing).

However, and I'm stunned no one has mentioned this yet, Tingle has a challenger and that challenger has likewise stepped forth from the LoZ franchise.

You see, gäy videogame characters aren't anything out of the ordinary. In fact, games like Fable, Fallouts 1 and 2 and the Sims all allow for homosexual marriages without drawing much attention. It wasn't the fact that Tingle was perceived as gäy which earned him the top spot. It was the fact that he was insanely over the top in his fruitiness which beat out all competitors, male and female alike.

But as I said, a challenger approaches! Ladies and gentlemen, meet Falbi!

As if Falbi's attire and appearance weren't suggestive enough, his sassy walk and innuendo-laced dialogue should be.

First of all, the use of the word "fantastication" pretty much buries the needle when it comes to suggestion (though, his somewhat depressed looking partner down in the lake also uses the word). He's also notably disappointed that there's only one "big guy" here to partake in the festivities.

But if that's not enough, one of his following lines absolutely seals the deal.

I apologize if anyone finds this post mean spirited. I'm not intending to make fun of homosexuals in any way, but you can't deny that this innuendo is anything but subtle. In fact, I dare say it's bashing us right over the head.

Though Tingle may have been one fruity little bastard, I don't think he ever had any dialogue that was anywhere NEAR this suggestive, nor was his occupation selling "cucco" rides to strapping young men.

The torch, my friends, has been passed.    
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Tingle's crown has been STOLEN! (minor TP spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 06:14:48 PM »
...And I was there to witness it!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »
You witnessed Link grabbing a cock? o:
GOREGASM!

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »
OH MY GOD!

I HAVE YET TO PLAY TP, but is that what Link looks like after he gets his water tunic?!

Holy shite that's badass!
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »
Yes that's what he looks like.

Also i reckon that hero chick in the bar is a dyke to
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 01:11:42 AM »
I don't think she is, she has the hots for Link, or at least that is what I got out of it.

Link's water tunic is the best ever... no mere palate swap this time.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 01:22:40 AM »
It's also strongly hinted that she has the hots for Renado.

But this could all be a cover-up.  Renado says he can't stand her and, obviously, Link's way to young for her.  Perhaps her way is to "like" people she knows she doesn't have a chance with - thus it maintains her image and she can stay in the closet.  Perhaps.  
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 02:50:04 AM »
I think you're talking about different people

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:25:32 AM »
Yeah, I think RableteenDays is talking about Ashei, my favourite girl in the game.  She is a little butch.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 05:28:31 AM »
Ashei is pure awesome...It's too bad the heroes didn't have more of a role so she'd have a bigger part... =D

And I could have sworn she even had a line saying that she liked really strong men somewhere in the game, which would go against the dyke theory...Can anyone remember/confirm/disconfirm?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 05:37:48 AM »
I'm watching Pap play through the GC version of the game right now. I'll keep my eyes open.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 05:54:17 AM »
Falbi's cool and all, but he's no Tingle.

And was it just me, or did the sound he made when he talked sound an awful lot like Big Homosexual Al?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 07:37:18 AM »
I think the guy in the Star game is a Tingle Descendant.  Upon reaching Middle Age take over the Tingle Mantel.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
RE:Tingle's crown has been STOLEN! (minor TP spoilers)
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 02:30:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I think the guy in the Star game is a Tingle Descendant.  Upon reaching Middle Age take over the Tingle Mantel.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

As for Ashei, I didn't see her saying that anywhere in the game but I could be wrong

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:03:51 AM »
I didn't think that line about grabbing a cucco was suggestive at all.  Chickens in Zelda games have been called cuccos for as long as I can remember, and I think different color cuccos in TP have different falling rates.  Calling Link "Big guy" isn't very suggestive, either, and the complaint about there being just one seemed to me to be more about how weird Link is for going to an amusement ride alone.  Imagine how weird it would be for someone to go to Disneyland alone.

I agree that Falbi is fruity.  I disagree that he's fruitier than Tingle.  I also disagree that fruity=gay in the bizarre Japanese-influenced fantasy medieval Europe-like land of Hyrule.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 07:53:26 AM »
TP was such a money-hungry game that it would have made Tingle proud, he didn't need an appearance at all, his capitalist spirit was all over the place, hell the game even has an armor that runs on rupees!

And the fact that people haven't made such a big deal about Falbi, who's fruitness is beyond comparison, makes more of a sure thing to me that Tingle is hated not for his fruitness, which I honestly never noticed, but for much more obscure reasons, like the ones exposed here  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 08:32:04 AM »
I like Tingle because he's so strange. (It never even entered my mind to question his sexuality.)  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 01:23:28 AM »
Tingle RULES. Like Nitsu above, I like Tingle because he is a really bizarre and interesting character. Not once have I ever really considered his sexuality. I don't really get the Tingle hate, especially if it is linked to sexuality. He is just supposed to be a fun character that gives Zelda that extra bit of character, and I think he functions well in that role.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 06:38:18 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
Tingle RULES. Like Nitsu above, I like Tingle because he is a really bizarre and interesting character. Not once have I ever really considered his sexuality. I don't really get the Tingle hate, especially if it is linked to sexuality. He is just supposed to be a fun character that gives Zelda that extra bit of character, and I think he functions well in that role.

I think Tingle is just a character everyone loves to hate.

I personally don't have a problem with him, but I love abusing and making fun of him as much as the next guy.

Me and SB had a BLAST sending Tingle to his doom in Four swords adventure. That wouldn't have happened if we did it to another character.

Tingle just gives that charm, know what I am saying?

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 08:20:24 PM »
Eh, just because a character is fruity, effeminate, or unwilling to grow up doesn't make them a homosexual.  I remember people talking about the carpenters in OoT and to this day I see no reason to think of them as anything other than lazy and childish.  

Falbi's dress and mannerisms are certainly the most effeminate, but his speech (ONE BIG GUY) is more like an annoying relative talking down to you like you're three years old. I can't even figure out how the Cucco comment is supposed to be suggestive.  :-P
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline chris+pie=joy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Eh, just because a character is fruity, effeminate, or unwilling to grow up doesn't make them a homosexual.  I remember people talking about the carpenters in OoT and to this day I see no reason to think of them as anything other than lazy and childish.  

Falbi's dress and mannerisms are certainly the most effeminate, but his speech (ONE BIG GUY) is more like an annoying relative talking down to you like you're three years old. I can't even figure out how the Cucco comment is supposed to be suggestive.  :-P

...sure it does acutaly....most of the people in zelda apperar as homosexuals in my eyes....like link for instance...
the girls love him but does he like them back??big, fat NO..the yeti seems like the only charactor in TP that seems straight to me....dont get me wrong i love the zelda series but....yea
i like pie

---------------------------

Wii#:4754-2377-2559-3244

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 04:15:22 PM »
"most of the people in zelda apperar as homosexuals in my eyes....like link for instance..."

Wind Waker Link "blushes" (according to Beedle's point of view) when Beedle brings up Tetra...Nice try...

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »
When does Beedle talk abou Tetra? Isn't he the salesperson?
Thanks for listening.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 04:12:13 AM »
TP Link has a photo of Fado in his house... are they brothers? because I cannot find any other explanation of why he would have such photo instead of one of Illia, except... you know...

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »

[When does Beedle talk abou Tetra? Isn't he the salesperson?

After getting Nayru's pearl, go to Beedle's ship and he will have bombs for sale...He'll bring up the pirates and their captain...

TP Link has a photo of Fado in his house... are they brothers? because I cannot find any other explanation of why he would have such photo instead of one of Illia, except... you know...

He also has a picture of all three little kids too...UH OH! =)