Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations  (Read 196050 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Game Nominations
« Reply #400 on: September 22, 2011, 02:32:33 AM »
Is there a list of games you guys have already done somewhere? Has Super Metroid already been done?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 22, 2011, 02:33:02 AM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day or Turtles in Time.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 22, 2011, 03:07:13 AM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day or Turtles in Time.

Unfortunately, Conker's a game that's pretty hard to get ahold of for most people.  I'm not sure the Xbox version is even compatible with the 360, and I've heard very few good things about that port.  People would have to track down the original N64 cart, so I don't see more than a few people doing that.  It would make for good discussion, though.

As for Turtles in Time, I loved the SNES version of that game but that game's just too hard to come by legally these days.  The less said about the PSN/XBLA version, the better, and you haven't already purchased that version you can't now because it was pulled from the download services.  That leaves purchasing an original SNES cart, which once again few people will do.  Besides, there's not a lot of great discussion to be had for a 90s beat 'em up you can finish in an hour.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2011, 08:25:20 AM »
Is there a list of games you guys have already done somewhere? Has Super Metroid already been done?

1. Dynamite Heddy (GEN)
2. Luigi's Mansion (GCN)
3. Eternal Darkness (GCN)
4. Secret of Mana (SNES)
5. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)
6. Zelda II (NES)
7. Ninja Spirit (TG16)
8. Super Mario World (SNES)
9. Geist (GCN)
10. Shining Force II (GEN)
11. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
12. Metroid II (Game Boy)
13. Mother 3 (GBA)
14. Yoshi's Story (N64)
15. The World Ends With You (DS)
16. Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
17. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
18. Perfect Dark (N64)
19. Killer 7 (GCN)

There was a Super Metroid retrospective episode as well, but it's not officially a RetroActive game.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #404 on: September 22, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
How about a second-tier platformer theme? Non-mario, dk or sonic. (rayman game, spyro/crash, billy hatcher, billy hatcher,...)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 22, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
How about a second-tier platformer theme? Non-mario, dk or sonic. (rayman game, spyro/crash, billy hatcher, billy hatcher,...)
I like this idea. Rayman 2 is a fantastic game, and all I can ever remember hearing about it on the podcast is pure vitriol from James at the lazy ports. They may be lazy, but it's a damn good game and with all the ports it's relatively easy to get hold of, despite not being on the VC.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
I like this idea. Rayman 2 is a fantastic game, and all I can ever remember hearing about it on the podcast is pure vitriol from James at the lazy ports. They may be lazy, but it's a damn good game and with all the ports it's relatively easy to get hold of, despite not being on the VC.

Rayman 2? No. Get out.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
I like the Rayman 2 idea, only the poll should be populated exclusively by the different ports of the game.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
Turok 1 or 2. Flawed, yes, but effing awesome all the same.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »

Some games I'm interested in playing that could make for interesting conversation.  Castlevania: Rondo of Blood -  It's on the VC, PSP and maybe someone out there could talk about Dracula X.  Mega Man X - Maybe there's been enough conversation about this game on recent podcasts already?  Another idea would be one of those Mario Tennis games mentioned on a recent podcast.  I haven't played any of them, but they sound interesting.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »
I have to agree with Rondo of Blood getting a nomination at some point, as it's a game with a surprising amount of depths and secrets considering how basic it appears.  There could be some interesting discussion comparing the 3 versions of the game: the TurboGraffix/Virtual Console version, the SNES "Dracula X" version, and the PSP version (which I have played, and it's pretty decent if extremely odd to look at with the polygonal graphics).

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
On the second-tier front, I'd like to nominate the Hobbit.  It's a decentish Gamecube platformer (of the Zelda-clone persuasion) that has good music, and it still can be obtained fairly cheaply.  Also, Viewtiful Joe...

Two more recent Wii third-party games I'd be interested in nominating: A Boy and His Blob, and Little King's Story.  I didn't complete the former and haven't played the latter.

Also, I'd still like to nominate Majora's Mask for some point in the future, but I could understand that there will probably be a good deal of Zelda fatigue at this point, anyway...or at least by the time everyone has played through Skyward Sword.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2011, 03:16:58 AM »
A sports theme might work too, actually. We haven't really had a sport or puzzle game retroactive. Might not be lots to mine for discussion for these genres though, especially if folks can't do multiplayer.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2011, 09:54:14 AM »
Meteos :D

Excitebot :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #414 on: September 23, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, there are some great new suggestions already. This is a permanent thread so posts are always welcome, but FYI, we'll probably decide on the nominees by Thursday 9/29.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
Resident Evil 4.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:59 PM »
Shame Whomp'em isn't on the VC.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
Resident Evil 4.

RE4's had more than enough love over the years.  Leave RetroActive to games that have actually been overlooked and need some extra exposure.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2011, 04:31:18 AM »
Donkey Kong '94? Yeah, it's Mario but it's not that well known as shown by all the "oh, THAT's what it is?" posts when the game got released on the VC.

Giana Sisters DS!

Brothers in Arms DS is a nice third person shooter that few people really know about.

Or Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge on the GB. I want to hear the cursing!

Offline twiggy426

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 24, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
Pokemon Gold and Silver for Gameboy Colour!

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #420 on: September 24, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
I like the idea of second-tier platformer/mascot games. There's a copy of Billy Hatcher sitting at my local GameStop and I keep eyeing it....  would love a reason to pick it up (other than, you know, maybe I should anyway and just play it).
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 24, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
I'm terrible at thinking of retroactive games. I'm also guessing Ninja Five-O is a complete no-go due to its rarity.

Second tier platformers... Death Jr and Sonic Secret Rings are on my shelf. Second tier Gamecube games I liked are Gotcha Force and the Lost Kingdoms games. But I'm probably repeating myself on those.

NES Metroid?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #422 on: September 24, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
Pokemon Gold and Silver for Gameboy Colour!

It's going to have rarity issues because 90% of the copies now have dead save batteries. Plus, Jonny will no doubt point out that you can play Black/White and get the same effect.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kikori

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »
Is there anyone who have played Mendel Palace?
This is the first game by Game Freak, and the only indie NES game published officially.
Minoru Yamaizumi

Offline Dropkik

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 26, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
It's Zelda's 25th anniversary, and I'd love a 3 hour retroactive on Majora's Mask or Wind Waker (aka the best Zelda games), but for the sake of variety, Starfox Adventures would be...Interesting.
Dancing on the rain-slicked precipice of pretension