Author Topic: Streaming Services Getting Hit Hard Lately: Another Industry on Deathwatch?  (Read 62355 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
So, Playstation Vue is getting shut down.  It'll end in January of 2020.  The live cable alternative cost its 500K users $50/month which was on par with other services.  However, competition was too stiff.  This is notable as one of the first big streaming services to bite the dust.  However, it remains to be seen if this is a one-off or the canary in the coal mine.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I mean it kinda started with Hulu and that was essentially the second streaming service most people knew about. After that with the success of Hulu and Netflix everyone wanted to follow suit and have their own services so that company could have the profits. Now it is like everyone has their own streaming services and it is fracturing the market and exclusive content is being cordoned off into their own streaming services and I feel one by one the dominos are going to fall down and that will be that.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I have no idea how things will end up, but I tend to agree that the rush for every content owner to have their own service (subsequently making all services less valuable to consumers because content is kept exclusively in small silos) is going to cause problems in the near term.

At the very least, it's going to reduce the sense of loyalty that consumers have to various services. Already I feel like we might start looking at streaming services as "on demand rentals" where we subscribe for a month or two to get the content we want and then move on.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Dang millenials are killing another industry!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Sure... blame the new guy.
 ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Dang millenials are killing another industry!

;)

Good golly, Miss Molly! That is brilliant. I'm going to be applauding you for days for that remark. *chef's kiss*
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
In line with what BShy is saying, I think we're going to start seeing some consolidation in the stream wars.  At any price point, people want at least some exclusive offerings, since that's the only way to offer any distinction in the market, so anyone without exclusive content will likely fall first. 

TV markets usually have one or two providers and then a satellite option.  I think the cable replacement will fall in line with that.  There really doesn't need to be more than just 2-3 players on that front and we have Sling, Hulu Live, and YouTube TV.  Two of those have enough backing to survive competition, so Sling may have to become a price leader. 

Hulu has the advantage of Disney bundles, and I guess YouTube has exclusive content.  If everyone else shies away from live cable, they can still exist as supplements/add-ons.  Kinda like how premium cable is now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
To add onto my point a little bit more. I think the major reason streaming services took off was because of the high prices of the cable packages and so the streaming services came at the right time and price to take off.  So with all these options for streaming services it might be that prices increase to show they have the best exclusive content. The "you get what you pay for" axiom.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
... *chef's kiss*

If you want, you can send cash instead of applause.
Or apple sauce instead of applause. That's good too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
 ;)

Hey, I got no beef with Gen Z Zoomers.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming Services Getting Hit Hard Lately: Another Industry on Deathwatch?
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:06:28 AM »
Cynical take: lots of providers now have an incentive to quickly slap a cheap streaming service of their own together, temporarily park all their valuable IP on there, with the possible end-goal of it being bought for billions when market consolidation occurs.

Even if you're not in it for the long haul, rigging up a barely functional platform and putting stuff like FRIENDS or the Office on there will make it a much more expensive buy/license for the big players, then just negotiating a fixed-term contract to license out a single show.
Investing a bit more in your slapdash platform now and pursuing acquisition instead of long-term operation can increase the value from millions to billions, purely because it seems like you need to buy out an entrenched position now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
I saw a post on my FB feed the other day showing that having a subscription to all of the streaming services costs $90.91. So that is more than cable.

HBO Max: 14.99
Netflix:12.99
Hulu:11.99
Showtime:10.99
CBS:9.99
Prime Video:8.99
STARZ:8.99
Disney+: 6.99
Apple TV+:4.99

Question is who has that time to use all these options and the money to do so. Presumidly one would be at work to pay for the services but you might not have enough time to use all these services.  Its a weird thing.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »
A better question is who would subscribe to all those at once when at best you'll only need/use 3-5 of them at a time...?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:59:20 PM »
A better question is who would subscribe to all those at once when at best you'll only need/use 3-5 of them at a time...?
Someone with a lot of time on their hands.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »
I saw a post on my FB feed the other day showing that having a subscription to all of the streaming services costs $90.91. So that is more than cable.

HBO Max: 14.99
Hulu:11.99
Showtime:10.99
CBS:9.99
STARZ:8.99

That seems like a lot compared to a cable subscription of $50-60*, but HBO adds an extra $15 to cable, Starz and Showtime are like $10 each?  And Apple TV+ is pretty much all exclusives, which you can take or leave, since it's new.  But D+ is exclusive and of known quality.  You can watch some old Marvel movies on TNT, but that's not the same as having it to stream whenever.  I think you kind of end up breaking even with all of these combined over cable, and there's the added benefit of never dealing with the cable company (except for internet).

*The last time I priced cable in my area, the most reasonable package was at least an extra $60/month, which is why I ended up getting Hulu Live.  And this was bundling with my internet plan.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »

Frankly, we can't even watch everything from a single streaming service. Due to content differences, it's possible that we'll have 2 at a time (on and off), but anything more would be wasted on us...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 03:34:55 PM »
Could VUDU also be in trouble!?

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/walmart-is-reportedly-considering-selling-vudu/

please no. I put all my eggs into vudu. Part of the reason I mostly  used them as opposed to the other services is they were tied to Walmart. A company not going anywhere anytime soon.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 04:41:50 AM »
I put all my eggs in Apple iTunes for the reason I thought Apple would never be going anywhere. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:09 PM »
Well, you were right about the Apple part (so far). #RIPiTunes

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 02:45:05 AM »
Polygon did a really good article showcasing all the streaming services out there. 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/7/20903616/best-streaming-service-netflix-hulu-amazon-disney-plus-hbo-comparison-shows

For me personally I haven't had any of the major streaming services for several years. Netflix was the last one 3 years ago. Just before I moved out to Arizona from California.

From those listed I would have to say if I were to dip my toe back in I would go for Crunchyroll, Disney+, Hulu, Shudder, and Mubi I think I would go for. Maybe not all at once but for sure I would have Hulu and Crunchyroll.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »

This problem is almost exclusively a US one. Above are the only UK ones (plus Crunchyroll). All the terrestrial platforms (iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5) are free to use with only the BBC content, indeed ANY TV watching, requiring a £150/year "TV licence" which pays for the BBC operation - which is incredibly cheap given the amount of content they put out.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 01:16:11 AM »

This problem is almost exclusively a US one. Above are the only UK ones (plus Crunchyroll). All the terrestrial platforms (iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5) are free to use with only the BBC content, indeed ANY TV watching, requiring a £150/year "TV licence" which pays for the BBC operation - which is incredibly cheap given the amount of content they put out.
I think that the above services are based in California, mainly in Silicon Valley, so I think there are different contracts for the USA as opposed to international countries where there may be different studios, trademarks, copyrights to deal with.   I know there was a time where the Classic Doctor Who was hard to get on Netflix and it was a big deal when it finally arrived on the service in the US.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
got an email

Hi Vudu customers,

We have some exciting news to share with you!

Vudu has entered into an agreement to be acquired by Fandango, the ultimate digital network for all things movies & TV.

While there will be many more exciting things to share in the months ahead, nothing about the Vudu experience is changing - your movie & TV library is safe, and you will continue to have access to all your Vudu apps across your favorite devices.

Vudu will continue to deliver an amazing experience, and we promise that the future will bring more new features, offerings, and other benefits as we join the Fandango family. In the meantime, you can find more details here.

Sincerely,
Vudu team

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I'm pretty sure the streaming service industry just got a booster shot in the arm. LOL

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 12:39:23 AM »
While not going out of business, Hulu Live TV is getting its second price bump in less than a year.  This bring the Live TV up to $65, and the ad-free option to $71/month.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2020, 12:49:50 AM »
All the cable replacement streaming services have been raising prices. I know YouTube TV had a couple recent bumps too. The networks keep jacking up their prices and the services have to either pass that on or drop channels, which people hate too.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 05:47:00 AM »
almost defeats the purpose of cutting the cable in the first place.....

we originally did it because we were getting passed on the cost of a bunch of stuff we didn't want, need, nor watch.

now we get the ability to choose what to watch and when and where, but cost are so high now, that we are being passed on the cost of a bunch of stuff we don't need, want or watch.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »
I feel like the networks are still trying to recoup costs from their unprofitable channels that people were running from when they went to streaming.

The only saving grace left to be had is that the streaming platforms still have better customer service than cable.  While it's virtually non-existent for Hulu (I'll randomly lose channels with no explanation or compensation afterwards) it's still better than dealing with a cable company that charges you to rent dated hardware and makes you schedule time-consuming installations.  But we'll see how long cable's shitty reputation in that regard can carry streaming platforms.  I already have to go through Cox for my internet, so if the cable ends up being cheaper, then I might as well switch back.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 07:31:08 PM »
The problem is that almost all the channels are owned by like four companies, and they insist on bundling them all together in deals like this. What people really want is to be able to pick and choose which specific channels they get, but Disney/Viacom/etc. won't allow that. Really, all I care about is six channels, and if I could just get those for a reasonable price that would be great, but that's not going to be an option anytime soon.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 03:02:12 PM »
I still think you get way more value out of cord cutting. Cable was made stupid when you realized you didn't have to wait for the network heads to decide when and at what time you could watch your shows. Netflix and Hulu weren't even my first source of streaming. It was a website called Stage66 or 66stage. That was popular in like 2007. They had ridiculous numbers of movies, I mostly watched Gialo and Italian zombie movies at the time.

But pretty much between Disney+Hulu, Netflix, and HBO Max you should be covered with archive movies and tv shows. Whenever you want movies on some other services you can always do a free subscription or a one month and have the benefit of being able to watch other movie libraries too. The only channels you need to be live are news and sports channels. Movies I'm going to watch over and over again I just buy. I can't rely on streaming services to always have The Thing. I need to buy the Shining digital copy.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »
Nobody talked about the short rise and fall of billion dollar Quibi in this thread? There was an example of a streaming service getting hit hard.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
The less said about Quibi the better.

Honestly though. I don't watch movies and TV shows on my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2020, 07:06:07 PM »
Quibi was a bad idea in general, but it was especially bad this year when people are spending a lot more time at home where they can just watch things on a big TV instead. They didn't even have apps for TV-connected devices until the service was almost dead.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 10:51:17 PM »
Nobody talked about the short rise and fall of billion dollar Quibi in this thread? There was an example of a streaming service getting hit hard.

Quibi got what it deserved.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2020, 11:21:45 PM »
I didn't have it, but there was some content on there that was supposed to be somewhat good and I hope it ends up somewhere else where people can see it. Years ago there was a failed streaming service called SeeSo, which was pushed by NBC and was comedy-focused, and they actually had some good original series that became hard to find afterward.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
I've never even heard of SeeSo.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2020, 09:39:04 PM »
I watch Quibi for like 2 minutes and then the next day I cancelled it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »
That brings up an interesting issue.

There is a non-zero amount of media from the stone ages of entertainment that was only preserved through dumb luck, much of it from people who copied it during broadcast.

I'm sure some of this streaming stuff is being bootlegged.  But, like, was Quibi's Reno 911! episodes copied?  Could we end up with a second "dark age" of lost media?  I like to think that the studios, production companies, etc.  are storing all of this for later, but...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2020, 09:17:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure almost everything streamed/broadcast since the 2000's has been recorded somewhere.
and if you know where to look, it's probably not all that hard to find and stream from the comfort of your home or phone.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:34:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
Even if they have it, we could end up in legal conundrums similar to older licensed games like N64's Goledeneye where there are too many hands in the license agreement and too little perceived profit to make them release it now.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2020, 11:44:32 PM »
The Reno 911 episodes are what I'd be least worried about. That's an established show with an established audience, I'm sure they'll end up available somewhere. It's the more obscure original stuff that's less clear.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 04:21:36 PM »
I agree with Insano, any property that companies want the rights to will get scooped up pretty quickly.  Original content on platforms that didn't take off have an uphill battle of looking viable to ongoing platforms. Especially now when there's limited capacity to produce new content.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:09:18 PM by nickmitch »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2020, 02:06:22 AM »
Probably right about Reno, but... it was the only thing I knew about Qubi. 🤣
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2020, 03:25:58 PM »
They also brought back Punk'd, which. . .I just don't think works with today's generation of celebrities.  They had ten episodes and I've heard nothing about them, good or otherwise.

In fact, I've seen more entertainers I like speak about having Quibi deals than about the actual content they were producing.

Quibi was just a joke of a platform.  It was clear early on that the people behind it had no idea what the hell they were doing.  While Disney+ was taking heat for cropping episodes of the Simpsons, they thought it'd make sense to crop entire feature length movies, all because they didn't think people could be bothered to rotate their phones 90 degrees to watch videos on the subway or whatever.  Then they had the audacity to blame the pandemic for their issues despite the fact that no one else in their industry was having that issue.  I still can't believe they raised two billion US dollars for their terrible, terrible business.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2020, 03:33:39 PM »
It would have failed either way, but the pandemic probably didn’t help. A service designed for mobile viewing debuting at a time when people were leaving their house a lot less wasn’t great timing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 03:17:32 AM »
They launched in April, after the pandemic started, and didn't come to set top devices until October.  They added AirPlay in May and Chromecast support in June.  No one who would make such a ridiculous oversight could possibly make anything successful.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2020, 01:43:56 AM »
They launched in April, after the pandemic started, and didn't come to set top devices until October.  They added AirPlay in May and Chromecast support in June.  No one who would make such a ridiculous oversight could possibly make anything successful.

QFT

Quibi Failed Tremendously.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »
Quibi Failed Tremendously.

In all aspects, at every level.

Just think about the content they were producing.  They chopped feature length movies into chunks, when no one was asking for that.  Their big feature of being able to watch content SEEMLESSLY! in both landscape and portrait solved exactly zero problems for anyone and instead created several.  They bought up TV pilots, not because they were particularly good, but because they were available and didn't care if the show worked with the short form format at all.  It's not like there weren't professionals making 11 minute programs successfully.  They also came up with this idea at a time where binge watching was the big thing.  The market was at "Let me watch 20 hours of one TV show over a weekend" and they thought it was heading towards "I only have 9 minutes to watch a program, but every thing is too long! :'(".  Quibi makes me angry.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:51:25 PM by nickmitch »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!