Author Topic: What Do we want from the wii successor  (Read 39159 times)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: What Do we want from the wii successor
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
Channels currently on my Wii:

Disc Channel
Internet Channel
Nintendo Channel
Homebrew Channel

After clearing out now-unnecessary Sonic 3 save and suspend data, I found I had
997 blocks remaining.

Seems like a lot, right?  Well, when you consider that Elebits takes over 100 blocks, Brawl takes 128, Kororinpa 2 takes 76 now, and might expand if I download stages or build my own, as can Brawl, various music games take about 150 all together as buffers for streaming music from the SD card, and a few Wii-Ware saves take up about 50 more total blocks.

Add in the saves that take less than 50 blocks, which there are a few, like Animal Crossing, and I don't have much space left.  For those not in the know, the Homebrew Channel is 9 blocks on my Wii, and everything to do with it runs off my SD card.  The internet and Nintendo Channel could be moved to my SD card easily enough, since I don't use them often, freeing up about 350 more blocks.  Once I do that, I have space for 12 more 100+ game saves, if I don't download content from the internet, which can't be moved to the SD card and used in-game in most cases I'm aware of.

Sure, I haven't run out of that space yet, and I'm a bit away from that point, but it's conceivable I could hit that wall in the next year or two, especially since I don't even have gamesaves for all my games, and with Pixlbit, I do definitely plan to go back to many of those games for review rewinds.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
I'm considering removing the Mario Kart Channel because it's redundant and takes up space.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
I should get rid of my Mii channel(s) and the everybody poops channel, because I never use those and I'm sure they take up a lot of space. But then again, I have plenty of free space so its not an issue for me at the moment. But if it ever does become an issue, I would remove those channels in a heartbeat.
is your sanity...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »
I should get rid of my Mii channel(s) and the everybody poops channel, because I never use those and I'm sure they take up a lot of space. But then again, I have plenty of free space so its not an issue for me at the moment. But if it ever does become an issue, I would remove those channels in a heartbeat.
What makes you think this post has any value to anyone but yourself?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »
i thought it was funny, Value +!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
What makes you think this post has any value to anyone but yourself?

I never said it was.

So what makes your snide post of value to anyone? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed today? Geez...
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »
vudu's a dick. just ignore him.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »
Could a Tegra chip find its way into the next wii system?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2010, 02:39:50 AM »
Do you actually know anything about what you're asking, or even the impact receiving an answer could have on your perception of Nintendo's next console and its capabilities?

I'm just curious to know, is all.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »
I was doing some data management on my Wii console and I thought of some features I'd like to see in the next console.  (All of these assume the next system will have an SD slot.)

I want a better way of backing up my save data.
  • I want to be able to see save file game progress and/or last modify date from the system menu.  While copying save files to an SD card there's no way to determine if the file on your system is newer than the one on your SD card.  Very problematic if you can't recall the last time you created a back up.
  • I want the ability to overwrite SD save data.  Currently if you want to update a backed up save file the only way to do it is to delete it from your SD card and then recopy it.  Annoying.
  • I want to be able to copy and back up all save files.  None of this can't copy online game saves or can't copy certain VC game saves bullshit.  Let me back up my stuff.  I'm on my 3rd Wii console and while I've luckily never lost any save files I don't trust that luck to hold out in the future.
  • I want to be able to click a single button and have all my save files copy/update to my SD card.  It can't be that hard to implement.  It shouldn't take me 10 minutes to copy a few save files to an SD card.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »
I just bought an adapter that plugs into the wii's gamecube port and allows NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis controller to be played on virtual console games. The thing actually works, but I would like something like this built into the next Nintendo system. Why was this adapter not included with the wii in the first place?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »
Nintendo is cheaper than Uncle Scrooge
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
Perhaps they could be visited by three ghosts. The ghost of gaming past, present and future. In the past, Nnitendo was a toy company coming out into the gaming industry. Fast forward to the present, Nnitendo is incredibly cheap and screws over its fans. Now, in the future, Nintendo sees itself going bankrupt and joining SEGA and its IPs going to Sony and Microsoft. There you have it, The Gaming Carol.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2010, 03:16:09 AM »

• I want to be able to copy and back up all save files.  None of this can't copy online game saves or can't copy certain VC game saves bullshit.  Let me back up my stuff.  I'm on my 3rd Wii console and while I've luckily never lost any save files I don't trust that luck to hold out in the future.
This. And everything else you said would be nice too, but mostly this.

I would like something like this built into the next Nintendo system. Why was this adapter not included with the wii in the first place?
Because it would make the system bulky and expensive to produce, and no one really cares.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »

This. And everything else you said would be nice too, but mostly this.

If you really want to do this, it's fairly easy if you install the Homebrew Channel.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »
I know that. I'm contemplating it. That doesn't mean I don't want a way to do it that's easy and 100% reliable.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2010, 05:36:45 PM »
I would be open to homebrewing my wii console, but I a affraid of reprocussions from Nintendo. The last firmware update bricked alot of wii consoles that were modded. I do not want this to happen.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2010, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm too cheap to do this, but many people have 2 Wii consoles. One homebrew and one for Nintendo's updates. They should be announcing that Black Wii in the US any day now so there's always a reason to double dip.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
I would be open to homebrewing my wii console, but I a affraid of reprocussions from Nintendo. The last firmware update bricked alot of wii consoles that were modded. I do not want this to happen.

There are simple precautions available to ensure that doesn't happen.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
I'm too cheap to do this, but many people have 2 Wii consoles. One homebrew and one for Nintendo's updates. They should be announcing that Black Wii in the US any day now so there's always a reason to double dip.

I'm planning to do this as soon as the Black Wii gets announced.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.