Poll

Which of these DS games have you played or bought?

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (94)
5 (14.7%)
2. Fire Emblem: Awakening (92)
4 (11.8%)
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (91)
8 (23.5%)
4. Shovel Knight (90)
3 (8.8%)
5. Super Mario 3D Land (90)
4 (11.8%)
6. Pushmo (90)
2 (5.9%)
7. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (89)
3 (8.8%)
8. 3D Gunstar Heroes (89)
1 (2.9%)
9. 3D Streets of Rage II (89)
1 (2.9%)
10. Colors! 3D (89)
2 (5.9%)
I have played and/or own each of these games
0 (0%)
I have not played or bought any of these games
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: The Top 10 3DS Games (According to MetaCritic)  (Read 5948 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
The Top 10 3DS Games (According to MetaCritic)
« on: October 26, 2022, 10:25:20 AM »
Here is the "Best of 3DS games" list according to Metacritic. The Metascore is shown in parenthesis after the title. Post below to discuss your experiences with these games.

Do you agree with this ranking?

What missing games are in your 3DS top ten?

Which game on this list is your favorite? Least favorite?

Did you play these on another console? Which one?

Any of these on your backlog?

Will any console have more than 3 Zelda's in the top ten?

Which console should we look at next?
@Adrock - Metacritic does not cover any games before N64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Top 10 3DS Games (According to MetaCritic)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 12:43:05 PM »
This list really does not match my 3DS experience.  The only one I have checked off is A Link Between Worlds which I borrowed from my brother and played for like an hour.  It's been perpetually on my list of games I have to get back to for years.  Of course I played the other Zeldas on the N64.  And I played Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage II on the Genesis.  This is just such a weird list because it paints the 3DS as a port machine but that isn't really its legacy at all.

I'm surprised that Pokemon didn't make the top ten.  Pokemon X was my first game when I bought the 3DS and got a lot of play.  Another title I played a lot of was Bravely Default.  The 3DS really just got me into an RPG groove that I've been in for years.  The more deliberate pace seems to work better for me as I age.  Fantasy Life was another game I put a ton of time into.  And I played the 2nd and 3rd games in the Zero Escape series on the 3DS as well.

But the 3DS was also the system that gave me a second go at the DS which I wasn't that into the first time around.  As a result my physical 3DS system has gotten a lot of play time, easily the most of any handheld and probably the most of any system released since it came out.  Even now that I have a Switch I'm still playing a lot of 3DS.  Right before the eShop closure I downloaded Picross 3D: Vol 2 which is ate up a lot of pockets of time over the last several months as it's ideal for when I have a half hour or 15 minutes free and can't get into something that needs a longer commitment.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 11:26:22 PM »
No. Personally, I wouldn't put an old port at the top of any best-of list. In fact, there are way too many ports on that list.

Metroid: Samus Returns, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, and Resident Evil: Revelaitons. That last one was only good on 3DS due to pushing the hardware. On Wii U, it was just another game.

Favorite: Toss up between The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D Land. I'll give you a different answer depending on the day though I'm leaning the former right now.

Least Favorite: Colors! idontevenknowwhoyouare.gif

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Shovel Knight.

No.

Possibly Wii U?

Possibly Wii U?

@Adrock - Metacritic does not cover any games before N64
Or maybe... you're just making excuses.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 03:02:04 PM »

lol no. It's weird but for some reason when I think of defining games for the 3DS or what games best encapsulate what it had to offer, Gunstar Heroes 3D and Streets of Rage 3D just don't come to mind. I don't know why that is......

Well, I'll give you a top ten list since that's what your angling for but I must admit that I still have many potential gems to get to myself like Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem: Awakening, LOZ: A Link Between Worlds, Kirby: Planet Robobot or Colors! 3D apparently. But with what I have played thoroughly as well as enjoyed, this is my list:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Super Mario 3D Land
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Stretchmo
Streetpass Games
Metroid: Samus Returns

Honorable Mentions:

Picross 3D Round 2
Mario Golf: World Tour
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Of what I've played? I guess Super Mario 3D Land almost by default. Least favorite of what I've played? Pushmo because I've only played three games in that top ten and it draws the short straw over Majora's Mask. Least favorite in what I'd be least likely to try or purchase based on this list? Streets of Rage II 3D.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:21:44 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 05:20:57 PM »

Nope. Everything I've played and the games I listed were all played on the 3DS for the first time. Now, unless you want to classify something like Smash Bros. or Luigi's Mansion as an experience first played elsewhere than there's a whole lot more I could be breaking down. The only double dipping I had came from a handful of the ambassador games and a couple of the GB Virtual Console games. If I had gotten around to playing Ocarina of Time 3D by now then that is a game I could have pointed towards playing on a previous console (GameCube, by the way, which would probably be against the norm). But from this list and and what I listed, it is all fresh for 3DS.

(I just realized that Star Fox 64 3D is a game I played on a previous console (N64) and DKCR 3D is another (Wii). But those weren't on my list or on this top ten list.)

Yep. Ocarina of Time 3D, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Link Between Worlds. The top three.

There's also Shovel Knight but I consider that part of my Wii U backlog as I own a physical copy of the game for that system and will likely play it there at some point. The bottom three are not in any consideration for me and playing them on the 3DS and the Genesis games I could play in non-3D form through the Genesis Switch app.

Maybe if Switch releases Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Tears of the Kingdom can hold up under the expectations it will have thanks to BotW. Clearly MetaCritic and reviewers love to just continually reward old games with high nostalgia scores or grandfathered in ratings. Perhaps through in an Ocarina of Time HD and Switch could have 5 Zeldas in the top ten. Really, it just shows how flawed going by MetaCritic ratings can be.

For further proof, when Meta Critic listed the best 40 Switch games of 2022, it was the Portal collection that was ranked the best Switch game of the year because when one thinks Switch 2022 one can't help but think of those two Portal games that took the world by storm this year and really made a major impact as a real must play Switch experience you can't find anywhere else. On the plus side, the review blurb that was used when highlighting the game as this year's best Switch game came from NintendoWorldReport so.... we're number one! We're number one!

Maybe we should look at more than just the top ten rather console hopping. Or maybe we could examine all the games in a series and sort of run through them all. Hmmmmm.... I wonder...?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.