Poll

Which of these eShop releases are worth a purchase?

10-in-1: Arcade Collection
0 (0%)
Funfair Party Games
0 (0%)
WAKEDAS
0 (0%)
Fish On 3D
0 (0%)
Summer Carnival '92 RECCA
0 (0%)
Darts Up 3D
0 (0%)
Boulder Dash-XL 3D
1 (5.9%)
Jewel Adventures
0 (0%)
AiRace Speed
0 (0%)
Solomon's Key
1 (5.9%)
Cut the Rope
1 (5.9%)
Star Wars Pinball
1 (5.9%)
Star Soldier
1 (5.9%)
Family Table Tennis 3D
0 (0%)
Carps & Dragons
0 (0%)
Astro
0 (0%)
Zombie Blaster
0 (0%)
Rage of the Gladiator
2 (11.8%)
Picross e3
3 (17.6%)
Happy Circus
0 (0%)
Jewel Quest 5 - The Sleepless Star
0 (0%)
Family Bowling 3D
0 (0%)
Secret Agent Files: Miami
1 (5.9%)
Escape From Zombie City
0 (0%)
Aqua Moto Racing 3D
0 (0%)
101 Penguin Pets 3D
0 (0%)
Brunch Panic
0 (0%)
Snow Moto Racing 3D
0 (0%)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
2 (11.8%)
Angry Bunnies
0 (0%)
Arcade Classics 3D
1 (5.9%)
Gotta Play 'em All!
0 (0%)
All These Games Suck
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: October 14, 2022, 10:12:51 PM

Author Topic: Best of the 3DS eShop: 2013 Releases (Part 3)  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Best of the 3DS eShop: 2013 Releases (Part 3)
« on: February 16, 2022, 09:06:49 PM »
The Usual Preamble

With the announcement of the closure for the 3DS eShop, a lot of gamers are now thinking about the offerings available on it. This series of threads will take us back through the catalogue of available games that were released. It may remind you of some of the titles that one missed along the way or forgot about when games were coming out regularly. For myself, I know that I didn't always pay as close attention to the eShop and its releases as I did physical releases. And while I have accumulated a few titles from it, I feel there are probably more I should take advantage of especially since Nintendo hasn't created any other source to purchase many of these titles at this point in time.

While I could I slowly go through each title and hopefully try to track down reviews, I'd rather get the opinions of the NWR Forum users whose gaming tastes I trust a bit more. Plus, I figured this would be a chance to engage in our favorite practice of reminiscing about games we loved playing (and arguing about the worth / rank of a game. ;) )

The main goal is simple. If you have personally played any of these titles, post which ones you have and which ones you highly recommend others should have on their 3DS, which ones might be recommended for Kairon (or a deeper cut for a certain type of fan) and what you think should be skipped. (And sure, even if you haven't played them and have an opinion, I'm not going to argue against you from posting it). I've also included a poll for people to vote on the games being discussed as a possible easy reference for users to see what titles people think a person should acquire for their 3DS.

What Is Being Discussed?

I am trying to go through the eShop exclusives in chronological order at this point. To do that, I'm just going by the release dates on Nintendo's website for eShop games.

When I last did this type of thread, I was in the middle of the 119 or so games that came out for the eShop in 2013 and had divided up those 2013 releases in 4 parts. At this point in time, the amount of releases coming out on the eShop was at an amount and rate that it was getting hard to for this site to keep reviewing them all. Reviews started to become more sparse and there was also the factor that a lot of these titles probably didn't seem worth the time to play and review. But maybe someone out there has more information or took a chance on something here that they now want to bring to light. It's not like there was nothing worth playing that was released during this period. However, the early days of the eShop when every release was practically worth getting have definitely ended now. These games roughly cover the period of time from September to start of November 2013.

The list of titles up for discussion for Part 3 are:

10-in-1: Arcade Collection
Funfair Party Games
WAKEDAS
Fish On 3D
Summer Carnival '92 RECCA
Darts Up 3D
Boulder Dash-XL 3D
Jewel Adventures
AiRace Speed
Solomon's Key
Cut the Rope
Star Wars Pinball
Star Soldier
Family Table Tennis 3D
Carps & Dragons
Astro
Zombie Blaster
Rage of the Gladiator
Picross e3
Happy Circus
Jewel Quest 5 - The Sleepless Star
Family Bowling 3D
Secret Agent Files: Miami
Escape From Zombie City
Aqua Moto Racing 3D
101 Penguin Pets 3D
Brunch Panic
Snow Moto Racing 3D
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
Angry Bunnies
Arcade Classics 3D

Which games do you think are worthy of being added to one's collection and played? Are there any overlooked gems you might be aware of?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:14:04 PM by The President »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the 3DS eShop: 2013 Releases (Part 3)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 10:16:05 PM »
Dual Destinies is the only game on this list I own and I wanna get through Apollo Justice first.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 10:31:40 PM »
I don't think I've played any of these, which is kind of crazy considering how many eShop games I played.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 02:24:11 PM »
This is a tough batch to find recommendations on. I was trying to use the Nintendo store page online and it is definitely slow from extra traffic.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 03:16:54 PM »
Yeeosh, when I look at lists like this it tempts me to use the old clichéd response of "And nothing of value was lost."

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 07:17:35 PM »
I know I own one of the Ai Race games on 3DS but IDR which one. It was alright but kind of unremarkable.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 07:34:14 PM »
I just realized I have Star Wars pinball. I did not buy it outright. I think I got it from a humble bundle or something similar. It is made by Zen so it is high quality and the 3D looks great. They even made stereoscopic 3D tables for PS3 and PS4, which look great on a 3D TV. Anyway, if you like pinball simulators and Star Wars this is worth getting.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 08:48:04 PM »
Star Wars Pinball - The Zen Studio pinball games are typically very good... but it's hard to recommend this specific one without caveats. There is a game-breaking bug in the first table that prevents you from being able to complete one of the missions. Zen Studios was made aware, but either couldn't or weren't willing to provide a patch. The Boba Fett table also is a rather poor recreation of other platforms. As a whole, it's not a terrible package - but it's perhaps the least impressive of the three 3DS pinball games they've released. Still a fun enough game if you enjoy pinball though.

Rage of the Gladiator - Do you like Punch-Out!!? Do you like the idea of a very similar game with a fantasy setting, various upgrade paths you can pick from, and special/magical powers? Rage of the Gladiator is a surprisingly good package and worth trying. It's also only available via WiiWare, 3DS eShop, and mobile platforms.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies - Most of us know what this is. Not my kind of game, but well worth playing if you like Phoenix Wright.

Picross e3 - Most of us know what this is. My kind of game, and well worth playing if you like puzzle games.

Niche games that are worth playing... but only if they fall into your desired niche...
* Summer Carnival '92 RECCA
* Boulder Dash-XL 3D
* AiRace Speed
* Solomon's Key
* Star Soldier

The only game that gets a full recommendation from me at this point is Rage of the Gladiator.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 04:28:20 AM »
Star Wars Pinball - The Zen Studio pinball games are typically very good... but it's hard to recommend this specific one without caveats. There is a game-breaking bug in the first table that prevents you from being able to complete one of the missions. Zen Studios was made aware, but either couldn't or weren't willing to provide a patch. The Boba Fett table also is a rather poor recreation of other platforms. As a whole, it's not a terrible package - but it's perhaps the least impressive of the three 3DS pinball games they've released. Still a fun enough game if you enjoy pinball though.

Played it on Wii U and had similar technical problems. I do still prefer its tables over the ones in Zen Pinball 2 though.