Author Topic: I had a bad experience with GameStop last week.  (Read 5296 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
I had a bad experience with GameStop last week.
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:45:27 PM »
I'm just saying, if someone lined up everyone who's ever worked for GameStop in front of a firing squad, that would be 100% fine by me.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: I had a bad experience with GameStop last week.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 12:00:39 AM »
Hey now! Those are still someone else's terrible children. Won't you think of the children?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »
**** Disney for all the FOX employees they let go, amirite?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »

Yes, because Disney is a successful company that could have made use of them in expanding their influence. Instead, they just fired them. GameStop is not currently a successful company, and their poor customer service unquestionably played a role in their decline.

I don't care that this is the Funhouse. If you want to take jabs at me, at least have the courage to do so in the relevant topic.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
GameStop was a successful company and was riding high when they took over EB Games and - as you pointed out, left too many stores open, had too much overlap, and didn't trim the fat after that merger.

Then, you give Disney crap for doing exactly that.

You can't have it both ways, bro.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
That’s defeatist. You absolutely can have it both ways if you truly believe in yourself and take my online course “Having It Both Ways, Having It All: A Three Step Guide To Not Giving A **** About Other People’s Feelings” by Dr. NWR Adrock*

Just six easy payments of $19.99. Many value, very savings!

*Not an actual licensed and practicing doctor though charming and good-looking which is more important

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 01:36:58 PM »
$2 and you have a deal.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
Man. First the Star Trek thread, now the Gamestop thread. Why so cranky everyone?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »
Why be cranky? Everything can be a party if you’re brave enough.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 06:03:34 PM »
GameStop was a successful company and was riding high when they took over EB Games and - as you pointed out, left too many stores open, had too much overlap, and didn't trim the fat after that merger.

Then, you give Disney crap for doing exactly that.

You can't have it both ways, bro.

Where GameStop failed was that they didn't diversify their stores after they acquired EB, etc. They just had tons of redundant stores, all selling the same product to the same audience. They also notoriously resisted embracing the online marketplace & digital sales. They attempted to do both years ago by pushing collectibles & selling digital codes, but by the time they did so it was too little too late. What's there now cannot be saved.

When Disney acquired Fox, they had a chance to diversify what they put out just like 80s/90s Disney did with Touchstone Pictures and their Pixar partnership. Touchstone & Pixar allowed Disney to put out different types of films appealing to different audiences without interfering with the core Disney brand. Fox got itself in the situation it did through incompetent management. Disney could have salvaged most of Fox and spun it off as its own brand making non-typical Disney films. Instead, Disney appears to have just wanted the IP & discarded the rest. It's short-sighted.

I was actually surprised when I read that Disney DIDN'T kill off Blue Sky Studio until I saw that they basically just folded them into Disney Animation, erasing their identity completely.

What's happening with GameStop was a failure to recognize that they needed to change with the times, and they're paying for that now. And if the ground-level employees still there didn't see its death coming, then they haven't been paying attention.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »
Y’all are really doing this in the Funhouse? 🤷‍♀️

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 07:14:41 PM »

Hey, take it up with the people who decided to come running over here to make snide comments about one of my posts in another thread. I didn't ask to split the conversation 2 ways.

Besides, it's a Restaurant, not a Funhouse.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:16:19 PM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »
Khush might have to step in after all.

Hey, take it up with the people who decided to come running over here to make snide comments about one of my posts in another thread. I didn't ask to split the conversation 2 ways.

At this point I'm just enjoying some popcorn. I've said my piece in the other thread and made the stupid joke I wanted to make here so I can just sit back and enjoy the show.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 10:28:14 PM »
Actually, Gamestop's website used to be great.  They had a bunch of old stock, they'd update it the same time every morning with the new inventory, and I could spend an hour browsing for copies of older games cheap.

Truth is, for profitable older games, most people are going to sell direct to buyer rather than GameStop.  And selling a cart-only copy of Cory in the House doesn't pay the bills.  GameStop's entire business model is much like that of video rental stores and is destined to fail, eventually, period.  Their best hope was to slowly convert to an all-things-geek shop, which they tried to do, but tried to do badly, stuffing tiny mall shops full of overpriced Funko Pops, giving zero shots about customer service, and, in my humble opinion, failing to embrace the expanding tabletop gaming market.

Where GameStop could have become an all-inclusive FLGS, they gave a very token effort towards having analog games while video games were devoured by the digital marketplace.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 12:13:08 AM »
::late driveby posting::

Yes, because Disney is a successful company that could have made use of them in expanding their influence. Instead, they just fired them. GameStop is not currently a successful company, and their poor customer service unquestionably played a role in their decline.

I don't care that this is the Funhouse. If you want to take jabs at me, at least have the courage to do so in the relevant topic.

Disney freed them all up so they could all go work at a Gamestop, and hopefully turn that company into something sucessful enough so that maybe a larger company like Target or Walmart will buy them up. and subsequently free up a lot of other redundant employees that will then be free to move on to other ventures, and so on and so forth.....

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
What is an FLGS?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
Fully Licensed Game Seller

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 05:43:14 PM »
You have to be licensed to sell games?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »
What is an FLGS?

Friendly Local Game Store.  Typically, a shop that sells board/card games, RPGs, comics (aka FLCS).  Term of endearment because local stores (Walmart, Target, etc.) don't tend to carry such a selection/variety and online stores tend to be impersonal.  Your Friendly Local Game Store is where you can go to talk to friendly employees about games, get recommendations, special orders, new releases, and even typically have game events (Be it things like Magic tournaments/releases, or a really good FLGS, you can just stop in and play one of the demo games - maybe even with the employees on a slow day.

The Hollywood Video sub-store Game Crazy (RIP) did this with video games.  I never went into one where the employees didn't feel excited to be there and talk games (and not in a condescending way either).  Any in-stock title they had opened, they'd pop it into one of their demo machines and let you play it.  Special Ordering was second nature for them and they carried lots of niche product (got my US-Released Hori digital Gamecube controller from them on a fluke one day).  I've always wondered if Game Crazy would still be around if Hollywood Video hadn't crashed and burned.

Anywhoo, Imagine larger GameStops with real customer service focused employees, a huge selection of both video games and board/card games, still carrying all the geek culture stuff (but lighter on the Funko Pops, please).  Someplace that you could seriously go hang out at for a couple of hours, have fun, and not even *have* to buy something.

I can't even be in most GameStops for more than ten minutes because they're so tiny and crowded, I feel like I'm in everyone's way.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 08:06:43 PM »
You have to be licensed to sell games?

Oh yeah! A lot of games have guns, alcohol and vehicles in them. Gotta be licensed to sell that stuff especially to minors.