Author Topic: A Question for Canucks  (Read 11234 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« on: February 05, 2003, 05:11:27 PM »
Man, what a sorry state we are in these days when we have to import games from the US to get our gaming fix.

Anyways, for any Canadians who might be here, I have a question.  Since the February 16th deadline is fast approaching, I want to get my copy of Zelda pre-ordered quite soon, and my local Toys R' Us employs morons who don't know what is going on.  Half of them haven't heard of the new Zelda, and the other half don't have anything useful to say about the bonus disc.  I want it real bad, so it seems that I would have to order it online from the US.  I also want to pick up a copy of Skies of Arcadia while I am at it, as I have a little extra money at the moment, and it doesn't seem to be released in Canada yet.

So, any recommendations on where I can get both of these?  My first thought was EBWorld, but they don't ship Zelda to Canada, and my next thought was VideoGameAdvantage (PGC's sponsor), but they don't appear to have Zelda listed, so I am forced to go elsewhere.  Any ideas?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 05:24:50 PM »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 05:36:49 PM »
Did you try amazon?  Thats where I just ordered my Zelda with bonus disk.  I'm sure they won't be the fastest, and I will  probably get my game a little late, but I'm assured of getting it, which is all that matters.  To do it, you have to add both TWW, and TOoT to your cart.  It will read some obscene amount of money, then when you go to check out you enter a code...I think the code is LEGNZELDSAVE but double check it to be sure.    
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 05:37:15 PM »
amazon.com has the same restrictions....

gamespot.com seems to be shipping internationally, but they are apparently charging a $59.99 handling fee?  (It can't be right, but that's what it says).  I think I will wait until the 16th to order Skies of Arcadia anyway so that I don't have to pay as much extra shipping.  Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.  If anyone else knows a good site to order from in Canada, let me know.  If someone knows a Canadian site offering the pre-order bonus, that would be ideal.

quote from amazon:

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 05:38:35 PM »
Hmm thats a tough one then...You got any american friends that could be a middle man?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 05:39:45 PM »
Not anymore...  I am stuck in Canada I am afraid.  

Offline Kai

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 07:54:57 PM »
What about DVDBoxoffice?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 08:56:39 PM »
Well, their prices are through the roof, but they have exactly what I am looking for, and I guess free shipping makes up for that.    Thanks a lot kai!

Offline SoftShell

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 11:28:37 PM »
Winnipeg Canada here. I placed by pre-order at EB Feb 3. They will be getting the bonus discs on Feb 18. I put $20 down. Wind Waker is scheduled for March 26 I think.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2003, 07:38:31 AM »
Grey Ninja where in Canada do you live?  I live in the Vancouver area and Skies of Arcadia is available in most stores.  I even was able to find a place renting it last weekend.  I also preordered Zelda at EB in the same way Softshell did.  You shouldn't have to order from American sites to get those games.  If you have a friend who lives near a major Canadian city they should be able to find what you're looking for.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2003, 07:46:19 AM »
Blast it!  I DO live in a major Canadian city.  (Lethbridge, Alberta is sort of big).  I really envy you guys who are able to actually buy the games you want though.  Yes, I do have friends in bigger cities, but my problem is that I want the game as quickly as possible...  Most of my friends are even lazier than me, and I am sure that the game would be spending a long time getting its way to me.  *sigh*

I think I am just going to wait for Toys R' Us to get their act together, and then when they figure out whether they will be selling Skies of Arcadia, and giving the Zelda bonus discs, I will either buy it from them and save myself a lot of trouble, or I will buy them from DVD Box Office.  I emailed them about it, and they said that they would be shipping the bonus disc on the same day as Wind Waker (not really what I had in mind)  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 07:58:27 AM »
Maybe you should try looking somewhere besides Toys 'R' Us.  Those retards couldn't even get my Gamecube preorder right.  After telling me again and again that I did NOT have to buy a bundle they told me on release day that I did.  Are there no other stores in Lethbridge that sell games?  What other cities are near Lethbridge?  You could always look somewhere else.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2003, 08:49:04 AM »
My problem is that Toys R' Us, Future Shop, and Walmart are the only stores in town that sell games in mass quantities.  In my experience, Future Shop is the worst, and Toys R' Us is the best as far as that area goes.  I don't visit Walmart much, as it is across town, and I do not have a vehicle, so I am forced to rely on public transportation.  I suppose I should really call them and ask them one of these days...  Maybe I'll go do that right now.  Somehow it just never occurred to me.

As for nearby cities, Calgary is about 2 - 3 hours drive away, but again, not having a vehicle limits my options rather severely.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2003, 09:07:33 AM »
grey ninja

if you can get to an EB that is your best bet.

PS - do the broncos still play in lethbridge?
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2003, 01:59:47 PM »
nope.  No EB around here.  I do know of one in Calgary, but of course that's out of the question.  

I don't watch much (read: any) sports though, so I can't tell you much about the Broncos.  Sorry.

PS:  I emailed Nintendo about my frusterations, and here's a snippet from the response.  I guess I am a lot less worried than before now.  

And, yes, the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker pre-sale promotion is being
offered at retailer's in Canada as well as the United States.  However, in both
countries, it is up to the store to decide if they wish to participate.  Check
with your local retailers to find out if they have elected to take advantage of
this great promotion!

Offline DarrenM

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2003, 02:47:21 PM »

My first thought was EBWorld, but they don't ship Zelda to Canada...

That's what I thought at first.  But after emailing EB, they told me that if you get the one where they ship the bonus disc with your order, they will ship it to a Canadian address.  They just can't ship the bonus disc early to Canada.  I ordered mine from there last Friday and had no problems.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2003, 03:54:15 PM »
hmmm....  tempting once more, but I really want my bonus disc early.  I think I might just wait for Toys R Us or Walmart to let me know whats going on.

Offline SureShot

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2003, 10:47:13 AM »
Grey Ninja, I do feel your pain man, I to live in Canada and it's a pain in the @ss ordering from anywhere online.

I thought the pre-order thing wasnt going to be in effect until the 14th of February so I waited until 2 days ago to call my local EB and order the game. The guy on the other end of the phone told me that I could pre-order but all the disks where gone and or spoken for so I was S.O.L.

I couldnt think of anything else to do so I went online to the EBsite and as you know it's all in american funds and it says clearly on the page that they will not ship to Canada. So I call up the number anyway to find out and sure enough - they will ship to us, but they cannot ship the demo disk ahead of time because of some stupid thing they worked out with UPS. But either way - get it from EBonline if you really want that disk, I know I did - and that's why I bought it. All together it works out to about $95 Canadian and that's with taxes and shipping included.

As for Skies of Arcadia - my girlfriend and I just picked it up at our local Wal-Mart 3 days ago here in Ontario Canada so make sure to look around - it's here in Canada for sure!

Offline JDMJOSH

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2003, 08:21:25 PM »

Originally posted by: SoftShell
Winnipeg Canada here. I placed by pre-order at EB Feb 3. They will be getting the bonus discs on Feb 18. I put $20 down. Wind Waker is scheduled for March 26 I think.

Same here for Edmonton

Offline Yamauchi

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2003, 08:24:45 PM »
Simple, go to wal-mart or Microplay. The disc is in early anyways.
I am the one and only Yamauchi!

Offline strubcube

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2003, 10:13:53 PM »
Reporting from the outside rim of Toronto Ontario. I've found picking up Skies of Arcadia quite a feat indeed....until today. I found one copy at Compucentre, EBgames were out, but have only received 10 copies since it's release. I then walked into Microplay, who had sold all their previous copies quickly, just got another shipment, and I scored myself a copy today. Woohoo! As for the Zelda bonus disk thing, I put down $20 at my local EBgames close to a month ago, and have been told the bonus disk is expected around the 16th to 18th. I can't wait to get a hold of that game once again, so I can kick Ganondorf's butt. hehe
Inline Release

Each Xbox controller cord has an inline release.  This is a safety feature
designed to reduce the chance of the Xbox console falling when the cord is pulled. If the Xbox console falls and hits someone, especially a small child,
it could cause serious injury"

Ta

Offline Boffo

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2003, 11:04:21 PM »
Why not www.ebgames.com  ?    They ship to Canada.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2003, 12:12:33 AM »
Well, it's good to hear that at least SOME Canadians are getting their GameCube fix.  I will do the rounds again tomorrow and see if I can find anything.  I really don't have time to play games right now (midterms), but I would like to have them all the same before it's too late.

Offline jme

• View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2003, 01:14:13 AM »
Don't forget about www.ebay.com

I'm sure it will be for sale there the DAY people get it. In fact I know people who plan on it. So yeah, there's always that.
and i ain't lyin' neither!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
A Question for Canucks
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2003, 01:22:56 PM »
Just a follow up to let people know how it went...  Thanks for all your advice and help.

Future Shop will be doing the Zelda pre-order promotion, so I don't need to worry about that anymore.  They will start taking pre-orders on the 16th, and I will be right there when the doors open that morning.    This I can guarantee.

As far as Skies of Arcadia goes, I have given up hope that it will ever show up in my area of the world.  I will simply order it from DVDBoxOffice, or EBGames, whichever is cheaper.

Anyways, thanks again for all your help.  It's much appreciated.