Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537688 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1250 on: May 26, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
Most of the TNG movies are really good, better than most of the TOS movies for sure. I think several of the TOS movies are overrated (although I do like IV and VI). I don't really like Generations though, that was pretty boring.

Last night I watched Ratatouille from Netflix. It started a little slow and for the first five minutes I thought this was going to be the first Pixar movie I hate, but then it picked up. I have to admit that I cared more about Linguini's story than Remy's. Overall I would give it 5/5, although I was surprised to see no audio commentary and only a few bonus features.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:44:16 AM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 26, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »
Last night I watched Ratatouille from Netflix. It started a little slow and for the first five minutes I thought this was going to be the first Pixar movie I hate, but then it picked up. I have to admit that I cared more about Linguini's story than Remy's.  Overall I would give it 5/5, although I was surprised to see no audio commentary and only a few bonus features.

Yeah, that's what the Blu-Ray's for, apparently.  I have it, and they extremely gimped the standard DVD release on the bonus features in favor of the Blu-Ray, which has hours of them.  As for the movie itself, it's alright though far from my favorite Pixar effort (that being The Incredibles).  Having been in Paris, though, their depiction of what Paris streets are like is shockingly accurate considering all the caricature.  They give in to the temptation to glamorize the buildings, though, as Paris in real life is falling apart really badly and is kind of ugly outside of the historical buildings.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:28:48 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 27, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »
Saws 3-5 - 7/10, 4/10, and 4/10 respectively - Yeah, I've actually finished watching all 6 Saw movies while playing Resonance of Fate's optional content (i.e. "grinding"), and frankly at times it's been difficult to discern which is the more painful experience.  Saw 3 is actually a decent movie, still having a little of the wit that drove the first two movies and having a nice bookend that finishes the Jigsaw trilogy.  The second trilogy, however, is just bad.  It's confusing (movies 3-6 take place in overlapping timelines), the traps are increasingly ridiculous, the stories are vapid, the characters are either amazingly brilliant (I guess Jigsaw left behind copies of the script considering how quickly they figure out exactly how the traps work) or amazingly stupid, and it's obvious after a while that the cast and crew are just phoning it in now.

You might have noticed I left Saw 6 mostly out of that discussion, and for good reason: that movie inspired just seething anger that I feel a rant coming on (one that hopefully the mods allow me a little leeway with because it skirts one of Linus Van Pelt's big taboos), and if you've seen the movie you might have a good idea why.  I'm going to sleep on the matter on post my thoughts on that movie later, when I can better channel my disgust into something relatively short and understandable.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:55:03 AM by broodwars »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 29, 2010, 04:14:57 AM »
MacGruber 8/10    One particular scene made me laugh my ass off, while I was laughing my ass off some old people left the theater, the old man muttered to his wife "this is sick!"
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 30, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »
the Outlaw Josie Wales 8/10 pretty good

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #1255 on: May 30, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
3/5
Solid, better than Avatar.

Toy Story 2
4/5
Too many lame pop culture references to be perfect.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1256 on: May 30, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder: 5/5. Easily tied with the first Futurama movie in terms of quality. They were making this movie under the impression that it would be the end of Futurama (this was before they announced the deal with Comedy Central), so they wrapped up several of the story arcs, including at the very end. I love that they killed 2 members of the Waterfall family.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: 3/5. Maybe it was the DVD copy I got, but the movie was almost unwatchable in the night scenes because almost the whole screen would be pitch black (day scenes were fine and I know it's not my TV). The story was pretty good, even if the basic formula that every Harry Potter movie follows is getting old, and I don't get why Hermione would be attracted to Ron (I haven't read any of the books).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 30, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
hmm weird when I saw half-blood prince in theaters i remember it being dark, but not so dark that it was a bother to watch the night scenes..screwy DVD transfer? Maybe some guy didn't know what the **** he was doing over at Warner :P I hate bad transfers.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1258 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
I've seen bad transfers in other movies, it is pretty annoying. It is especially annoying when it is the Blu-ray Disc version of a movie, they are charging a premium for the discs and are too lazy to get it right (not to mention the Blu-ray movies that look like a VHS copy).

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #1259 on: May 30, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »
I don't get why Hermione would be attracted to Ron (I haven't read any of the books).
It's just the old, they're mean to each other because they like each other. If it sounds childish it's because they're kids.

Jaded fans claim that the Ron / Hermione thing was inserted into the later books because of the success of the funny little moments in the third film (see the first Buckbeak scene). Those fans are idiots and will all die sad, lonely deaths.

And yeah, sounds like a **** transfer, it was very watchable in theatres.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: May 30, 2010, 10:47:01 PM »
Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder: 5/5. Easily tied with the first Futurama movie in terms of quality. They were making this movie under the impression that it would be the end of Futurama (this was before they announced the deal with Comedy Central), so they wrapped up several of the story arcs, including at the very end. I love that they killed 2 members of the Waterfall family.

That reminds me, I bought that movie when it came out and haven't yet watched it. It doesn't surprise me that it's great; it was written by Ken Keeler, who also wrote Bender's Big Score and was, in my opinion, the best writer the show ever had.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1261 on: May 31, 2010, 11:37:45 AM »
Keeler also wrote the original series finale "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings", which I thought was a great episode. He was a great writer and I hope he is one of the writers they brought back (I think so since he was also a producer).

The movie was filled with references to past Futurama episodes, the whole plot (this is not a spoiler) is based on the fact that Fry doesn't have any delta brain waves (due to the fact that Fry went back in time and became his own grandfather).

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1262 on: May 31, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »
Episode 1: The Phantom Menace OHMYGODITSSOAWFUL/10

It was on TV. I got about halfway through it before I couldn't take it anymore. I forgot how George Lucas betrayed The Force.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 31, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
Episode 1: The Phantom Menace OHMYGODITSSOAWFUL/10

It was on TV. I got about halfway through it before I couldn't take it anymore. I forgot how George Lucas betrayed The Force.

Are you saying he betrayed the law?   ;)   Yeah, I remember kind of liking Phantom Menace when I saw it in theaters on opening night, but like Episode 2 it's just a movie I can't bring myself to watch anymore.  At least Episode 3 is bearable and we got an awesome CG Star Wars prequel series out of it in Clone Wars.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:46 AM »
well if you take out Jar Jar and Anikin, Phantom Menace is pretty good. Then the movie is just Jedis kicking ass.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #1265 on: June 01, 2010, 01:45:18 AM »
It's not Perm. It's all awful.
HOw wold you describe Qui Gon as a character? You can't. "Qui Gon? Oh he's, he's jedi like, he's a jedi"

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 01, 2010, 01:55:33 AM »
HOw wold you describe Qui Gon as a character? You can't. "Qui Gon? Oh he's, he's jedi like, he's a jedi"

Unfortunately, he's played by Liam Neeson, so he kind of falls under the same category for me as Morgan Freeman: I really don't care how bad their characters are, because as far as I'm concerned the two of them could just sit there and read a phone book for 2 hours (also known as the extent of Neeson's character in Fallout 3) and I'd be satisfied.  The two of them just have that certain character to their voices and stage aura on-screen.

Honestly, Qui Gon was probably the least problem that Phantom Menace had, anyway.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 01, 2010, 02:42:31 AM »
It's not Perm. It's all awful.

and Jedis are awesome, especially if they are played by Liam Neeson, actually to be honest he wasn't a big star in my eyes until he did The Phantom Menace, I had watched him in other movies, but he didn't stick in my head till then.

now lets discuss the Attack of the Clones
the clone wars was a wooden acted movie about how Anakin and Padmé are about to get together, that is, unless its scenes where Obi Wan is investigating the clones and Jango and Boba Fett, those are the best parts of the movie.

I enjoyed Revenge of the Sith, and I waited in line forever to watch it, but I don't remember a damn thing about the movie except "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
the other thing about it I remember is DS had just came out, and I got to test it in the 1 hour wait inside the plex while I waited for the previews to start. Pictochat was awesome, obviously it went from darth vader drawings to penis and boobs. We played some games too.

Heartbreak Ridge 8/10 anything with Clint Eastwood automatically gets an 8 just for having him.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:10:13 AM by ThePerm »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 01, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »

Unfortunately, he's played by Liam Neeson, so he kind of falls under the same category for me as Morgan Freeman: I really don't care how bad their characters are, because as far as I'm concerned the two of them could just sit there and read a phone book for 2 hours (also known as the extent of Neeson's character in Fallout 3) and I'd be satisfied.  The two of them just have that certain character to their voices and stage aura on-screen.

Honestly, Qui Gon was probably the least problem that Phantom Menace had, anyway.

I actually agree, Morgan and Liam are amazing!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 01, 2010, 05:16:05 AM »
I actually felt Qui-Gon was one of the more interesting characters in the prequels. Granted, a lot of it was merely alluded to, but the implications of the whole 'Grey Jedi' and how he was one was always interesting to me as a Star Wars nerd.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 01, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
No need to MFT Phantom menace now.
You guys have already handled that movie here.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:35 AM »
No need to MFT Phantom menace now.
You guys have already handled that movie here.

Nah, we should just put the Star Wars Holiday Special on MFT rotation. The second Ewoks live action movie could have some potential as well. That was was crazy bizarre from what I recall. Medieval monsters and witches on Endor in a castle = lol.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:46:14 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 05, 2010, 05:53:08 AM »
Alice in HeyThisPlaceLooksFamiliarLand

Did she just Crip Walk at the end!? Seriously?
This was the continuation of the original Disney movie? I wasn't feelin' it at all. It wasn't the worst movie ever, but I just have to ask why? I know it made a lot of money for Disney and all, but seriously, WHY?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 05, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »
Burn After Reading - 9/0. In a word: WTF! Just quirky oddly brilliance.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 06, 2010, 03:18:04 AM »
Shutter Island A well made, well shot film, but it feels like it betrays its audience in the end. I need to see it a second time to rate it.