Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1544597 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #850 on: February 04, 2010, 02:51:57 AM »
guy with pen - What a dick
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 05, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »
Planet Hulk - 7.75/10

I gotta say that I'm a little impressed with the efforts that Marvel Animations has been making. Hulk Vs Wolverine was great and Hulk vs Thor was pretty good too. So I gave this one a chance and i enjoyed it. The animation could us a little work, but given the budget that went into it, I would still give it an B. The story made sense, but I haven't picked up a comic book in 15 years, so I don't know what was going on right before this movie started.

This movie starts off with the Hulk being restrained in a space ship with a message from Iron man that he was no longer welcome on Earth and they were sending him somewhere where there was no one he could hurt and there was nothing for him to get mad and then destroy everything. Let's just say that Hulk got mad and destroyed his ship sending it off course and landing on an entirely different planet with lots of inhabitants. What will Hulk Smash first?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this movie was more violent and brutal than I had expected.
Pleasant Surprise
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:47:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #852 on: February 05, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »
Hulk has anger issues.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 05, 2010, 08:01:52 PM »
Planet Hulk - 7.75/10

I gotta say that I'm a little impressed with the efforts that Marvel Animations has been making. Hulk Vs Wolverine was great and Hulk vs Thor was pretty good too. So I gave this one a chance and i enjoyed it. The animation could us a little work, but given the budget that went into it, I would still give it an B. The story made sense, but I haven't picked up a comic book in 15 years, so I don't know what was going on right before this movie started.

This movie starts off with the Hulk being restrained in a space ship with a message from Iron man that he was no longer welcome on Earth and they were sending him somewhere where there was no one he could hurt and there was nothing for him to get mad and then destroy everything. Let's just say that Hulk got mad and destroyed his ship sending it off course and landing on an entirely different planet with lots of inhabitants. What will Hulk Smash first?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this movie was more violent and brutal than I had expected.
Pleasant Surprise

What a coincidence, because I just watched that movie as well yesterday.  Can't say I agree with you, though: 3/10.  This movie was just awful to me, bland in every conceivable way and it didn't feel true at all to the Hulk character.  When I throw in a Hulk movie, I expect to see the Jekyll & Hide drama of Bruce Banner trying to contain the Hulk and trying to find an inner peace, with the Hulk being an incarnation of total primitive rage.  Not only do we never see Banner in this movie, but the brooding and strangely intelligent Hulk in this movie could hold a decent conversation with him.  In fact, Hulk is so calm and collected in this movie that you have to wonder why the Avengers exiled him from Earth as a menace in the first place.  The animation would be passable for a TV animated series, the movie is staffed with generic characters left and right (gotta love apparently Evil red-skinned Aang from Avatar being the main villain) I couldn't care less about, and the story largely takes place inside a giant gladiatorial arena.  Joy, because that has always led to compelling stories in superhero animation (*glares at Justice League's "War World"*).  It's movies like this that make the Hulk an easy character to ignore in the Marvel Universe.

Oh, and what was the ****ing point of creating a Direct-to-DVD Hulk movie if you're just going to have him slaughter generic robots most of the time, the poster children for TV animation writers wanting to get around censorship?

So yeah, we disagree a bit.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:06:20 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 05, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
From things I've seen in the comic-verse, Bruce Banner and The Hulk have become one with each other and the whole Dr. J/Mr. H aspect is long gone.

Although I do remember the hulk best when he was struggling with himself and the beast, but I also remember that the brain conquered the beast and could communicate through him and even control him up to a certain extent.

The movie was mostly gladitorial and I did wonder why The Hulk was holding a sword, but the beating that are delivered later on put The Hulk using what he uses best. His fist and hands. That is what I was watching for.

It wasn't the best movie ever, but it a definite step up from some much older Marvel Animation and better story telling than some of the stuff that was happening over at DC.
Hulk vs Wolverine is still by far the best of their current offerings.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #855 on: February 05, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »
Yup. Bruce can basically morph into and out of Hulk form whenver he wants now. Over the years, his strength has grown by leaps and bounds. He was exiled from Earth because of this--he had such immense destructive power that he was causing geologic events or something. So he's got Banner's smarts and Hulk's strength. I think the conflict now is that he's got multiple personalities or something, one of which wants to take over the world...? Does that sound right?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 05, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
That sounds like right where the movie picks up, but I wouldn't know.
All I do know is that Hulk never transforms back into Bruce banner at any point in this movie. Is he permaHulk now?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »
Yup. Bruce can basically morph into and out of Hulk form whenver he wants now. Over the years, his strength has grown by leaps and bounds. He was exiled from Earth because of this--he had such immense destructive power that he was causing geologic events or something. So he's got Banner's smarts and Hulk's strength. I think the conflict now is that he's got multiple personalities or something, one of which wants to take over the world...? Does that sound right?

Alright, let me get this straight: Marvel created a movie based strongly in comic continuity in a time when comic readership isn't particularly good, including a major character deviation that the vast majority of interested viewers will not understand because most people don't read comics and none of the other Marvel Direct-to-DVD specials set it up.  Brilliant!  ::)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #858 on: February 05, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »
Ok, first of all: almost all of the DC direct to dvd animation films have been excellent. The worse one was Superman Doomsday. I have yet to see this Hulk movie, but I'd think calling this Gladiator rip-off better than 'some' of those movies seems a bit blind-sided.

I was seriously rooting for this movie to be good. But the reviews are causing me to think that I should have known better. I have haved on to waiting for the Halo Legends effort. The Justice League movie at the end of the month has me salvating.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 05, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »
Well "some" of the DC things I've seen weren't all that good, but I was never into the DC Universe, so I might be a little biased. I was always a Marvel fan but enjoyed lots of the JL/U cartoons that came on, B:TAS and even some of the new Batman cartoon.

There are also some bad Marvel Animations out there too, and if you throw in the "Stan Lee" collection, some turns into too many.

As far as Hulk Planet goes, they narrate whats going on at the very beginning  of the movie. I don't think you need any real back story if you just know that Bruce IS the Hulk.
Although you might be a little turned off by the fact that Bruce is not in this movie at all.

Bottom line is that it wasn't a great movie, but it was pretty good and enjoyable. It made sense, and the animation wasn't half bad. Lots of action, violence and gore and you can really do a body count during the movie.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:53 PM »
Something I really appreciate about the DC Direct-to-DVD movies (and the DC AU for that matter) is that while they give a lot of fanservice to longtime fans of the comics, they also do a really good job of making their stories approachable to people who don't read the comics.  Not all the movies are hits (Superman Doomsday bored me, and I still haven't cared enough to check out Green Lantern), but I always know when I pop in one of those movies that even though my only DC experience has come with the DC AU and the various Live Action movies I can enjoy them.

IMO, the only good movie to come out of Marvel's D2DVD stable so far is Dr. Strange, though I'm watching Hulk Vs. right now and I'm quite enjoying it (I just finished Hulk vs. Wolverine).  Iron Man was a step in the right direction, but was ultimately too generic in places to really enjoy and we've since seen much better Iron Man stuff since.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 05, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
Is Dr. Strange good? I was gonna rent it, but it looked a bit on the dull side.
I guess I'll add it to the Netflix list.

Green Lantern: First Flight is ok, but the only thing I know of Green Lantern is from JLA/U

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 05, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »
Is Dr. Strange good? I was gonna rent it, but it looked a bit on the dull side.
I guess I'll add it to the Netflix list.

Green Lantern: First Flight is ok, but the only thing I know of Green Lantern is from JLA/U

Dr. Strange is good, but it's a little rushed towards the end.  The first half, where Strange is learning to become Sorcerer Supreme, is well-paced and interesting (and very similar to how Batman Begins handled Bruce Wayne's training to become Batman), but the second half where all the fighting happens isn't quite so strong.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 06, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
Zombieland: Bill Murray! 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 07, 2010, 12:59:03 AM »
Continuing my current binge of Marvel movies I've ignored over the years...

Hulk Vs. - 5/10 for Wolverine Vs. and 9/10 for Thor Vs., so an average of 7/10 for the set as a whole - As you might figure, I found Wolverine Vs. to be ok.  It had some decent fight sequences, but the film seemed only to exist to gush Wolverine fanservice.  That's all well and good, but that fanservice got in the way of what could have been a very entertaining Wolverine/Hulk fight.  This episode film also marks the animated debut of the legendary Deadpool (played by Nolan North, the voice of everything these days)...and he doesn't come off as all that memorable.  The film also ends extremely abruptly.  Thor Vs. is very well-done, though.  I don't know Thor very well, but I felt the film did an excellent job introducing the characters and world of the Thor universe and made it interesting.  There were both good character moments and excellent fight scenes.  Good animation all around in both films as well.

The Fantastic Four (live action) - 6/10 - Eeesh....well, in all fairness I had a decent enough time with this film, more than I expected given my best friend warned me that this movie was crap.  My big problem with the movie is that it's just...adequate.  The acting is pretty unremarkable in general (with Reed, Doom, and Sue Storm coming off particularly poorly), the quality of the special effects are all over the map (The Thing really should have been CG, because his rubber suit just looks silly), the costumes just come off silly (especially Doom's), and the story is just...unremarkable.  The Human Torch looked pretty cool, though.  These people were granted extraordinary powers, and the movie never takes the shackles off them and just lets the creativity fly in ways you can only do in a movie.  I'm going to check out the sequel, but I don't have high hopes for it.  So far, that 2006 animated series is looking like the definitive version of this franchise, which is kind of sad considering it has Paul Doooooooooom Dobson.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:05:21 PM by broodwars »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
The Cottage - WTF? I got confused 30 minutes in then got bored. 4/10.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 07, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
guy with pen - has a real big set

fixed. that was hilarious.

Edge of Darkness: original rating (after leaving the theatre) 10/10
After giving it some thought: 8/10

Much slower paced than the trailers make it seem, and not as much action either but thats okay because I knew that going in. This a pretty good conspiracy flick that actually had me tense at times wondering what was going to happen next. Some of the cons are minor issues, like being not being able to understand an englishman in the film who seemed pretty damn important to the overall story, as well as some muffled dialogue leaving me feeling as if I missed something important. The ending was a bit cheesey, but this was overall a good movie and I'd love to watch it again some time.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
Have you seen the original series that the movie is based on?

Edge of Darkness (1986)
6 episode mini series or something.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 07, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
Have you seen the original series that the movie is based on?

Edge of Darkness (1986)
6 episode mini series or something.

Hm.. i did not, but i know for a fact that was a very good year. It led to the sexual act that created yours truley ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 07, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »
Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 7/10 - I was actually kind of surprised how much more I liked this movie over the first.  Character relationships seem to be better handled, the characters better acted (with the exception of Doom and Sue Storm, who are actually far worse this time around), the special effects are better (with the exception of the Silver Surfer once he's off his surfboard), and the story's marginally better.  My major complaint this time around is that Doom is even in this movie.  He doesn't belong there, he distracts from the main story, and he eats valuable time that could have been given to the Surfer and Galactus.  On the subject of Galactus, it's been a long time since I've seen the 90s Silver Surfer animated series but despite all the ****ing about Galactus being turned into a giant cloud in this movie I'm actually pretty ok with it.  The movie depicts him as a force of nature, quite fitting for one who brings about the End of the World.  Sometimes what you don't see is leagues better than what you do.  I mean, c'mon, did you really want to see a giant purple man with a silly helmet stomping around the world?

I'm nearly done catching up on Marvel movies I've skipped over the years.  The only one I've missed now is the Director's Cut of Daredevil (which from all accounts is the only version of that movie anyone should watch, and I'm going to pretend that Electra movie doesn't even exist so I don't have to watch it), which is proving difficult to find.  Oh yeah, and there are those Punisher and Blade movies I don't care enough to see.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:33:27 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 08, 2010, 12:28:32 AM »
Blade 1 was good, 2 was all right, and 3 was watchable.

I liked the 1st Punisher(2004) (unless you mean the one starring Dolph Lundgren(1989)). It was entertaining, and I don't see why Marvel didn't just pick up where that one left off.

I never finished the reboot(2008), but my girl really liked it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »
Punisher War Zone is actually pretty good. It's a little over-the-top, but for the most part, it's pretty true to the comics, at least style-wise. There is one scene that completely rapes the comic book series, and really has no place in the movie, if you watch it, you'll figure it out.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 08, 2010, 02:46:59 AM »
Punisher 89' 7.8 /10 Cheezy but 80s goodness

Punisher 04' 8.4/10 Pretty decent when i watched it, but id have to watch it again because now after Mist Thomas Jane gets extra points just for being there.

Punisher Warzone 6/10 This movie was very low budget, and some Jigsaw scene were ripped right out of Batman 89' "give me the mirror!", Speaking of Jigsaw, this movie had a Lionsgate vibe, and not in a good way...but sort of yes a good way, because some of the kills in the movie were awesome, but Punisher went too Cowboy Boondocks saints a couple of times..lame

Offline HamptonEdwards

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 09, 2010, 12:42:39 AM »
Well I have seen avatar..9.5/10
Really an awesome movie..And one awesome thing related avatar is that..
'Avatar' replacing 'Titanic' in record books

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 10, 2010, 03:09:02 AM »
which counts for nothing since their both James Cameron movies, i still haven't seen Titanic, after like 13 years, i wanna see what all the fuss is about.