Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1538092 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #525 on: October 24, 2009, 12:16:36 AM »
I think its extremely snobbish when people put down other people for finding something to nitpick in a movie, especially when it was made clear that it was all in fun anyway and in the end the person nitpicking admits to enjoying the film to some extent. I mean seriously, it's gotten so much worse on the internet when someone can make a post and someone else just decides its beneath them because it doesn't fall in line with their way of thinking. Makes me wonder if there's any people that actually still go onto forums to express their opinions, share ideas and information and have fun while doing it, not just to troll.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 24, 2009, 04:52:00 AM »
Why are you such the TF2 defender?

I stated it as a nit pick and an example of what was in the nitpicking summary. So who are you arguing with?
No one expects all movies to be perfect, we are just having fun pointing out flaws in this one.

Because some are completely silly. It is snobbish and I can't stand it when people pick apart extremely minor things in movies and it has gotten far worse with the internet. The fun is sapped out of movies when people are so nitpicky and snobbish, whether it is about CGI, popcorn flicks, or other things they deem to be beneath them. Makes me wonder if there are any people left that go to a movie to have a good time, not nitpick how many robots are mentioned as coming out of the water.

Worst. Post. Ever.

It's a stupid ass movie. No nitpicking; just reality. Michael Bay will and forever be a jackass.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 24, 2009, 05:06:18 AM »
Why are you such the TF2 defender?

I stated it as a nit pick and an example of what was in the nitpicking summary. So who are you arguing with?
No one expects all movies to be perfect, we are just having fun pointing out flaws in this one.

Because some are completely silly. It is snobbish and I can't stand it when people pick apart extremely minor things in movies and it has gotten far worse with the internet. The fun is sapped out of movies when people are so nitpicky and snobbish, whether it is about CGI, popcorn flicks, or other things they deem to be beneath them. Makes me wonder if there are any people left that go to a movie to have a good time, not nitpick how many robots are mentioned as coming out of the water.

Worst. Post. Ever.

It's a stupid ass movie. No nitpicking; just reality. Michael Bay will and forever be a jackass.

i mean the last movie was a good popcorn flick, its just this one was just bad. I would watch scenes from the movie if they were broken up and not put into THIS  narrative, i thought it visually was really good. From Megan fox to exploding robots....its just that the plot was horrendous. I remember going into the movie thinking "well i heard some people didnt like it, but i think im going to enjoy it anyways", and i was starting to until it became irredeemably stupid. Im betting though it would be wicked good on sort of drug. I can't follow storylines when im fucked up. I tried watching Ron Burgendy and Narnia, and i still WTF happened in Narnia. Transformers 2 as a visual movie proably works in that respect.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 24, 2009, 05:23:44 AM »
Paranormal Activity

I've been hearing rave reviews and some hype here around the forums so I was excited to see the screener pop out on the internet. Like all scary movies that have the potential to actually scare me, I watched this at home, alone, with all the lights turned off. I definitely couldn't help myself with a tagline like "Don't watch this alone." So after hooking up the labby to the projector and washing up some grapes, I finally sat down and pressed play.

Let me first say that I could have made this movie. There is nothing in this film that takes any amount of budget, but honestly, that's where it gets its charm. Too many scary movies rely on overzealous kills or crazy effects, but this one was straight forward the entire time. I'm positive this isn't real, but it felt  real. It's like the Blair Witch Project (which I liked) but done alot better.

Now for a little back story. This dude named Mikah and his girlfriend Katie have been experiencing some freaky **** lately. Katie has been experiencing this her entire life but it only just started again. Mikah decides to get a video camera and setup shop to document what happens. And this is the "footage" we see.

I'd like to admit something: this movie at times has some of the greatest scares I've seen in a long while. I'm not talking about "jumpy" scared, nor was it a clever trick in editing or sound or nothing like that. It is just really fucked up. Now I love being scared. Horror movies are my favorite genre. So when I see something crazy to the point where my hair stands up, I am highly entertained. And this movie was very entertaining. I found myself looking forward to the scares. There is a Day/Night aspect to the film that becomes more and more blurred as the movie goes on and I was on the edge of my seat every time night came around; giggling in anticipation.

This movie is pretty funny too. Mikah is a man after my own heart, saying things like "Your too cute to talk" and egging the "spirit" on. There's also this one part with a psychic that had me laughing my ass off.

I guess my only complaint would be the ending. But I won't delve into that.

I suggest you download it and watch it at home. Theaters tend to break the atmosphere.

9/10
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:26:08 AM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 24, 2009, 11:38:39 AM »
I told you it was good. But I hear the Paramount changed the ending from the one they had over 1.5yrs ago when I saw it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:30:10 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 24, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Really? The ending is the only reason I docked a point. Compared to the rest of the movie, it wasn't clever at all. It was too convenient.

I didn't look too deeply into it though since it is hard to end a horror movie. Not all movies can end like the "The Mist."

EDIT: So I guess what I watched was the original ending. What I've been reading around the internet was that there was an even better ending (of which I've read, and yes it is better) that is not in either version (original or theater). In terms of the differences between the endings, supposedly the original is more frightening and overall just better. So I would again suggest downloading it over watching the theater version.

I can't wait for the DVD release. Supposedly there's a bunch of different endings that will be included. Maybe after some of you watch it we can discuss how we would have shot the ending.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:07:14 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
Can you refresh me on the ending?
I don't remember exactly what happened, but I do remember slight disappointment with how it ended.
I think I even said the same thing you did right after watching it.

complaint, dismissal, acceptance, but I couldn't knock it "since it is hard to end a horror movie."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 24, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »
I think its extremely snobbish when people put down other people for finding something to nitpick in a movie, especially when it was made clear that it was all in fun anyway and in the end the person nitpicking admits to enjoying the film to some extent. I mean seriously, it's gotten so much worse on the internet when someone can make a post and someone else just decides its beneath them because it doesn't fall in line with their way of thinking. Makes me wonder if there's any people that actually still go onto forums to express their opinions, share ideas and information and have fun while doing it, not just to troll.

You is funny. Especially considering my post was directed at a common practice I see on the internet, go to IMDB if you don't believe me. Even Citizen Kane which many consider one of the best movies of all time has goofs and inconsistencies. Pretty much every movie out there has their share of mistakes both big and small. Transformers 2 gets special attention because it is cool to bash Michael Bay, and Transformers 2. Personally I found it better then the first in about every way. At least though most enjoyed the film and it made a ton of money, so the "better then thou" haters didn't win the fight like they sometimes do.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:38:23 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 24, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
Only read if you've already seen the movie or have no intention of watching it and are incapable of turning your brainoff to do so.

Transformers 2 FAQ

This goes through the entire movie and makes it very obvious why you have to overlook alot to enjoy this movie for what it is. Funny to read though.

Awesome. That was one of the funniest things I've read all month.

You is funny. Especially considering my post was directed at a common practice I see on the internet, go to IMDB if you don't believe me. Even Citizen Kane which many consider one of the best movies of all time has goofs and inconsistencies. Pretty much every movie out there has their share of mistakes both big and small. Transformers 2 gets special attention because it is cool to bash Michael Bay, and Transformers 2. Personally I found it better then the first in about every way. At least though most enjoyed the film and it made a ton of money, so the "better then thou" haters didn't win the fight like they sometimes do.

I think we only bash because of two reasons:

One -- It doesn't make any sense

and Two -- It's Transformers. I don't know about you, but I fuckin' love transformers and to see it, well, raped in such a fashion is beyond distrubing. Like Lindy said, it's like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Spielberg raped Indi in that movie and it's honestly really really sad.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:59:47 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 24, 2009, 03:59:31 PM »
Only read if you've already seen the movie or have no intention of watching it and are incapable of turning your brainoff to do so.

Transformers 2 FAQ

This goes through the entire movie and makes it very obvious why you have to overlook alot to enjoy this movie for what it is. Funny to read though.

Awesome. That was one of the funniest things I've read all month.

But like I said, it didn't even cover everything, look at the example in my initial review.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 24, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »
No need to cover it all. Just the most ridiculous stupid plot points will suffice; especially since there are a lot of them.

Ughh...I hope they don't **** up Beast Wars.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 25, 2009, 04:41:50 AM »
Paranormal activity - 8/10 I should have watched it alone. My mom kept complaining about how it isn't scary

nothing scares me more than ghosts! So this will make me think for days! Its already bad enough trying to get to sleep! Now i got this **** to think about.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 25, 2009, 05:07:55 AM »
and Two -- It's Transformers. I don't know about you, but I fuckin' love transformers and to see it, well, raped in such a fashion is beyond distrubing. Like Lindy said, it's like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Spielberg raped Indi in that movie and it's honestly really really sad.

Considering I liked Transformers I found Transformers 2 to be a pretty good adaptation with its own twist. I especially loved the classic Megatron and STarscream banter. With that said though, Beast Wars, IMO, is leaps and bounds better then G1 transformers which is very one dimensional. For Transformers or Transformers 2 to be better written then G1 (which I think they were, easily) even I would have to admit isn't a major task.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:41:47 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 25, 2009, 05:50:22 PM »
Toy Story Double Feature

Awesome/10

Enough said.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #539 on: October 25, 2009, 09:13:46 PM »
Transformers > in every possible way than Transformers 2.

Transformers was about the characters and, to some extent, the backstory.

Transformers 2 was about blowing sh*t up.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 31, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
Ravenous - 7/10 (recommended by Stogi)

This was a pretty good movie, but never before for this type of movie have I seen every other actor in the movie have more on screen spoken lines than the lead character. That might be a little over exaggerated, but you'll probably agree once you see it. This movie has a few part that leave you wondering how, but nothing beats the silly fight at the end. Just badly choreographed.

Near Dark - 7/10 (recommended by GP)

this movie plays a little loose on vampires and what time of day it is, but it's still entertaining. It's staring Nathan Petrelli from Heroes 20 years ago & he looks pretty much the same now as he did then.
Man picks up a woman, she turns out to not be exactly who he thought she was, learning to cope with his mistake is now his biggest struggle.

Cannibal Holocaust - ....Crazy Movie/Definitely not for everyone (or most people)

It's filmed like a documentary about a crew that goes into a remote jungle to film a cannibal tribe that has never been seen before. The film crew goes missing, so another film crew goes looking for them. All they find is the film that is left behind, that is the movie that you are now watching. Some scenes not for the faint at heart, and for being an older movie, it's crazy how realistic some of the grosser scenes are. *WARNING* actual animals are killed on film in this movie, not so sure about the humans *WARNING*

Diary of the Dead - 7.5/10

After the last 2 zombie movies I watched, I didn't have high hopes for this one. Zombie Diaries and Day of the Dead were horrible. Having said that, this one is much better and is also filmed in documentary style with everything you are seeing being filmed from 1 of the 2 camera that the group has when the outbreak starts.

Blood: The Last Vampire - 5/10

Not sure what I expected out of this movie since (it's based of the anime of the same name) I found the anime of it quite boring, but this movie was no different. There was action on the screen and things were happening, but none of it was really capturing and holding my interest for very long.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 06:21:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 31, 2009, 08:42:18 PM »
The Matrix - 35/40

I'd never seen this before, but last night a friend of mine made me watch it and I really enjoyed it despite it not really being the kind of thing I'd usually be into. It's too bad the sequels suck, I'd have liked to see where they went with them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 31, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »
BNM I'm actually going to watch Cannibal Holocaust tonight. Brain Dead is a pretty good horror movie (that's the original name, in the US I think it was originally called Dead Alive), but I haven't seen it in probably 10 years. The Matrix was good, but they should have never made it a trilogy. You can listen to the Warkasaihsinsdosksdi brothers say it was always meant to be a trilogy, but no, it wasn't. The first one made a **** ton of money, so they made one 4-hour-long sequel, cut it in half to make more money, and called it a trilogy.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 31, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »
Well you gotta remember that Aaliyah was originally cast and filming the Matrix sequels when she died. they had to write her out and cut all of her scenes then write in Jada to make up some plot holes. the 2 sequels were not done as envisioned but completed within the allowed budget.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:48 AM »
I just watched Cannibal Holocaust. It's a pretty fucked up movie. None of the human actors were actually killed (though "The Last Road To Hell" footage did feature actual human executions), but Jesus Christ it sure looked like they did. The director was originally arrested and charged with murder, and had to prove that the four actors (and the girl from the impalement scene) were actually alive. The actors had originally signed contracts to keep them out of the media for one year after the film's release, but he voided those contracts to prove his innocence, and explained how they filmed the impalement scene, along with providing photos. Pretty fucked up movie indeed.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 01, 2009, 01:00:37 AM »
BTW, if anyone has any interest in watching it, you can, uncut, for free, legally...on Google video.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 01, 2009, 03:28:15 PM »
Diary of the Dead - 7.5/10

After the last 2 zombie movies I watched, I didn't have high hopes for this one. Zombie Diaries and Day of the Dead were horrible. Having said that, this one is much better and is also filmed in documentary style with everything you are seeing being filmed from 1 of the 2 camera that the group has when the outbreak starts.

I've yet to see this one.. i should really get around to that.
May i ask which version of Day of the Dead you saw? I never saw the remake but I always did like the original day of the Dead. I hated it at first, but it grew on me in an odd way.. 
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 01, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
The remake (2008). It was really bad.
never saw the original

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 01, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
The remake (2008). It was really bad.
never saw the original

Ah i see. I'm sure I mentioned never having seen the remake, in fact I didn't even know it was remade since as far as i know it never had a theatrical release.

It's hard to to be able to suggest the original or assume its better than the remake you saw.. but i'd say check it out if you ever had the chance.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #549 on: November 02, 2009, 03:49:54 PM »
The Thing from Another World: Great script, but it's kind of Frankenstein in Antarctica.

The Thing (1982): My favorite horror movie. Ever-watchable.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.