Author Topic: Top 5 Wii U Games: Through the Launch Window Glass  (Read 9089 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Top 5 Wii U Games: Through the Launch Window Glass
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »

The Wii U's launch window was filled with delays and no-shows, but still, some awesome games came out.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/33858

Nintendo defined the Wii U launch window as a more than four-month period, which is a little bit ridiculous. Still, that window of time, beginning with the system's launch on November 18, 2012 and ending on March 31, 2013, produced a lot of quality games.

The quantity might not have been there, but this list, assembled by some of our staff, was tougher than we thought to finalize. While the Wii U game drought has been often disparaged, we still have more than five great games on the system after just four months. Unfortunately, some of those were on other systems, too, but nevertheless, a good game is a good game.

Check out our Top 5 Wii U Games from the launch window over the next week.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Wii U Games: Through the Launch Window Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
The puzzles in Little Inferno are no where near as rewarding as Picross because they involve association not logic. I really don't think it's much of a game and find it boring. I regret spending $5 on it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:43:03 PM by Schadenfreude »

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
Wii U's post launch has been slow, but the launch itself was pretty awesome. A top five is really tough. Looking forward to seeing all of your picks.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:38:48 PM »
I agree about Little Inferno being top five. I find the cat the most disturbing so far.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »
Little Inferno is on sale for 5 Euro right now...

Still doesn't feel like a good price from what i read though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:22:28 PM »
I don't think Little Inferno is for everyone, but I'm a huge fan of point-and-click adventure games and I think that for some reason Little Inferno REALLY scratched that itch for me. I was really happy to have bought it at launch for that reason... or maybe I just really wanted to burn things...

Also... I am very happy that Lego City: Undercover is on this list. I haven't beat it yet, but I really enjoy being able to freely explore such the city, and it's such a wonderfully dense environment in terms of things to look at, puzzles to solve, or collectibles to discover.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Tony_342

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:18:58 AM »
Completely agree with this. I'm still confused about some of ZombiU's bad reviews. Example: a "weak link in the Wii U's launch." Really, GameSpot? It is still the best game on Wii U.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
I'm baffled when I see poor reviews for Zombi U. I've had some friends, hardcore gaming enthusiasts, come by recently. They haven't really seen the Wii U yet (why, Nintendo?! How they've failed to promote this thing so much is beyond me), so in these cases, I bust out Zombi U. That's about four new Wii U owners, thanks partially to the merits of this unique game.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
Can't disagree with a single entry so far. Funky Barn will, of course, be number one.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
I don't have a WiiU yet, but a big sad part of me wants to buy one just to play NSMBU.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
So I love it that the #3 game, ZombiU states that it is the best game on the Wii U period.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
NSMBU for #1 Seriously...
Seriously...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »
NSMBU is the only game i played of top 5, so i agree.

I have a feeling that even if i played other games nothing would change.

The game is still tremendously fun.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
Did no one like Nintendo Land, or does it not count because it was a pack-in?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
I really liked Nano Assault Neo as well.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 02:22:21 AM »
Did no one like Nintendo Land, or does it not count because it was a pack-in?

Having the game require multiplayer for most of the good games probably hurt it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 04:31:12 AM »
Of those top 5 the only title I've spent any significant time with was NSMB U.

Not to be a downer, but I can't help but feel vindicated in my decision not to purchase a Wii U until I feel it's warranted. For as much as I had fun playing NSMB U on my sister's Wii U, I can honestly say it holds a limited appeal for me. It was a low impact fun, and yet at the same time kind of...boring.

Zombie U does look super interesting. I'd love to give it a shot, but it's not necessarily something that I would buy the system for.

Runner 2 looks incredible, and I have no doubt I would enjoy that just as much as I enjoyed the original; but then again, it's not a game that I have to play on Wii U (Once I'm done with Fire Emblem I think I'm going to pick this up on Steam).

Hopefully some day soon there will be enough Wii U games which pique my interest, or one single game which I can't live without (Metroid Prime 4?), and when that happens the weights will tip. Until that happens though I'm happy to remain on the side-lines.

Great feature guys.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:39:57 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
boost mode can really mess with the level design, you can reverse the direction of cogs in the castle for example

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »
So I love it that the #3 game, ZombiU states that it is the best game on the Wii U period.

It's my personal opinion that ZombiU is the best, but the voting didn't come out that way. So NWR says Mario, but I say for ZombiU :p.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »
One day people will look back, see how Nintendo Land was relatively ignored and dismissed by early adopters, and weep great tears of shame on behalf of their ancestors.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
One day people will look back, see how Nintendo Land was relatively ignored and dismissed by early adopters, and weep great tears of shame on behalf of their ancestors.

Or we will look back and wonder how Nintendo thought they could get away with making several mini games which were effectively variations on hide 'n' seek.  :P:
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »

Or we will look back and wonder how Nintendo thought they could get away with making several mini games which were effectively variations on hide 'n' seek.  :P:
Until Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I'm Sure NintendoLand was easily my most played.  My Son loves to play it.

If WiiU had the Activity Log from the 3DS *Hint Hint Nintendo* I could tell you exactly.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »

Until Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I'm Sure NintendoLand was easily my most played.  My Son loves to play it.

If WiiU had the Activity Log from the 3DS *Hint Hint Nintendo* I could tell you exactly.
Ceric, you can. Click on the game's avatar icon to see individual total game time. It's there. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »

Or we will look back and wonder how Nintendo thought they could get away with making several mini games which were effectively variations on hide 'n' seek.  :P: :

And they're all great! Well, Mario Chase kinda sucks, but the other two are fantastic.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »
Ahaha. I'm not knocking it. Hide 'n' Seek is a lot of fun...when you're 5.  ;D
Gouge away.