Author Topic: Top 10 3DS eShop Games (As of Now)  (Read 9173 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Top 10 3DS eShop Games (As of Now)
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »

May your Top 10 lists be Muddy, Mighty, or Pushy.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/32698

Usually, we reserve the Top 10 totality of a system's games until the end of its lifespan. However, since the 3DS eShop has been home to some of our favorite experiences on the system, it seemed right to highlight our current Top 10 on the system as of the end of November 2012.

The concept behind this is that three staffers (Tyler Ohlew, Patrick Barnett, and Neal Ronaghan) teamed up to make a Top 10 list of their favorite 3DS eShop games. Every few months, depending on how many games come out, we'll get a few other staffers and get their two cents on our list, tweaking it if they want. In the end, we should have a tried-and-true Top 10 list that evolves over the years. For now, we just have a list of 10 awesome 3DS games.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline zeeroid

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 3DS eShop Games (As of Now)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
Something appears to have gone horribly awry in the writing of this feature.

Crashmo is 7 spots too low. Don't worry, we all make mistakes now and then.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
Heh, considering the blurb given this article, "May your Top 10 lists be Muddy, Mighty, or Pushy", you may as well have posted all the titles since we now know 7 of the top ten.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
Honestly, though, wouldn't this be an factually incorrect list if MSF, Mutant Mudds, and Pushmo weren't on it? I honestly don't think the list is full of too many surprises if you really think about it (and look at our review scores for these games). The ordering might be surprising, but that's it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »
I'm with Zeeriod. Fallblox/Crashmo is by a long margin my favourite eShop game and is way too good to be placed at 7th in my opinion. I guess that's what it's all about though, right? Opinions. I probably shouldn't be surprised though, these staff top 10s always seem to differ very much from my own.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:01:00 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
Blame Tyler and Patrick. If I had my druthers, Crashmo would be sitting #2 or #3.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »
Remember when the community voted for their top 10 first and third party games on Wii? Was anything ever done with those votes, because if so I must have missed it. Anyone got the link?
Gouge away.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »

eShop has been the saving grace for my 3DS, as I've gotten more enjoyment there than from retail releases so far. The tide is slowly turning, and a handful of decent Fall releases probably puches retail ahead overall... but I haven't played them yet so will reserve judgement.

Without these digital games my 3DS would've spent a lot of time in the cradle.
Can't wait for the Fluidity sequel later this month.

Remember when the community voted for their top 10 first and third party games on Wii? Was anything ever done with those votes, because if so I must have missed it. Anyone got the link?

I was wondering the same thing.
NNID: ejamer

Offline FreudianLemur

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
But Cave Story isn't out here yet! Not fair!
So you wanna hold a pig, eh?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
I wonder if they'll release any compilations in the future, like the Bit.Trip series.

Offline tylerohlew

• NWR Staff
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »
Blame Tyler and Patrick. If I had my druthers, Crashmo would be sitting #2 or #3.

That's right. Not on my watch, Ronaghan!

I like Pushmo, so it's on the list. I didn't want to reward sequels though, especially when there's so much great, original content.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »
I wonder if they'll release any compilations in the future, like the Bit.Trip series.

Isn't Bit.Trip.Saga coming to the eShop soon? (and for only $15 to boot!) Or do you mean other compilations?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
I like Pushmo, so it's on the list. I didn't want to reward sequels though, especially when there's so much great, original content.

Crashmo is so much more interesting than Pushmo though. Those Challenge B puzzles in Crashmo were the most fun I think I've ever had with a puzzle game.

As awesome as Pushmo was, the second half of that game began to recycle concepts with the result that latter puzzles amounted to more complex and larger versions of the previous puzzles; more time consuming? Yes, but there was no essential shift or evolution. Crashmo on the other hand evolved throughout the course of the game so that by the end you were playing a completely different game than the one you began. It truely was incredible.

As I've said elsewhere, Crashmo in my eyes is second only to 3D Land in terms of pure enjoyment.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:07:07 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
As for that community top 10...my bad, guys. :(

List is in my documents somewhere, and it was weirdly similar to the staff top 10, if I recall correctly. I'll dig it up soon.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.
I was actually wondering this too.

Isn't Bit.Trip.Saga coming to the eShop soon? (and for only $15 to boot!) Or do you mean other compilations?
I mean compilations of eShop games released at retail, like how Bit.Trip Complete is six WiiWare games released on a Wii disc. I don't like buying digital games for personal reasons, so I'd like to see some of them released in physical form somehow.

Offline zeeroid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
I would under most circumstances agree with the sequel non-rewarding, but Crashmo is not only the successor to a new IP, but changes so fundamentally the gameplay mechanics of Pushmo that, I believe, it deserves to be rewarded especially as such, because it's a damn impressive feat they've pulled off.

Not only that, but it fixes many of the common complaints with Pushmo such as the overlong, unskippable tutorial, gradual unlocking of key features, and repetitive music without much variety.

Crashmo, you guys!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:15:30 PM by zeeroid »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
List is in my documents somewhere, and it was weirdly similar to the staff top 10, if I recall correctly. I'll dig it up soon.

Weirdly similar indeed - although I think that due to the scoring process this isn't a surprise. In fact, wasn't that part of the point: to see exactly how similar the lists would be?  Thanks for posting the results in the forum thread!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
Honestly, though, wouldn't this be an factually incorrect list if MSF, Mutant Mudds, and Pushmo weren't on it? I honestly don't think the list is full of too many surprises if you really think about it (and look at our review scores for these games). The ordering might be surprising, but that's it.

True. I'm sure it is the ranking of games that always makes for the biggest discussion but I'm not concerned with rankings. When I look at lists like this, I'm just interested in what the games actually are. It's like movies. Does it really matter if Citizen Kane or Vertigo is considered the best movie of all time? They are both worth watching and both constantly show up on great movie lists so I'll check them both out. Likewise, just because one list might have Crashmo over Pushmo and another list Pushmo over Crashmo doesn't make either list invalid to me. It just means that both lists highly rate those games and they are worth checking out.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:50:56 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline FreudianLemur

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
I'd say you got Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball the wrong way round. As much as I love Blade, Excalibur and Earth Defense and Shaman are better IMO.
So you wanna hold a pig, eh?

Offline zeeroid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
Shaman is not better than anything :P
Turrible.

I actually grew to like El Dorado a fair bit though.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »
I'm going to say something now just in case it comes up later.

I really hope 'Colors 3D' ends up on the list (even though that North American spelling sickens me  :P: ). In other words, I hope that it's not disqualified because it's not...you know...a game.
Gouge away.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
I'm going to say something now just in case it comes up later.

I really hope 'Colors 3D' ends up on the list (even though that North American spelling sickens me  :P: : ). In other words, I hope that it's not disqualified because it's not...you know...a game.

Colors 3D is by far one of the best apps available on 3DS, and very deserving to be on the top half of the list. I doubt it'll be there because, as you say, it's not a game... but the use of 3D is brilliant and the online features are superb.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
Really glad to see the inclusion of Denpa Men here. It might be repetitive and frustratingly difficult, but there's a magic in looking through the 3DS, seeing all these dudes floating around, and capturing them with a net. The quirky personalities and unique, simple appearance of each Man lifts this up beyond a generic dungeon crawler. I might have given up after 10+ hours (darn you Bog Monster-thing) but there's nothing quite like it anywhere else.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline WiiUIVLife

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
NWR... do you have any plans on releasing the top 10 eShop games for the Wii U?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
NWR... do you have any plans on releasing the top 10 eShop games for the Wii U?

They probably will eventually, right now there are only 5 games on the Wii U's eShop though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20