Author Topic: Backlaugust 2020 - Primed and Ready to clear some backlogs.  (Read 37331 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2020 - Primed and Ready to clear some backlogs.
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
For pokepal148, I went through the thread to tally up what's been happening. You can use this as a tally cutoff point and then just have to monitor what is added going forward.

RABicle

Dragon Quest Builders 2
Where The Goats Are
Rayman Legends
Ever Oasis
Boxboy + Boxgirl
BOXBOXBOY
Chase: Cold Case Investigations - Distant Memories
The Starship Damrey
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Pushmo / Pullblox
Super Metroid
Edge
Retro City Rampage DX
World of Tennis (Retired)

Total: 14

TOPHATANT123

Metroid Prime 3
Earthbound

Total: 2

Pokepal148

Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
Metroid: Zero Mission

Total: 2

Khushrenada

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Yoshi's New Island
Kirby's Star Stacker
Adventure Island GB
Super Paper Mario
Pushmo World

Total: 6

NWR_Lindy

Mega Man X

Total: 1

Luigi Dude

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castlevania: The Adventure
Castlevania II: Belmont'S Revenge

Total: 3 (Also mentions beating Rondo of Blood which he's played before and Dracula X which he bought this month. Your call on if you want to count them or not.)

Nickmitch

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Did you beat it? You said you were close weeks ago and there's been no update)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2020, 07:34:24 PM »
Nickmitch

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Did you beat it? You said you were close weeks ago and there's been no update)

No. School started picking up, and I kinda haven't touched it. :(
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2020, 11:26:12 PM »
School? School's out forever. Covid killed it.

Well, I have now finished A Case of Distrust so that is another one down.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:07:29 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 02:43:04 AM »
Kirby's Adventure is now beat as well. Thank goodness. Probably my least favorite Kirby game. First time I've beaten the NES game. I've played and beaten the GBA remake before. Still, this should help get RAB sweating a bit more now.  8)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:07:42 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2020, 08:12:48 AM »
BotW update. Just if finished the volcano divine beast. Definitely the easiest one so far.

Next, I will head to the Zora divine beast, then I will have to go back and defeat the boss of the desert one.
I have made some progress on shrines, but I don't have enough hearts to get the master sword yet, although I have trekked through the forest to find it.

The Wii U play log says I have put a bit over 25 hours into BotW so far. That's a lot more than I was expecting.
I'm hoping to get the game finished the game finished this weekend.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
Alright people. So, I'm at world 7 in Kirby's Dream Land 2. I fully expect to be posting later tonight of finishing that game. Was hoping to do that last night but just didn't have enough time. That will put me at 9 games. I feel pretty sure that I can have Toki Tori 3D beat by Aug. 31. That would put me at 10 games. What else can I do to maybe catch or pass RAB? With this final weekend, I can spend a lot of time tonight, tomorrow and Sunday to make a big push.

I've got Balloon Kid for GB VC. I'm hoping it could be a quicker title to play. There's Kirby's Dream Land 3 on the Kirby 20th Anniversary Collection that could doable. Is Ducktales Remastered on Wii U a long game? Hmmm. I do have a bunch of Just Dance titles I could get through. But is my body ready? Runner 3, Bomberman R, World of Goo, Katamari Damacy Reroll? Would any of those be possible in a short time frame? 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2020, 12:29:45 AM »
Update: because Kushrenada publicly shamed me, I beat Luigi's Mansion 3 last night.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2020, 02:06:20 AM »
Lol!! Congrats! Well done.

Kirby's Dream Land 2. I fully expect to be posting later tonight of finishing that game.

Allow me to shame myself by doing poorly in a Kirby game. I've saved the game at the Final boss encounter but I have yet to beat Dark Matter. It took longer than expected to get some of the Rainbow Drop pieces to unlock that boss and then I went through a period of just sucking against King Dedede. Finally got through him to fight Dark Matter. The first time it took me awhile to figure out how to injure DM and then I lost. The second time I was rocking and got to the second form which I then wasn't sure what to do (and still not quite certain) and lost but got so close to taking that second form down. It had three little bars left. I guess that did something to me because in my next couple encounters, I stunk it up but getting injured a bunch in the first form to hardly give myself a chance in the second form. I think fatigue set in. I feel ready for bed even as I type this. So, hopefully I can finish this quickly in the morning. Also made some more good progress with Toki Tori so that's still on track for finishing this month.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2020, 12:19:01 PM »
I have finished The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. It is very good.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:16:59 PM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »
I seem to be one of the few people that was pretty positive on Yoshi's Island DS based on what I recall of what other users posted about it back in the day when it came out.
I also liked Yoshi's Island DS well enough. It's been a long time since I played it so I don't remember it very much right now; I should give it another go sometime. I do know that I did like the different abilities like you mentioned, and the level design was mostly decent, with the game trying a number of new ideas instead of just sticking with the stuff the original did.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for Yoshi's NEW Island, you seemed to like that one more than I did. I definitely consider it one of the worst 3DS games I've played. Like you say, it's just too derivative of the first game, except I felt it's all done in a worse fashion. Level design, visuals, music, all worse, while at the same time not really offering much new. The new stuff is pretty gimmicky like you say. With that said, I wouldn't say the game is necessarily bad, just utterly mediocre. But the thing about that is, sometimes those are the worst games of all. Games with absolutely nothing noteworthy, that they aren't remarkable or memorable in any discernible way, good or bad, giving not much to really say or think about.

The graphics are actually one of the things I didn't like about Yoshi's NEW island, particularly when it comes to the characters. It has a weird mishmash of having 3D characters (or are they pre-rendered 3D? Can't remember) with 2D environments that just didn't work for me, with the characters in particular just looking ugly and having jerky, awkward animation. I especially don't like the look of Yoshi and his missing legs; I'm aware that Yoshi doesn't have visible legs in the original Yoshi's Island which I've always thought was strange there as well, but it at least fits in better with the style of that game, and was probably partially done to work around system limitations. I s'pose you mentioned the backgrounds though, those were probably okay.

I never go for 100% in these games though, so I didn't try to do that with any of these Yoshi's Island games. And now I can cross off this post from my posting backlogue.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
I have reached the credits of Bury Me, My Love. Certainly a bad end and I think I would prefer to play this game on the phone over the course of two weeks. Maybe next time.

At this point, it is now functinoally impossible for me to finish many of teh games on my list. Tomorrow I will focus on Detention, Little Red Lie and Starfox Zero
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:52:09 PM by RABicle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2020, 03:30:11 AM »
More and more people have been pulling me aside wanting to know how I'm doing and what it's like going 2 days without seeing a credits reel. Gotta say, it's been hard. ;) But fortunately I was able to correct that this morning by beating Dark Matter in Kirby's Dream Land 2. Dark Matter definitely earned its rank as Final Boss. I really enjoyed my time with KDL2. That's the first time I've ever beat or played through it. Of the Game Boy games I've now played, it's easily in the Top 5. In fact, going by the chronological release history of Kirby games, I feel it is the first-must play Kirby game that was released for anyone looking to just play the best the series has to offer. It just makes the 4.5 review of it on NWR all that much more shameful.

Having played it and now going into Kirby's Dream Land 3, it actually has made me appreciate KDL3 even more. It's taken me awhile to warm up to KDL3. I've always wanted to like it but the first time I played it on the SNES, I was expecting something more like KSS where abilities have multiple powers. Instead the abilities were a single power although your animal friends could provide a twist on them. While there is a puzzle/mission to solve each level, how to accomplish it or what might be needed can sometimes be vague and sometimes easy to figure out. It left me rather disappointed at the time but I always meant to revisit it at some point. With the Kirby's Anniversary Collection, I thought that would be the opportunity to reappraise it. Instead, it ended up being on the SNES Switch app where I played it co-op with Mop it up. She's a big fan. While it was a better experience and I enjoyed seeing her know what to do in order to complete each mission, I was left with the impression still of this being a middle of the road Kirby platformer like Squeak Squad or The Amazing Mirror. However, that might have come from my instance at playing Gooey when we did co-op. I wanted to be the Gooester because I've always liked the look of him and can play Kirby anytime in single player so I might as well play it through with Gooey in case I never got another chance. But Gooey is not quite the same as Kirby and what he can do. Coming back to KDL3 now after almost a year later and playing it with Kirby while getting all the KDL2 references in it, the game is finally gelling with me and I'm finally loving it. Thanks to the Super Guide that is Mop, I was able to recall most of the missions and what to do. There's just been a couple I've had to look up. It's been a long journey but I'm finally ready to give KDL3 its due as part of the top tier of Kirby games also.

I've got 4 levels that I still need to complete the mission of. The getting Rick to the female hamster level is going to be the toughest challenge I think. It was tough when Mop and I did it in co-op and we had the rewind feature to help us out a bit to save some time there. Don't have it now. Hopefully it won't hold me back too long and I'll be able to wrap this game up quickly tomorrow morning. Also the mini-game of remembering which Gordo makes which sound is going to be challenging.

Toki Tori progress continues along nicely. Have 10 normal puzzles to go and I'm hoping by the end of those they get me to the credits screen. RABicle's been able to come along and pad his lead today so that should keep him safe from being surpassed now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 04:59:07 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2020, 04:57:53 AM »
Actually, who needs sleep? Kirby's Dream Land 3 is now beat. I wonder if I should hook up my SNES and quickly beat it again now. Hahaha! That makes 10 games. Double digits, baby!!

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2020, 07:28:08 AM »
BotW is finished!

I played it for 6 hours today. I Went to Zora's Domain, got the shock arrows, then went to the divine beast. The bit where you have to hit away the ice blocks is really annoying.
That divine beast is quite easy, so it didn't take too long.
I did another shrine or two to get another heart.
Then I went back to defeat the Desert boss. It was still really annoying, but I did it after a few tries.
Then I had 13 hearts, so I went and grabbed the master sword.
 Next, I went straight to the castle, to avoid most of the guardians, I climbed up the side, as close as possible to the entrance.
I went in and died very quickly.so I watched a video guide on on it, just so I knew what to expect. Then I defeated it without too much trouble.
I nearly failed the outside part of the battle. I didn't quite understand when I was supposed to shoot the eye. I got hit by the powerful attack, but Mipha's power brought me back.

Overall play time was 31 and a half hours. I'm very happy with that. I didn't want to take forever getting through it. Its especially good getting it done before the end of the month for the purpose of this topic.

I'm very happy I have finally been able to play it. Now I can say I have played through both the Switch and Wii U versions.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »
BotW is finished!

I played it for 6 hours today. I Went to Zora's Domain, got the shock arrows, then went to the divine beast. The bit where you have to hit away the ice blocks is really annoying.

Nice! I remember trying to poke the ice cubes out the air at first with a lance which is indeed cumbersome. But if you use Cryosis you can destroy them in mid-air with ease, especially when using gyro aiming on the Gamepad.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
Should completing the same game on a different platform really count for this? I don't think that really counts as a backlogue game since it's one someone has already completed before.

With that note...

Khushrenada, while it's nice to see you have a better appreciation for Kirby's Dream Land 3, we already completed it on NSO. Doesn't that make it a game you've already played and completed before?

We're gonna need a panel of judges for this!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2020, 07:37:19 PM »
I'm not sure why you would question that. If I own DKC on SNES and can play it on the Switch, just because I've completed the Switch release doesn't mean I can go to my SNES copy and now have that save file there or vice-versa. I still need to complete that game for that system. With my Backlog account, I wouldn't complete DKC on SNES and then go and also say the GBA version or SNES Mini version or Switch online or 3DS VC or Wii U VC version was also complete and mark them all as beaten. Anytime I purchase a game and add it to my collection, it is for the purpose of playing it and beating it whether I have that title already on a different console form or not. The only thing I haven't really counted is Switch SNES Online games since that's a subscription thing and not something I own. It's just there for convenience now if I want to play one of those titles.

Moving on, I have now finished the Normal puzzles in Toki Tori 3D and seen the credits so that moves to the Beat pile. In addition, I've also finished Balloon Kid for GB VC. That game is out for blood in the end. It's like the designers were upset someone might progress that far!

That brings my total to 12 no matter how Mop it up may try to slander me otherwise!!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
I'm very happy I have finally been able to play it. Now I can say I have played through both the Switch and Wii U versions.

You can't beat the same game twice! If you already beat it on Wii U then you've already beaten it on Switch! I'll let Mop it up explain but none of this counted. You actually haven't played anything this month. :evil;

But seriously, nicely done. That's a faster finishing time then I'd have thought for just tackling the main story like that.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2020, 07:48:34 PM »
If you get a game you've already played, you're getting it to re-play it, not playing it for the first time again. I dunno, to me this all just sounds like loophole jargon being used to inflate the numbers. Which I suppose is a very Khushenada thing to do after all, hee hee. And now I wait for him to go play every version of, say, Super Mario Bros. that's out there just so he can boost his count and overtake RABicle at the last moment.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
And now I wait for him to go play every version of, say, Super Mario Bros. that's out there just so he can boost his count and overtake RABicle at the last moment.

Hmmm. That's not a bad idea. Thanks Mop!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »
If you get a game you've already played, you're getting it to re-play it, not playing it for the first time again. I dunno, to me this all just sounds like loophole jargon being used to inflate the numbers. Which I suppose is a very Khushenada thing to do after all, hee hee. And now I wait for him to go play every version of, say, Super Mario Bros. that's out there just so he can boost his count and overtake RABicle at the last moment.

So if we're allowed to use games we've beat before and use loopholes then Kush just gave me the win.  The Castlevania Collection contains the Japanese versions of all the games except Simons Quest, plus some of these games do have different characters, endings and routes to take.  So does that mean each time I beat a game with a different character, or achieve a new ending, I can count that as a new total as well?

Lets see here

Castlevania

Beaten once

AkumajŨ Dracula(Japanese version of Castlevania)

Beaten once

Castlevania 2: Simons Quest

Beaten once with the worst endings
Beaten once with the best ending

Castlevania: The Adventure

Beaten once, but save states were used because I couldn't stand the game by the end.

Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

Beaten as Trevor alone
Beaten with Sypha as partner
Beaten with Alucard as partner

AkumajŨ Densetsu(Japanese version of Castlevania 3)

Beaten with Grant as partner
Beaten with Alucard as partner

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

Beaten once

Dracula Densetsu II(Japanese version of Belmonts Revenge)

Beaten once

AkumajŨ Dracula (Japanese version of Super Castlevania IV)

Beaten once on Normal
Beaten once on Hard

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Beaten once as John on Normal
Beaten once as John on Expert

Vampire Killer
(Japanese version of Bloodlines)

Beaten once as Eric on Normal
Beaten once as Eric on Expert

Kid Dracula

Beaten once

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

Beaten once as Richter taking the top route stages
Beaten once as Richter using the lower route stages

Dracula X

Beaten once with the worst ending
Beaten once with Maria saved but not Annette
Beaten once with both Maria and Annette saved

So that's technically 24 games beaten, or 23 if The Adventure doesn't count because of save state use.  Hehe, I love those loopholes. ;D
Iā€™m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2020, 03:34:43 AM »
Hey now! It's not a competition! This is just for fun.... *kicks rock whole holding hands behind his back and looking down sadly*

But the way I think pokepal148 is "judging" this is by the Backloggery criteria in which one might mark a game as Beaten meaning "The main objective has been accomplished. Usually marked by the defeat of a final boss and/or viewing of credits" or Completed meaning "For games which are 100% done. All extras and modes have been unlocked and finished. All significant items have been collected". So, the first time you beat a game and achieve end credits would have it fall under the beaten category. But every time you go and get a different ending or play through as a different character would be part of the Completed category as you work to mine away at all the game has to offer. But Completed can only be counted once from when all of those extra tasks or modes are finished. If you played it through again with another character and beat it then that doesn't count as a new Beaten entry. If there was another character one still had to play through then it doesn't count as a Completed entry either until that's done. Now should a game get two points for being Beaten and Completed? That's something I'm not going to worry about. Earlier I beat Yoshi's New Island and then I kept playing and unlocked all the bonus levels and completed them but I didn't list the game twice in this thread for accomplishing both tasks.

However, the main purpose of this thread was to have a friendly competition between us and Negative World report to see which community might finish the most games. So, I say let's count all your various titles and just make this competition a blowout. It was only when RABicle posted his comment too me after I mentioned finishing Yoshi's New Island that it wasn't a competition but he's winning that I thought I'd see if I could give him a run for his money.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2020, 03:43:47 AM »
Also, thanks to Mop it up, I have now beaten the following:

Super Mario Bros. on 3DS VC. Thank you Ambassador Program.

Super Mario Bros. on Wii U VC. Thank you Dan Laser for the free game coupon.

Super Mario Bros. in Animal Crossing GC. Have a bunch of NES games there I've never gotten around to.

Super Mario Bros. on Switch NES Online. Since pokepal148 counted Steefosaurus doing it earlier in this thread I guess I should take advantage as well.

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on GBC VC. Thanks to everyone recommending it awhile ago in my Best of eShop series I keep meaning to get back to.

That's 5 which puts me at 17 and 1 ahead of RABicle now. Also, this is a joke. I haven't actually gone and done this today. But I did like Mop it up's suggestion of how I could "game" the system although Luigi Dude has clearly taken that suggestion and run even more wild with it.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2020, 10:26:11 AM »
I have completed Little Red Lie.

You know I've never actually beaten Super Mario Bros 2. Maybe I should find a copy of that somehwere and sort that out in the last hour and a half I have before midnight and the end of August.

Also Khush, SMB:D on GBC actually plays slightly different to the other SMB games. The physics are just a bit off and so it can be considered a unique challenge in of itself.

And remember everyone. This isn't a competition, but I won.

I will write a full wash up tomorrw. September starts with a board meeting for me and I'll jsut in the office typing to pretend to prepare for it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:39:50 AM by RABicle »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2020, 12:37:30 AM »
Well, I wrap up August having now beat Kirby's Pinball Land for GB VC and Ducktales Remastered on Wii U. Maybe I could have pulled off Super Bomberman R for Switch if I stayed a bit more focused yesterday and today but 6 games in about 3 days is pretty darn good. That puts me at 14 for the month which is all-in-all pretty impressive and I'm not sure I've ever pulled something like that off before. Thanks RABicle for giving me something to suddenly push for. Who knows what might have happened had you suddenly challenged me early on instead of the 11th of the month?  :o

With Kirby's Pinball Land beat, that means I've now played through pretty much everything of the Kirby series in the 90s. In Chronological release order, there's only two games now I've really yet to play from the Kirby series in the 90s and 2000s and that is Kirby Tilt N' Tumble for GBC and Kirby's Air Ride for GC. I've dabbled in Air Ride before but never owned a GBC or Tilt N' Tumble so that could be a challenge or pricey barrier for one game. I still need to beat Kirby's Avalanche and Kirby's Dream Course. Got close on both and then never sealed the deal. I just didn't seem to be good enough at Puyo Puyo and I don't know why I didn't push through to the end of Dream Course after getting stumped a bit. Maybe next August.  ;)

14 games for me, 14 games for Luigi Dude and 17 for RABicle. That combined will have really helped us clobber Negative World report. By beating them, they have to shut down their forum and become part of our community now, right? Isn't that how this works?  ;D