Author Topic: Matt Calls Out IGN Editors in Defense of Zelda and GOTY  (Read 9256 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:Matt Calls Out IGN Editors in Defense of Zelda and GOTY
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 05:12:31 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"I know a lot of people were annoyed that they were forced to get the game alongside the Wii"

At the time I recall there being more of a complaint of being forced to PAY for it.  Remember that the Japanese Wii didn't come with WiiSports but cost less money when converted to American dollars.  Thus many assumed that this wasn't a "free" game at all but rather a forced bundle that we had to absorb the cost of ourselves.

Yeah, but by now people don't care anymore as Wii sports has become the gateway drug I predicted it would be and like SB has mentioned before it pretty much guarantees that a Wii is sold.

Seriously, my mom was extremely dubious about the Wii, but once she got the hang of it she couldn't get enough and wouldn't stop singing its praises.

This wouldn't have happened if the game was sold separately.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
RE: Matt Calls Out IGN Editors in Defense of Zelda and GOTY
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 05:12:43 PM »
I already made myself a "Matt Is Right" T-shirt.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »

Originally posted by: ThePerm
the power of wii sports is surprising, i come home from school and theres a ton of people playing my wii everyday

Like, random people off the street?

Lock your door, man!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 03:38:29 AM »
..but the bias only really matters in stupid awards ceremonies.  The rest of the year you're reading the Nintendo channels as written by people who like Nintendo.

You know, Matt's single biggest anti-Nintendo streak, and the one that got him a ton of flack on here, was when he was dissing DS vs. PSP in their early days.  And frankly, I agreed with him.  I personally preferred DS, but DS' first half-year on the market was weak: the launch games were mediocre, and PSP launched with as many games as DS managed to put out in the entire first 5 months of its life.  Going strictly by the games, DS had some really neat ideas early on, but the game selection didn't reach "must have" status until the end of 2005.

I agree with someone else who commented that Matt is too picky about graphics, but overall I think he's pretty good.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 04:35:14 AM »
From what I read it sounds like it be like if NWR would give all the NWR awards for each other system out there that wasn't a covered Nintendo System...  Shoot NWR probably do better...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 04:42:47 AM »
I just thought of something that could have hurt Twilight Princess even if the other editors put some time into it.  The game actually starts off pretty weak.  For the first several hours of gameplay the progession is a really linear and it's not until after the third dungeon that you're given that usual Zelda freedom to just explore the world.  Initially large chunks of the world are in Twilight.  I think the game took a while to really get going.  I was willing to work through it because it's Zelda and I knew it would get better but someone with a natural bias against Nintendo wouldn't have such patience.  Most Zelda games let you roam around pretty early on after a brief intro but both Cube Zeldas seem to take forever to really get going.  I certainly would never use either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess to introduce Zelda to someone.

Still any game editor of any sort of credibility should be familiar enough with Zelda to WANT to beat Twilight Princess, let alone just try it out.  Have you ever met anyone with a serious interest in gaming that DIDN'T like Zelda?  That's that universal game series that everyone loves.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 05:28:33 AM »
I thought the exact opposite about Zelda, it just went downhill after the well-paced beginning.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 05:31:49 AM »
Fanboy fluff.  Japan was right to avoid the game.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 06:15:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I just thought of something that could have hurt Twilight Princess even if the other editors put some time into it.  The game actually starts off pretty weak.  For the first several hours of gameplay the progession is a really linear and it's not until after the third dungeon that you're given that usual Zelda freedom to just explore the world.  Initially large chunks of the world are in Twilight.  I think the game took a while to really get going.  I was willing to work through it because it's Zelda and I knew it would get better but someone with a natural bias against Nintendo wouldn't have such patience.  Most Zelda games let you roam around pretty early on after a brief intro but both Cube Zeldas seem to take forever to really get going.  I certainly would never use either Wind Waker or Twilight Princess to introduce Zelda to someone.

Still any game editor of any sort of credibility should be familiar enough with Zelda to WANT to beat Twilight Princess, let alone just try it out.  Have you ever met anyone with a serious interest in gaming that DIDN'T like Zelda?  That's that universal game series that everyone loves.

I agree that the game does take a while to get going, but it isn't as bad as in other games (Kingdom Hearts 2 LITERALLY took 3 hours to fully start). Plus there are some funny moments (like Link getting pwned by the cat).

And Pro, they avoided Wind waker too...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 06:26:08 AM »
Not true.  Wind Wacker got 40/40 from Famitshoe.  That is a flaming success.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 06:53:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Not true.  Wind Wacker got 40/40 from Famitshoe.  That is a flaming success.

Famitshoe can suck it...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
I never thought TP started off slow, I thought it had enough set-up to make you enjoy the characters. Honestly I see nothing about it that was slow, and like was stated before a game like Kh2 was a perfect example of starting off slow (THough I didn't mind).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 12:33:43 PM »
I thought TP started off kinda slow.  Not too bad, though.
GOREGASM!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 05:47:58 AM »
Slow compared to MM's RUNNING START.

SOME DUDE JACKED YO' RIDE.  IT'S TIME TO KILL THAT FOO'

Adventure Awesome ensues.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 05:50:54 AM »
TP's "slowness" was the calm before the storm.

Originally posted by: pap64 Famitshoe can suck it...

...And then they can give it a perfect 40!
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64