Author Topic: GameCube Price Drop and New Specs for Japan  (Read 15033 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
GameCube Price Drop and New Specs for Japan
« on: March 19, 2004, 07:05:04 AM »
Nintendo announces "new" prices for GameCube in Japan, as well as some minor changes to the hardware.  UPDATE: New information from Nintendo of America.

According to an official release by Nintendo Co. Ltd. in Japan, as well as a report by Famitsu's website, there are some changes being made to the GameCube in Japan.

The system's price has been modified to now include tax.  The actual price points are unchanged, but tax will no longer be added on top, so this is effectively a price cut of a few thousand yen.  The change will be effective on March 22nd.

Also, there are two slight modifications to the hardware.  Most notably, the D-terminal ("digital" video out) port is being removed.  It appears that NCL may be releasing a new component video cable which conforms to the proprietary multi-out jack, as the current D-terminal cables will not be compatible with the new system model.

The other hardware change is that the label on the top of the system will no longer be interchangeable.  This feature has been rarely used in the U.S., but NCL's Club Nintendo service offers many alternative labels for gamers who register their products.

UPDATE: Today, Planet GameCube spoke with with Nintendo of America representatives about this story.  Company spokesperson Beth Llewelyn has confirmed that these hardware changes will apply to all versions of GameCube, around the world.  Production of the new model is expected to begin in May, but it is unclear when the rollout will begin in specific regions.  There are no plans to match the price drop outside of Japan.

Nintendo has determined that less than 1% of GameCube users have employed the output jack being removed in the new model.  Because the hardware is selling at such a low pricepoint, the company decided to cut its manufacturing cost by removing this feature.  Although we are not sure about the existence of a new component cable apparently planned for release in Japan, Nintendo of America has no plans for such a cable.  Instead, the company will create a service whereby consumers who buy the new model may trade it in for the old model, if they desire the component video feature.  The actual component cables must still be purchased separately (directly from Nintendo, as always).  It is possible that this is the plan for Japan as well, and that the specifics were lost in our crude translation.

We will continue following this story to provide further details and clarification.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Guys Goof Off with Games
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 07:54:54 AM »
The title for this thread is quite wrong.

Anyway I'm a little pissed off that they're changing the hardware.  If this change comes to North America and my Cube breaks and I have to buy a new one then I'll also have to buy a new component cable to work with my new system.  It's an unlikely scenario but it still sucks.  The possibility of playing SNES games with the component cable is pretty cool though.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: GameCube Price Drop and New Specs for Japan
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 08:29:34 AM »
Fixed the title thread ;-)

It looks like my VGA GameCube cable won't work with Nintendo's next system...
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:GameCube Price Drop and New Specs for Japan
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 08:41:06 AM »
Ian, I found out after posting this news that SNES and N64 would not be able to output component video because they weren't designed for it.  The new cable will fit in the old systems, but you won't get any picture.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Selochin

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »
why was the d-terminal analog in the first place? I have a HDTV and after seeing the substantial improvement in picture quality when switching from composite to component cables, I was surprised to read that component was analog. Or did I just misunderstand? Keep up the BS-free news, PGC!
Nintendo had better have something amazing planned for next generation if it plans to be a serious competitor.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 02:35:16 PM »
Component video is an analog standard.  For digital, you would need DVI or something like that.  That's a true digital signal.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 03:39:44 PM »
Less than 1% of GameCube users have employed the output jack for two reasons: First, they aren't available at retail. Second, most devices that actually have a component input usually only have one, and since DVD players typically don't have component input, that leaves you stuck buying some sort of switch. There's really not that many people who care to go through all that trouble.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 03:54:20 PM »
Wow.  I am one of the few 1% GameCube users who has the component cables! ^_^

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 06:35:18 PM »
I'm one of the 1% as well.

Nintendo is so F*CKING STUPID sometimes.  When the cable is only available online (and that's only for the States, us Canadians have to order by phone) and is designed in such a way that third parties like Monster Cable cannot produce alternatives then OF COURSE only 1% of Cube users are going to use it.  Nintendo DECIDED that this wouldn't be widely used and sure enough it hasn't.  I have no idea WHY they would do this aside from the obvious "Nintendo is a huge dumbass" excuse.  You know why some of us are always negative about Nintendo?  It's because of STUPID SH!T like this.

You can complain about the quality of the games from the competition but at least they don't cover their eyes and blatantly ignore what doesn't interest them.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 06:39:32 PM »
Eh, before you blame Nintendo for being the cause of so few people using component cables on the Gamecube, it might be a good idea to find out how many people use component cables on the XBox and PS2. Regardless of the reason so few people use the component cables, I'd say at this point Nintendo is entirely justified in removing the port, especially since it wasn't digital anyway and you can still use component cables on the new designs.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 09:20:50 PM »
Besides which, who cares? We've already got our Cubes, and they've already got the ports in them.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 04:08:43 AM »
Just a note on those who have multiple devices that connect using component jacks. I have three devices myself, and my tv only supports two. As a fix, I just use 'Y' adapters, putting my X-Box and Gamecube on the same channel. No switching switches or anything involved. I have also checked how they look without the adapters and have not noticed a difference. If anyone who reads this is interested, give it a shot. Better than buying a $100 switch for 6 devices when all you have is 3 or four.

And I must say initially I was disappointed by this news, as it's more indications of Nintendo trying to roll back time instead of embracing the possibilities of the future. But thinking about it, it is just a smart move of reducing costs. I believe that this move won't be repeated on the next generation of machines since tv's will be required to accept HD signals by 2007 (or is it 2006 now?), which should be smack in the middle of the next console's life. Most users will be using adapters for their tv, but perhaps those adapters will have input options??

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 04:17:20 AM »
Will Nintendo still be selling the digital component cable online?  I've put buying it on the backburner for a long time.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 05:38:50 AM »
" it might be a good idea to find out how many people use component cables on the XBox and PS2."

read some home theater forums and you will see that a boatload of people use component hookups for gaming, I would honestly guess it is around 35%. I just bought MVP2004 for x-box and it plays in 720P and it damn stunning on my set.
THis is just another example of Nintendo thinking technology wont catch on so they leave it out and look like idiots for it.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 06:21:36 AM »

read some home theater forums and you will see that a boatload of people use component hookups for gaming,

Of courser people on home theater forums will use component cables. I'm talking about the vast majority of XBox and PS2 owners who don't post on home theater forums.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2004, 07:42:52 AM »
"Eh, before you blame Nintendo for being the cause of so few people using component cables on the Gamecube, it might be a good idea to find out how many people use component cables on the XBox and PS2."

It doesn't really matter how many people actually use it for the other consoles.  The important thing is that the option should be available.  Nintendo has never embraced this technology and are now getting rid of it.  That's the problem.  They're limiting something for no reason and are adding to that list of "excuses not to buy a Cube" which is getting pretty long and is full of seemingly small insignificant stuff that Nintendo has entirely inflicted on themselves.  I could tie this into online gaming but I don't need that arguement again (and this is different since there's no issue of profitability).  I assure you though that since the PS2 and Xbox are more accomidating to technology geeks and allow THIRD PARTY cables to be sold in stores the percentage of users who use those cables is much greater.

Plus the real issue isn't the removal of the component hookup.  The real issue is that Nintendo has spent this generation with their head in the sand blatantly ignoring any changes to the market.  This is just another example of Nintendo's ignorance and shows that they aren't learning anything.  Nintendo is not number one anymore and thus cannot decide what the market wants.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2004, 08:01:27 AM »
Ian: You'll still be able to use component cables, they'll just be DIFFERENT component cables. The port was digital in the first place, so it won't make any difference that it's gone. And considering so few people use it, I think Nintendo is jusitifed in removing it at this point. It's not limiting the Gamecube in anyway, it's just taking away a port that not only was being ignored by 99% of it's owners, but didn't do anything the other port couldn't. I really think you're overreacting- Jesus Christ man, get over it. I don't see how you can possibly form the conclusion that Nintendo is oblivious to the market just from some small problems. I agree they're things that could have been fixed, and together need to be fixed, but you need to calm down a little, let the adrenaline seep out of your body,  and stop complaining. You're assuming too much from too little information. You're only focusing on the bad- one bad thing to you mars an otherwise perfect picture. Stop being such a pessimist.

And you know what? Who cares that Nintendo isn't number one anymore? And who cares if they're the cause of their own perceived limitations? All that matters is if you like their games. Gamers have become too obsessed with the fine details- we all need to learn how to just enjoy the industry's namesake, not get too caught up in the industry itself. If you're blowing up at one little news story like this, you seriously need to reconsider why you started gaming in the first place.  

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2004, 08:13:43 AM »
"Gamers have become too obsessed with the fine details, we all need to learn how to just enjoy the games."

that is a blatent crock of chit! Details are what seperate the good from the great. I have a $10,000 Home theater, and want to get the most out of it. If the component cables arent readily available, people wont buy them because of the trouble. Developers wont include 480P support because no one can get their hands on the f'in cables. It is one big circle, all formed by Nintendos stupidity. As for enjoying the games, I enjoy them a hell of a lot more in 480P or 720P with 5.1 audio, it just makes for a much more engrossing experience.

"You'll still be able to use component cables, they'll just be DIFFERENT component cables."

So like Ian said, if my cube dies, I will need to buy new cables as well. Nintendo can shove that scenerio straight up their arse. I will throw the whole thing in the garbage before I spend another nickle supporting a company that doesnt deserve my money. This is just one more reason in my "this is my last nintendo console" file.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 08:27:21 AM »
Stop obsessing over how much money Nintendo made in the 3rd quarter of whatever, or how you'll have to buy some new component cables on the off chance your Gamecube breaks, and play a game. Up until recently I was playing my Gamecube on a 9 year old 15 inch "TV" via the crappiest R/F cables you could possibly imagine, but it didn't matter to me because I loved my games. That's what gaming is about, not the details. Stop being so superficial.    

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2004, 09:03:51 AM »
"but it didn't matter to me because I loved my games. That's what gaming is about, not the details. Stop being so superficial. "

that again is a crock of chit. I love the games as well,  but that doesnt mean that  they shouldnt offer the most entertaining experience possible, especially when your direct competitors do.
This isnt about being superficial, it is about getting the most out of a game. Hearing a zombie sneak up behind you before you see him, seeing the tiniest shadowy clues of a creature lurking ina dark room, this is all enhanced with resolution increases and audio capabilities. A game that is good will still be good on your 15 inch set with one speaker, it will be great on a 51 inch widescreen, in 720P with 5.1 dolby digital blaring sound. That is just the simple truth of it, especially whne game developers put these effects in game yet NIN doesnt make the nessasary tools to utilize them.

Widescreen HD TV's are selling in record numbers as are HTIB (home theater in a box) setups for 5, 6 and 7.1 surround sound. This tech is now affordable for a large number of people, a large number of which play games. Nins lack of tech to maximize this stuff (no DD support), coupled with a lack of sports and violent titles is a bad thing, I cant believe anyone could see it any differantly, especially when longevity and sustained profitability come into the picture.

So you can call it superficial all you want, I believe color TV was once laughed at and called supficial as well.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2004, 09:10:23 AM »
"You'll still be able to use component cables, they'll just be DIFFERENT component cables."

Is that so?  Then what does THIS mean:

"Although we are not sure about the existence of a new component cable apparently planned for release in Japan, Nintendo of America has no plans for such a cable. Instead, the company will create a service whereby consumers who buy the new model may trade it in for the old model, if they desire the component video feature."

That to me sounds like NO COMPONENT INPUT period.  If you buy a new Cube and want component scan you have to trade a new model for an old model.  That's an even bigger pain than what we had before.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2004, 10:48:06 AM »
It's funny how every one accuses Nintendo of doing something stupid when Sony did the same thing back in the PS1 days. If you can remember the original PS1 had regular RCA a/v jacks in the back, (as well an s-video jack if you got one of the first versions) but Sony later removed them for a proprietary (SP) port. Me and my friends were really angry with this especially since he had a Guncon which needed the composite a/v port. We did find ways around that for the Guncon, and Sony did release that weird "a/v adapter."

I also didn't read that this would get rid of progressive scan on the GCN. I think that everyone is jumping the gun on that one. The old a/v out is fully capable of RGB and probably proscan, (since all it really revolves around is a different voltage output right?) and if not then I’m sure the newer version of the GCN will have the a/v out support it. The only problem I see with this is the auto sensing ability of the digital out port, were if you hold b it will only work if you had the component cable plugged in, but that is probably going to be fixed by an option in the GCN's internal menu.

If you ever really look at the digital a/v jack it has more pins then it actually needs, and coupled with the fact that the cables have a DAC converter in them, some people on other forums have theorized that was for digital audio which we all know the GCN doesn’t support to begin with. Maybe Nintendo was going to phase out the old port for the next gen but later decided that it would be cheaper for them to use the old port along with some standard digital audio output option, like optical or coaxial.

The only thing I find stupid about this whole thing is that NOA said they will exchange old GCNs for new ones, when it would probably be cheaper to carry the new cables instead. I think that comment was just NOA quelling fears without all the info.

This will probably make the prices of the newer version component cables go way down because there will be no need for a DAC, and without a DAC other companies like Monster and Madcatz can make third party ones.

Sorry for the long nature of this post as well as any grammar/spelling errors.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2004, 02:15:17 PM »
These mass-market redesigns always cut corners.  It's basically a matter of making the system as cheap as possible for a bit more profit and future price drops.  I remember when the top-loading NES came out, they completely got rid of some of the outputs, and as someone else said, Sony did the same type of thing with the PlayStation.  The reason companies do this is because the average mass market consumer doesn't care enough about gaming to take advantage of these features.  If they did, they would have gotten the system sooner.

However, this generation is a little different I think because the market is becoming less polarized.  More and more of us this gen are getting second or third systems.  I'm considering getting an Xbox when the price drops, and I'm going to have to order cables for it too because the included cables don't support digital audio.  Xbox and PS2 owners that pick up a GameCube to play RE4 are going to be a little frustrated if they have to go through some trade-in process or order cables from Japan.    
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2004, 03:13:29 PM »
My GOD I think you people are over-reacting a bit.
Think about it for a second. Exactly how many game players do you know who have over $10,000 worth of progressive scan TV and equipment? Most of these game systems are more than likely plugged up to the smaller TV in the household, in the rumpus room or whatever it's called, probably a good chunk are still using the RF adaptor.
You are jumping to conclusions and whining just like I'd expect from IGNCube. Boo-frickity-hoo. GET OVER IT.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2004, 06:55:37 PM »
I occasionally bring my GameCube to my Uncle's house and play on his 50+ in. widescreen HDTV (in progressive scan).  I don't have my own HDTV yet, but it's important to me to be able to get the most out of my system that I can.

I think it'd be cool if next generation, Nintendo launched with two versions of it's next gen. system.  A regular mass-market one and one with a built in cable modem, extra memory slots, a built in GameBoy Player, DVD support (or something along that idea).  Kind of like the Q, but with more features. A shiny, mirror-like look would be pretty sweet, too.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net