Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537646 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #675 on: December 15, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »
The Holy Mountain - 10/10
Fucking epic movie. You'll think it's all nonsense if you can't follow along, but the end makes everything else make sense. Also, if you know anything about tarot cards it helps, I guess. Watch it, then thank me. Lots of nudity, male and female, and some pretty disturbing scenes, so watch it only with people that can handle **** like that (or watch alone).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:30 AM »
Treasure Planet - 8.5/10 - Wow, this was a surprise.  I'm really of two minds about this movie: on the one hand, the animation in this movie is gorgeous (though still not up to par with the glory of the Holy Disney Trinity); the writing is really quite good and sticks surprisingly closer to the core themes of the original Treasure Island than any previous adaptation; and there are moments of the movie that are genuinely exciting.  On the other hand, I really wish Disney had made up their mind whether they were going to do a futuristic take or a traditional animated take on "Treasure Island."  Instead, the movie tries to do both and so you have two extremes that just don't mesh together very well.  For example, the movie portrays space as this fantastical and dangerous frontier...yet characters can breathe in space.  It's "the future", but we still have buildings made of wood.  And after Mrs. Hawking's family inn gets burned down, apparently Hawkings and the professor leave her behind to apparently suffer in destitution (and probably prostitution) while they go adventuring off for fame and fortune.  Minor stuff like that, not to mention the entire existence of the "funny robot" at the end of the movie, just nagged at me the entire time.  The movie presented some truly fantastic concepts (I love the "book" that holographically projected its story with that famous British Voice Actor narrating it), but it just felt like the creativity was restrained by being shackled to the original Treasure Island story.  Still a good movie, though.

Atlantis 2: Milo's Return - 1/10 - I have absolutely nothing good to say about this Disney direct-to-DVD sequel to Atlantis.  This "movie" is more like a pilot to an Atlantis cartoon series, yet the animation is actually worse than Disney cartoon series of the 1990s.  The voice acting is also uniformly bad, and I didn't give a damn about any of the Scooby Doo-esque stories.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 19, 2009, 01:28:16 AM »
Avatar = Starship Troopers + Ferngully + Apocalypto +Last Samurai

9/10
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 19, 2009, 04:34:28 AM »
Inglorius Basterds - 9/10

I went in expecting more action, violence and out right carnage after seeing all the previews, but after an hour or so I remembered that this was a Quentin Tarantino film and the dialog is where the real action is at, even though there still was a fair amount of action in the movie.
It may seem to start off a little slow, but every scene has it's purpose in drawing you further into the story of the movie. Very well done.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 19, 2009, 04:49:13 AM »
Next up on my docket, Treasure Planet and Atlantis 2: the Search for More Money.  In case you're wondering, the whole reason I'm watching these movies now is because I ignored anything out of Disney after Mulan, Pocahantas, and especially Hercules showed me the company was growing incapable of engaging animated material.  I happened to finally see The Emperor's New Groove and Tarzan a few years back, and it seemed that maybe I missed a few gems along the way so now I'm trying to catch up on what I missed.

I want to do a similar thing but focus on all of the D2DVD and TV series that I missed. Though I realize now I missed a few more of the major movies than I thought. I'll be watching your reviews for good ones I missed.

PS-What do you mean by Disney Holly Trinity? Is that a widely used term or are those your favorite three?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 19, 2009, 06:41:45 AM »
Next up on my docket, Treasure Planet and Atlantis 2: the Search for More Money.  In case you're wondering, the whole reason I'm watching these movies now is because I ignored anything out of Disney after Mulan, Pocahantas, and especially Hercules showed me the company was growing incapable of engaging animated material.  I happened to finally see The Emperor's New Groove and Tarzan a few years back, and it seemed that maybe I missed a few gems along the way so now I'm trying to catch up on what I missed.

I want to do a similar thing but focus on all of the D2DVD and TV series that I missed. Though I realize now I missed a few more of the major movies than I thought. I'll be watching your reviews for good ones I missed.

PS-What do you mean by Disney Holly Trinity? Is that a widely used term or are those your favorite three?

I generally refer to the run of Beauty & the Beast, Lion King, and Aladdin as "the Holy Disney Trinity."  As far as I know, it's just my pet name for those 3 fantastic movies.  Yeah, I know I should probably make it a 4-some and add Little Mermaid in there, but I hate that movie.

And to recap for you, I'm all caught up now on the Disney animated movies that made it to theaters during the years I was ignoring Disney:

Atlantis - Good, but not great.  Also doesn't look all that great for a Disney theatrical release, but at least looks leagues better than its' D2DVD sequel.

Treasure Planet - Very good, but I wish they had just taken the concept of Treasure Island and done a futuristic take rather than have "Treasure Island...in...Spaaaaaaace!"  Very good animation, though, and (aside from one completely obnoxious and superfluous robot at the end of the movie) pretty decent writing.

Atlantis 2 - Avoid like the plague this D2DVD wannabe-TV pilot.

And just for good measure, some other movies in that time period you may have missed...

The Emperor's New Groove - Surprisingly good, and David Spade for once is actually funny while being annoying.  Very 4th Wall-breaking.

Tarzan - This movie gets a lot of crap for the Phil Collins music, but you know what?  I like Phil Collins, and I like this movie.  It's beautiful and has a decent story.  In fact its only flaws are having Rosie O' Donnell (a flaw the universe itself has yet to correct) and an incredibly weak villain.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:40:43 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:20 AM »
Avatar= the first reak "epic" movie I've seen. It was amazing from start to finish. Cameron created such a beautiful world... it was actually a shame that the movie ended because I just wanted to marvel at more of the environment and its people.

Simply amazing.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 19, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
The Emperor's New Groove is one of my favorite movies! You don't understand how much I love that movie.

Man my favortie part is at an 1:03:00
http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=52254
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 19, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
I want to go to Avatar but there is 10 inches of snow here! And in the mountains 10 inches is death! I will go sometime next week!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 19, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »
G.I.Joe - Bad on multiple levels. Two Stars

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #685 on: December 19, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »
Avatar:  While the run time seems daunting at the very least, the story is ok enough to not put you to sleep until the awesomeness that is the 3D effects battle scene.  If you don't see it in 3D, you're wasting your money. 8/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 20, 2009, 12:13:57 PM »
Avatar:  While the run time seems daunting at the very least, the story is ok enough to not put you to sleep until the awesomeness that is the 3D effects battle scene.  If you don't see it in 3D, you're wasting your money. 8/10

Agreed.  Saw it in 3D last night.  Though many of the diaglogue lines had me laughing and I could see the resolution of the story a mile away, the setting and characters were simply spell binding.  I actually want to watch it again.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 21, 2009, 02:19:50 AM »
For those of you who have had enough HD grey and brown, Avatar is the movie to see. The neon colors and magical world just blew me away.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 21, 2009, 02:35:01 AM »
yeah, my sister and law traveled all the way over to phx to watch it on imax, but when we got there the IMAX theater was sold out, we just drove 30 miles or so, so we went to the Harkins in the same mall. Has i known it was the first night I would have got tickets online. Still saw it in 3d, but man i still haven't seen an IMAX movie. I kinda want to watch it again.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 23, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »
I watched Avatar earlier. Really? We waited 12 years for this? It's a visually brilliant film (only Mario Galaxy stands up to it in terms of style), but True Lies is still James Camerons' best written work.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:49:06 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 23, 2009, 05:54:29 PM »
it was 14 years in the making.....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 23, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »
it gave me googly eyes for 2 hours :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 23, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »
So if I were to go watch this, would I be missing out if I didn't watch it in 3D?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 23, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »
well the first half of the movie is like 3d in your face everything, then it tones down the 3d, and then it kicks back up around the end with the action

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 23, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »

Your a damn fool to see this in 2D! It was amazing! The most beautiful visuals in a movie ever I think.
~David~

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 23, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
At most theaters, seeing it in 3D isn't much more.  To see it in 2D is just a waste.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 23, 2009, 10:07:33 PM »
It was $10.50 where I went.
~David~

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 24, 2009, 01:38:24 AM »
I wouldn't bother watching the film if it wasn't in 3D. In 3D it's a fucking experience.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #698 on: December 24, 2009, 02:39:14 AM »
You might as well go watch Rosanne give a 3 hour lecture on erectile dysfunction.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 24, 2009, 06:19:12 AM »
I think a 3 hour lecture from Roseanne would give me erectile dysfunction.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).