Author Topic: Epic: It's unreal how quickly you've trashed your companies reputation.  (Read 3590 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
So now EPIC has gone and bought out the Rocket League devs. BRB, gotta go uninstall Rocket League.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
So now EPIC has gone and bought out the Rocket League devs. BRB, gotta go uninstall Rocket League.
Wait, I’m not following. How are these related? Are you saying buying Psyonix trashes Epic’s reputation? If so, how? I suspect Rocket League may be exclusive to the Epic Game Store in the future. Is that problematic if you ready bought the game elsewhere?

Did Epic do something particularly shitty before this? I’m confused. I haven’t really been following gaming news outside of Nintendo.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Epic has a PC store these days that people don't like but my issue is more with this.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Wait, I’m not following. How are these related? Are you saying buying Psyonix trashes Epic’s reputation? If so, how? I suspect Rocket League may be exclusive to the Epic Game Store in the future. Is that problematic if you ready bought the game elsewhere?

Did Epic do something particularly shitty before this? I’m confused. I haven’t really been following gaming news outside of Nintendo.

I'll elaborate on this a bit more: Epic bought Psyonix, and so they're removing Rocket League from Steam as soon as it releases on the Epic store. I don't know what that means for people who already bought it on Steam.

Epic in general has been on a buying spree lately, shelling out ridiculous amounts of money to get exclusivity to titles like the latest Metro game, Borderlands 3, the new Obsidian game, etc. There are tons of issues with the Epic store itself, and on top of all that Epic lately has been in hot water over mistreatment of their employees.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure they said that people who've already bought it on Steam will still be able to play that version, it's just if you're one of the six people who hasn't already bought the game you'll have to get it on Epic if you want it on PC.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Rest in Peace Rocket League Linux support.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
What will happen with support for other platforms?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
What will happen with support for other platforms?

So far, the consoles have been unaffected, and I don't see why they ever would be. There's too much money to be made in them, and they don't affect Epic's PC-only store. The worst I could see is temporary PC exclusivity for some titles, but I don't see that even happening.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
The absolute worst case scenario is that Epic drops Linux support for Rocket League for a bit until they get the store running on Linux.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
The absolute worst case scenario is that Epic drops Linux support for Rocket League for a bit until they get the store running on Linux.

It's on Mac as well.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Ah, I understand now.

To be fair, extreme crunch is an industry wide problem. I read on ResetEra that pretty much just Nintendo brings in whole other teams to help with development instead of forcing people to work obscene amounts of overtime. I haven’t verified that so I’m not sure if that’s true. If someone wants to put their body and health on the line (e.g. Masahiro Sakaurai), that’s their choice, not mine. Personally, I’m perfectly happy with waiting for a game. I would prefer people not voluntarily do that and I definitely don’t want employers and contractors imposing mandatory overtime (which is bullshit regardless of its paid) on employees who ultimately fear reprisal if they don’t tow the line. I work in IT, and I’m glad I don’t work in the video game industry if only for the horror stories I’ve read.

Additionally, I kind of feel like I’m part of the problem. I don’t stop buying these games, similar to how I don’t stop buying certain electronics even though it’s apparently a fucking nightmare at Foxconn in China. Still, I don’t know if widespread boycotting of a game from a company that treats employees and contractors poorly will ever send the right message. Even if we all plainly say, “Stop being dicks to your developers or we’ll stop buying your games,” will companies take that seriously or will they blame the product which, in a way, is blaming the developers?

I’ve read that developers should unionize, and I just don’t have enough information to know how feasible this is.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Additionally, I kind of feel like I’m part of the problem. I don’t stop buying these games, similar to how I don’t stop buying certain electronics even though it’s apparently a fucking nightmare at Foxconn in China. Still, I don’t know if widespread boycotting of a game from a company that treats employees and contractors poorly will ever send the right message. Even if we all plainly say, “Stop being dicks to your developers or we’ll stop buying your games,” will companies take that seriously or will they blame the product which, in a way, is blaming the developers?

I think it would have to be an organized movement so a company knows specifically that the "No Crunch" movement has targeted them.  If it's just seemingly random people not buying a game then they'll interpret it how they want to.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I have no illusions about my decision to avoid giving money to Epic actually making a difference. It's more a matter of principle than anything for me.

Also most corporations nowadays will crack down on you hard if you even mention the word Union.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
This is why I am staying in traditional software/engineering work. I only ever had three exceptions in my mind when I started, Nintendo, Valve, and Blizzard, but now it is down to Nintendo themselves. Definitely something I would love to do down the road (probably in later years when I hopefully am just working for fun) but in reality I'll probably just publish my own games if I do get around to it.
My Game Collection

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
So are we just going to boycott companies that have crunch and mismanage workers? Cause I'm pretty sure that just means "quitting video games altogether".

Boycotts of this scale never work for simple reasons, mainly the number of people are too large. A true solution would be to further encourage unionization efforts and follow up on companies bad practices, like Riot's planned walkout over their recent counter-suit forcing employees into arbitration.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
This gets a little political so if mods don't like it, let me know and I'll take it down.  It is related to dev crunch so that's why I'm bringing it up.

In my home province of BC the "high tech" industry has an exception in the law regarding overtime pay.  This is to encourage the tech industry to set up shop in the province and gives them a lot more freedom than other businesses to do things like crunch time.  I'm making an assumption here but I'm guessing that other provinces and states probably have similar scenarios.  The problem might be solvable with fair labour laws that don't make exceptions for the tech industry.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Yeah, I don't think this is something consumers can fix by "voting with their dollar". Like Ian is suggesting, we vote with our vote and petition local legislatures to make changes. Other than that we encourage developers leave abusive employers and find jobs that make them happy and respect them as individuals. I just don't see unionizing ever happening with how the industry is right now. Unless it is more of a broad sort of trade union that bridges people across the industry, but I have no idea how that would work for devs. Would it be for game devs only? What qualifies? Artists and musicians for games count too?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:02:37 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I find this "crunch" thing interesting since I work in an industry where 100 hour weeks aren't exactly unheard of, and I've worked my fair share.  We call it "busy season" and it could last from a couple weeks to 2-3 months, depending on the client.  PTO is good, and outside of busy season, you can pretty much take it as you need to.

One question I have is: is the crunch temporary or seasonal?  I know a lot of people who've had "perpetual busy seasons" or many back-to-back, and people get burned out and quit over it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
In Fortnite's case it's apparently permanent crunch. Most other games it's the last month or two before release.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Oh, ok.  Yeah, then that's not reasonable.

The easiest fix to that is to just cycle your employees.  Let them work on the "bad jobs" for a while then put them on something a little lighter. 
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.