Author Topic: The UNDERDOG launch title of the Wii  (Read 3903 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
The UNDERDOG launch title of the Wii
« on: November 12, 2006, 03:56:14 PM »
Everybody's talking about getting the Wii with Zelda, Excite Truck, Red Steel, Rayman etc. but we forget that there are other titles at launch.

Out of all the titles at launch, which do you think is the underdog game of the pack? The game that will likely be ignored due to lack of hype. And most importantly, are you going to pick up/try out this game during or after launch?

Right now nothing comes to mind except the licensed games, but a great deal of them will suck, so yeah...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: The UNDERDOG launch title of the Wii
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:56:58 PM »
Trauma Center
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 04:00:02 PM »
Yeah, TC is probably going to get looked over by most, sadly.

Also, Metal Slug will probably get overlooked even though it'll be a lot of fun.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 04:09:42 PM »
I might try out Trauma Center after it goes down in price, same for Metal Slug.  I'm not really interested in anything else that's been shown, though, at least within the launch window.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 04:28:18 PM »
Trauma Center has my support.

IS THIS A POLL
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:32:20 PM »
Madden NFL 07' seems to have been fairly ignored.

Edit:

But Trauma Center deffinitly has the higher potential of being under-hyped by casual gamers.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 05:03:30 PM »
SUPER MONKEY BALL!

COME ON! I've waited 4 years for this. Not only does it look to be a worthy sequel, it's got FIFTY MINI GAMES!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 05:25:36 PM »
Yep, if Zelda is Wii's Halo (killer-app), and Red Steel is Wii's Oddworld (overhyped launch title that nobody will care about a few years from now), then Trauma Center is definitely Wii's.....crap, the Xbox didn't really have an underdog game at launch, did it? There goes that analogy.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:The UNDERDOG launch title of the Wii
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »
Are we including launch window or strictly launch? Because strictly launch = Metal Slug Anthology...easily.

Window? Hard fight between my 3rd most anticipated Wii game (Loli Golf...aka Super Swing Golf Pangya for the rest of you non-Bill or myself people ;x) and Elebits, more inclined to think Elebits but I think that will be a bit of a surprise sweetness title thus making Pangya the overlooked hot child /tear
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 06:10:01 PM »

Originally posted by: UniversalJuan
Are we including launch window or strictly launch? Because strictly launch = Metal Slug Anthology...easily.

Window? Hard fight between my 3rd most anticipated Wii game (Loli Golf...aka Super Swing Golf Pangya for the rest of you non-Bill or myself people ;x) and Elebits, more inclined to think Elebits but I think that will be a bit of a surprise sweetness title thus making Pangya the overlooked hot child /tear

I was thinking strictly launch, but if people want to include the post launch games they can.

Speaking of which, what IS the big game after launch? It seems that after Zelda, Red Steel, Rayman and Excite truck there isn't anything else worthy the hype and attention.

I could be wrong though...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 06:20:23 PM »

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 06:46:27 PM »
ELF BOWLING!!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 06:58:10 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering Red Steel is Wii's Oddworld (overhyped launch title that nobody will care about a few years from now).

Oddworld was a bad port from the PS2 (at least the engine was) while Red Steel is an innovative game built from the ground up to take proper advantage of the Wii hardware and controller.

I still have much higher hopes for RS then I ever would have had for Oddworld.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 07:05:58 PM »
Happy Feet.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 07:20:32 PM »

Speaking of which, what IS the big game after launch? It seems that after Zelda, Red Steel, Rayman and Excite truck there isn't anything else worthy the hype and attention.

Wario Ware

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 07:41:24 PM »
Um Boss Ross Painting anyone? or was that all a joke?
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Originally posted by: UniversalJuan

I was thinking strictly launch, but if people want to include the post launch games they can.

I could be wrong though...

Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, WarioWare, Metroid Prime 3 and probaly some others I'm forgetting.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ginx619

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 05:00:48 AM »
I think one game that will end up getting overlooked is Elebits. It doesn't come out at launch but it is in the launch window.  I don't hear many talk about it but it looks really fun. I don't see huge sales for it though because a) it's not going to be at launch, b) it's coming out a little too close to Christmas(Dec.12 or Dec.18) and c) it seems like something that casual gamers would think is too quirky.

I do think in the long run though it'll be one of those games that the Nintendo hardcore recommend as a great game to get your feet wet with the Wiimote interface.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 05:01:51 AM »
I'm going to make a bold statement: BOLD.  Oh wait.  I say that for hardcore gamers the underdog might just be Spongebob Squarepants.  NP and IGN both seem to be really into it and judging by screenshots, the art design is nuts.  There's definitely some real effort going into this game, but hardcores will ignore it because it's liscenced.

Of course, the game will be a hit with the mainstream.

Elebits has a lot of underdog potential since it got really mixed previews at E3...but that only counts if it has actually been fixed since then.

Metal Slug, Trauma Center and Super Swing Golf are all good underdog material.  Super Monkey Ball seems to be surprisingly ignored, but I bet it will do really well anyway.

If Wii picks up as many "non-gamers" at launch as some of us believe, a lot of these underdogs may do better than we expected.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 05:09:22 AM »
Marvel Ultimate Alliance.  I'm going to rent that game because I can't afford to buy it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 05:52:43 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I'm going to make a bold statement: BOLD.  Oh wait.  I say that for hardcore gamers the underdog might just be Spongebob Squarepants.  NP and IGN both seem to be really into it and judging by screenshots, the art design is nuts.  There's definitely some real effort going into this game, but hardcores will ignore it because it's liscenced.

Of course, the game will be a hit with the mainstream.

I feel the same way about Cars.

I played the PS2 version and I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't nothing to impressive but for the type of game it was it was rock solid. I want to see how the new controls work as well if they added anything new.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer