Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572157 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U is here
« Reply #5050 on: November 25, 2012, 03:00:43 AM »
My main question though was wether or not the WiiU improves the framerate of Wii games such as The Last Story.
No, it does not.

Offline Pantburster

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: November 25, 2012, 04:07:37 AM »
I'm sticking with my standard Wii it appeals to me more than the Wii U with its shockingly bad controller! what were Nintendo thinking? Iv'e been a lifelong fan but this was the last straw! they have tried to follow the trends by releasing an ipadalike controller - just aweful. Also where is the proper games? thy are seemingly giving up on metroid and F-zero and releasing more mario stuff than required, you can have too much of a good thing!

Your move N do the right thing by at least releasing some new ip or at least F zero or a new Metroid Prime or i'm outta here!

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: November 25, 2012, 04:38:33 AM »
Nintendo just released a new IP (Nintendo Land) and you still beg for more? We haven't had a Mario game at launch in over a decade, so that was something to look forward to. Nintendo and Platinum Games also have The Wonderful 101 coming out next year. And Miiverse looks amazing, a huge step up from the social communication services that Sony and Microsoft currently offer (I do love PlayStation Home).

The Wii U is just 1 week old. Give it a few months to mature before you start bashing it. The surprises will come eventually, just be patient. God damn, Reggie was right, gamers are insatiable and ungrateful.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: November 25, 2012, 05:24:59 AM »
Nintendo pretty much started the touchscreen trend, before DS touchscreens were around, but not popular. When DS came out people had RAZR phones. DS came out 2.5 years before the Iphone.  If anybody started the touchpad trend, it was either Palm or Nintendo. I remember when DS came out I thought "if this had a few more features it would be super awesome like a computer..."

They just released Other M in September of 2010. Retro, might be working on a new one. F-zero never had a normal release schedule. In fact I will say F-Zero is the antithesis of Madden.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: November 25, 2012, 05:27:49 AM »
I'm sticking with my standard Wii it appeals to me more than the Wii U with its shockingly bad controller! what were Nintendo thinking? Iv'e been a lifelong fan but this was the last straw! they have tried to follow the trends by releasing an ipadalike controller - just aweful. Also where is the proper games? thy are seemingly giving up on metroid and F-zero and releasing more mario stuff than required, you can have too much of a good thing!

Your move N do the right thing by at least releasing some new ip or at least F zero or a new Metroid Prime or i'm outta here!

F-Zero is one thing but the last Metriod came out only 2 years ago.  Plus Other M still sold at least 500k, which is more then the last 3 F-Zero games combined did, showing Metriod is still far above F-Zero on Nintendo's scale of importance.

Seriously, people need to stop acting like Metroid is a dead series when it had more games then most other Nintendo franchises in the last decade and most of them still put up decent sales.  Not Mario level, but no where close to F-Zero dead level.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: November 25, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »
Has anyone tried an USB GC controller adapter to see if it works?  WII U doesn't have GC ports but I wonder if it still has GC drivers at least?

That way when ESHOP--Gamecube games go on sale you'll still be able to play them with standard GC controllers.

Also anyone tried an USB Fight stick modded with an GC PBC board?  Kinda want to know since I'm already ordering an light kit for my fight stick and might as well figure out what options I have for the WII U. 

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: November 25, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Do you guys get a black boarder when in Wii mode?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5057 on: November 25, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »
Has anyone tried an USB GC controller adapter to see if it works?  WII U doesn't have GC ports but I wonder if it still has GC drivers at least?
A USB GC controller adapter wouldn't be running GC drivers anyway.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: November 25, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
I watched the 007 Legends trailer on the eShop and it looked like all the shaders were turned off compared to the 360/PS3 version. Was it originally planned for the Wii and then they just moved it to Wii U? I hope it looks better when it comes out, with lighting and textures turned back on.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #5059 on: November 26, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »
Forget F-Zero, I want a Star Fox game. The lack of a Star Fox attraction in Nintendo Land seems like a bad sign... :(
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: November 26, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #5061 on: November 26, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »
Discussion point: Given the two thumbsticks and the gyroscopes in the WiiU GamePad, is the WiiU the first system with triple analog control? (Think about controlling the ship in Metroid Blast - that's triple analog.)
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5062 on: November 26, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/26/why-borderlands-2-isnt-on-wii-u?abthid=50b3bec474e543523b000007

lamest excuse ever, shame on you Randy.

Lame indeed. He is basically saying they didn't do a Wii U port because he couldn't think of anything unique to do with the Wii U version. Either he was lazy or stupid because there are simple things he could do like put the map and inventory control on the GamePad. Plus, they could have just ported the same version and left it like that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: November 26, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/26/why-borderlands-2-isnt-on-wii-u?abthid=50b3bec474e543523b000007

lamest excuse ever, shame on you Randy.

Lame indeed. He is basically saying they didn't do a Wii U port because he couldn't think of anything unique to do with the Wii U version. Either he was lazy or stupid because there are simple things he could do like put the map and inventory control on the GamePad. Plus, they could have just ported the same version and left it like that.
If I was a game developer I wouldn't had put Borderland 2 on it.  Maybe a collection of 1 and 2 enhanced but not just 2 because, whose going to buy it?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
I don't think the Borderlands games are that story-driven. This isn't Mass Effect 3, it's more like Black Ops 2; not having played the previous game isn't really a problem.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: November 26, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »
Borderlands 2 is a big split screen coop game (because single player is dull) so there's a use for the Gamepad screen right there. Stopping making lame excuses Pitchford!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: November 26, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »
Another lame thing I read was in IGN's reasoning for saying to not buy the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3. They said you shouldn't buy it because you can't get ME and ME2 on Wii U (even though the Wii U version includes a motion comic that tells the story of the first two games, just like ME2 for PS3 did with the original). That's like saying you shouldn't buy a movie sequel on Blu Ray if the first film is only on DVD and VHS. Horrible logic.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: November 26, 2012, 04:57:33 PM »
I don't think the Borderlands games are that story-driven. This isn't Mass Effect 3, it's more like Black Ops 2; not having played the previous game isn't really a problem.
Which is fine but back to is their enough people who don't have it who would want it?  I think not.  Especially with Steam sales.

Another lame thing I read was in IGN's reasoning for saying to not buy the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3. They said you shouldn't buy it because you can't get ME and ME2 on Wii U (even though the Wii U version includes a motion comic that tells the story of the first two games, just like ME2 for PS3 did with the original). That's like saying you shouldn't buy a movie sequel on Blu Ray if the first film is only on DVD and VHS. Horrible logic.
As someone whose played all those games on the same platform I agree.  Whatever platform you start on should be the on you finish on (and that should be PC.)   Especially with the Trilogy coming out.  In a way it be like only reading a comic for the first two original Star Wars and then watching the last one otherwise.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: November 26, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
I just don't get that logic. Say you have ME and ME2 for Xbox 360 and you just bought a Wii U. Why should you buy it for Xbox 360 and not Wii U? Of if you didn't even buy a PS3 or 360, and don't have a gaming PC, why should you completely skip this game since you only have a Wii U?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: November 26, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
I just don't get that logic. Say you have ME and ME2 for Xbox 360 and you just bought a Wii U. Why should you buy it for Xbox 360 and not Wii U? Of if you didn't even buy a PS3 or 360, and don't have a gaming PC, why should you completely skip this game since you only have a Wii U?
Think about it like this.  You have been playing on a basketball team with your friends for 2 seasons.  You know each other and even do things with them.  You have a good relationship going into the 3rd season.

Now think about if your someone who is coming in just in that third season.  You can hear the stories but a lot is missing by not being there.  Its a lot like that.

This game has a enough ripples and in things that not playing it where you can transfer saves (or with all the DLC for that matter) will diminish the value of the game.  ME3 is not good enough to stand on its own without the other 2 games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:11 PM »
I have a feeling that their publisher simply felt it was too long after the initial release on other systems.

Hopefully we won't be hearing this same excuse for Borderlands 3...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5071 on: November 26, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
It was two freaking months.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: November 26, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Two months is a long time in the gaming world, especially when games like these tend to have front-loaded sales. I remember a few GameCube games that didn't sell because they came out about two months after the other versions.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: November 26, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
As a Wii U owner i would feel better if a developr just kept their mouth shut in the first place instead of coming up with lame excuses to justify why a game is not on a given platform, i mean you came up with ideas for aliens an not for borderlands, the potential for the gamepad usage for borderlands is inmnese since is a game that requires menu navigation all the time, the gamepad would be a logical fit, but i guess they just look for lame justifications so people buy future products. With Mass Effect is the same thing, anouncing Mass effect three for wii u,and later for the same price announce the trilogy on the other two consoles, that is just a shitty move by ea, well we all know their track record. I mean i am happy for those wii u owners who are experiencing the game for the first time, but clearly we nintendo fans always get ripped off by third parties, thats why i have no shame in saying that i buy a nintendo console for nintendo games, and if a good third party or colaboration comes around i would gladly give it a shot.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: November 26, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
Two months is a long time in the gaming world, especially when games like these tend to have front-loaded sales. I remember a few GameCube games that didn't sell because they came out about two months after the other versions.

I think it's more that 2K haven't jumped aboard the Wii U yet. They think it's going to be another casual gaming machine like the Wii. They seem to be taking a wait and see approach before supporting the platform
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle